Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Obesity.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
Thanks for that insightful comment Toby, well done. For the record I never once suggested it was a solution to obesity, simply a more reasonable means of distributing the cost.

Dom wrote:
Edit: As far as 'Fat people should be helped, not criminalised.', well I agree with you to an extent but the reality is people are only fat because these days everyone can afford to be. If keeping yourself in 50" trousers was a little more expensive maybe people wouldn't need 'em so much.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Dom wrote:
Thanks for that insightful comment Toby, well done. For the record I never once suggested it was a solution to obesity, simply a more reasonable means of distributing the cost.

Dom wrote:
Edit: As far as 'Fat people should be helped, not criminalised.', well I agree with you to an extent but the reality is people are only fat because these days everyone can afford to be. If keeping yourself in 50" trousers was a little more expensive maybe people wouldn't need 'em so much.

Not a solution but it might help! Anyway my motivation is purely selfish. I'd like whatever portion of my taxes that goes towards the NHS to be spent on those who are ill as a result of reasons other than laziness.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 12:44 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another myth that irks me, is this notion that living in poverty means you need to buy gash food. I personally can get a weeks shopping in, with lots of fresh fruit and veg (good quality fruit and veg) and decent meat for about £25 a week plus luxury goods like some good filtered coffee.

Put it another way, how on earth did people manage to have a decent diet when we had rationing imposed? Or even after it was lifted? The problem is ignorance/laziness rather than money IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:48 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you there Craigie, at the moment I am feeding two people on only £30 a week.

Our main meals consist of: -
Spaghetti Bolognese
Vegetable stir fry
chicken sweet and sour
chilli con carne
sausages and BBQ sauce with mash.

That isn't a whole week, but an idea of what we have most weeks, for little money, that isn't buying the "Tesco Value" style products either. I think the little time that people give to cooking these days is scary, if they can't cook it in the microwave in less than 10 minutes then it is not worth having. Thing is obese people junk on so much sugary and fat foods, that they quickly feel hungry again leading to snacking.

I also fully agree with you on the notion that obese people aren't victims but willing participants. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 12:54 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is people no longer know how to live with their body. The body is designed (depending on who you believe) to run, jump skip and hunt. We're hunter gathers, we're suppossed to be outside being active.

Unfortunately people find the slightest notion of physical effort to be abhorrent, instead choosing to moan and be victimised by their own in action. It shocks me that people can't/won't cook and resort to eating shit. ITs yor fucking body, its what carries you through life. You wouldn't build a house with shit materials or repair your brand new R1 with dodgy substandard parts, yet when it comes to the very thing people are reliant on every day of their life they will fill it up with shite.

Diet and food is one of the most important things in life. It supercedes the desires for wealth, reproduction, everything barring water and air since its the very thing that keeps you alive yet people treat it as if its something that is a 'hassle'. It shows how twisted modern life has made us.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 13:12 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is more around lifestyle than food.

Most people spend all day at work, sitting in front of a computer terminal or wired into a telephone. They get the minimum lunch break - just enough time to scoff down sufficient food, which needs to be easily digested to get it down quick enough, to keep them going the rest of the day.

If we spent longer over our food and appreciated it a little more like the French do, we would be less obese as a nation. They take their time over lunch breaks and eat little and often, savouring the flavour of the food and enjoying it rather than just eating for necessity.

If we want to make the nation thinner we need longer lunch breaks where there is time to go and exercise and eat slowly.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
The issue is more around lifestyle than food.

Most people spend all day at work, sitting in front of a computer terminal or wired into a telephone. They get the minimum lunch break - just enough time to scoff down sufficient food, which needs to be easily digested to get it down quick enough, to keep them going the rest of the day.

If we spent longer over our food and appreciated it a little more like the French do, we would be less obese as a nation. They take their time over lunch breaks and eat little and often, savouring the flavour of the food and enjoying it rather than just eating for necessity.

If we want to make the nation thinner we need longer lunch breaks where there is time to go and exercise and eat slowly.

Wink

Definitely a lot of truth in that 'bella. Thumbs Up However it's still not really a good enough excuse as to become obese really requires that you eat a hell of a lot of food and do absolutely nothing. I admit that it can be quite difficult to achieve a good level of fitness with the work culture we have but we're not really talking about that, just staying relatively healthy. And that can be achieved as easily as paying the slightest bit of attention to what you're eating and ensuring that you do walk more than five yards a day.

In truth I do have difficulty empathising with people who are so huge as, like Craig says, our bodies are so important, and these people appear not to care. And if they don't care then why should I have any sympathy?

Annabella

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just our work culture, but also the general unpleasentness of public leisure facilities.

I enjoy going running after work, but during the winter it's too dark to go running on my own safely, so this year I used the public leisure centre pool on my way home from work. Most evenings it is ok, but often it is overly busy, dirty and costs £4 for a swim and the use of a locker. There's no pleasure in it and I can wholly understand why most people would much rather go straight home, wang a ready meal in the microwave and gorge on the delights of a salt and sugar rich fat-bath.

Once it becomes uncomfortable and difficult to exercise it's even harder to break the cycle.

It's also not just people who are too lazy to exercise and too stupid to eat properly. We mustn't forget people who really do have genuine problems, whether they be psychological or physical. These are the people that need the support of the NHS to help them become more healthy and I would never want to see that support to be taken away from them. However, your average 'fatty' just hasn't felt the benefits of exercising or eating well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
It's not just our work culture, but also the general unpleasentness of public leisure facilities.

I enjoy going running after work, but during the winter it's too dark to go running on my own safely, so this year I used the public leisure centre pool on my way home from work. Most evenings it is ok, but often it is overly busy, dirty and costs £4 for a swim and the use of a locker. There's no pleasure in it and I can wholly understand why most people would much rather go straight home, wang a ready meal in the microwave and gorge on the delights of a salt and sugar rich fat-bath.

Once it becomes uncomfortable and difficult to exercise it's even harder to break the cycle.

It's also not just people who are too lazy to exercise and too stupid to eat properly. We mustn't forget people who really do have genuine problems, whether they be psychological or physical. These are the people that need the support of the NHS to help them become more healthy and I would never want to see that support to be taken away from them. However, your average 'fatty' just hasn't felt the benefits of exercising or eating well.

All fair points. Actually something that is almost as frustrating as the work/food culture is the way exercise is often seen. For many it is what you do at the gym and there's no more to it than that. To me that's sooo depressing as there are so many really enjoyable ways of getting fit and staying in shape and many of them can be quite relaxing, it's not as if you need to have your heart at 200bpm for what you're doing to qualify as exercise. Equally those who eat junk food cause they say it makes 'em feel good are missing out on so much; the amount of nice chemicals your brain churns out after a good run / cycle / whatever makes the pain oh so worthwhile. Laughing

Anyway I'm risking going off topic here... where was I? Ah yes, I'm a stupid evil bastard ain't that right Toby? Wink

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
Annabella wrote:

All fair points. Actually something that is almost as frustrating as the work/food culture is the way exercise is often seen. For many it is what you do at the gym and there's no more to it than that. To me that's sooo depressing as there are so many really enjoyable ways of getting fit and staying in shape and many of them can be quite relaxing, it's not as if you need to have your heart at 200bpm for what you're doing to qualify as exercise. Equally those who eat junk food cause they say it makes 'em feel good are missing out on so much; the amount of nice chemicals your brain churns out after a good run / cycle / whatever makes the pain oh so worthwhile. Laughing

Anyway I'm risking going off topic here... where was I? Ah yes, I'm a stupid evil bastard ain't that right Toby? Wink

Yes Wink

No I just think that taxation isn't the answer.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:15 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, from looking at the article then tax may be the solution. The aussies have had to purchase a fleet of super sized ambuances to get tubbies into hosptal...WTF. I doubt it would do much to stop peple from hooning pizza's but the money needs to come from somewhere and I doubt many health care budgets have made allowances for the purchase of a super size fleet, extra fuel consumtion, whale like stretchers, or the extra man power to provide aid.....

Quote:
In a recent case in Sydney it took 16 people several hours to take an injured man from his home to hospital.

He weighed about 400kg (63 st) and had broken his leg.

Emergency workers had to demolish part of his house to lift him out.

it took 16 people several hours to help a man who had broke his leg and they had to demolish part of his home. Can you imagine how you would feel, as a family member, if someone you loved died because this man mountain had taken up all available units?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly my point. Maybe I mis-worded the whole thread, but I am talking stupidly morbidly obese people here, not people with a bit of extra baggage.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Annabella

PostPosted: 16:23 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't just Australia that is having to 'super-size' it's medical equipment.

Where I work spent £8000 on a treatment chair for larger people two months ago. Smile The thing is HUGE! Laughing

Edit: Just looked for a link to the article and it appears to have dropped off the archives. Sad

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:36 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see stories like that just leech away my sympathy Laughing

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see stories like that just leech away my sympathy Laughing On a side note, I doubt there are many obese africans who blame their obesity on psychological issues. My mum works with people with metal disabiliies and some of them would be borderline morbid. I can appreciate they don;t have the mental capacity to know eating to much is bad for them, but I imagine 99% of obese people are not suffering from mental issues that directly corelate to their weight, especially not children. I'll go down in flames for this, but I'd say its due to greed and having a nice label to attach to yourself helps eliviate the pain and brings comfort, because its not your own fault.

Another point, withrepsects to your point Annabella, regarding lifestyle is this, I agree that modern lifestyle/work doesn't help but you seem to cope fine with whats available and make it work for you. Thats what people need to learn. Be pro-active about their situation and work around the things that prevent them, much like you do. Otherwise, in my eyes, your just creating self induced victimisation again.

And another ting is when people say, I dont have the time...yet they'll sit glued to the box for 4-5 hours a night. Seems like plenty of time to me Wink

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in hospital in October before last, I was uncomfortable in almost every bed/trolley/rack I was put in.

At the time I was a fit 6'1 and 15.5 stone. The paramedics had concerns that the immobilising stretcher wasn't long enough, my shoulders and legs hung off the edges of the A&E trolley beds, the ward beds were only just long enough to lie in comfortably, etc.

To say that obesity is the only reason for issues with medical equipment is a little harsh.

Someone who is so large they have to have their walls demolished to leave the house should have had medical intervention a long time ago.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:50 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To say that obesity is the only reason for issues with medical equipment is a little harsh.

If the NHS is struggling to supply equitment for the average man then its outrageous that they should spend even more to cater for the obese and leave the rest of us to suffer.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 16:57 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, we've seen only proof that the Aussies are....

I'm all in favour of making fatties shape up, but I get genuinely narked when the same people bleating in other threads about government interference start talking about taxing/banning/regulating the lives of others.

If you like, I'm playing something of a Devil's Advocate role here - but I think that's perfectly valid.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case I wasn't making it obvious enough I'd only be for the tax thing in the event that a massive percentage of the people in hospitals were there as a result of being overweight. If 50% of people in hospitals today were there as a result of falling off their bikes I'd be quite happy to accept that bikers would deserve to be paying a bigger chunk of the NHS bill.

Not sure if you're referring to me as someone who 'bleats' about govmt interference but I am not one to suggest any and all input / action from the government is negative, I'm not an anarchist or anything. Razz I just think that if you have a situation where for instance 40% of people were responsible for 90% of the NHS' bills then it would be fair / ideal if they were paying a larger chunk than the remaining 60% who are responsible for just 10%.

Oversimplifying with made up numbers, sure, but that's the point I'm trying to make.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:
You see stories like that just leech away my sympathy Laughing On a side note, I doubt there are many obese africans who blame their obesity on psychological issues. My mum works with people with metal disabiliies and some of them would be borderline morbid. I can appreciate they don;t have the mental capacity to know eating to much is bad for them, but I imagine 99% of obese people are not suffering from mental issues that directly corelate to their weight, especially not children. I'll go down in flames for this, but I'd say its due to greed and having a nice label to attach to yourself helps eliviate the pain and brings comfort, because its not your own fault.

Another point, withrepsects to your point Annabella, regarding lifestyle is this, I agree that modern lifestyle/work doesn't help but you seem to cope fine with whats available and make it work for you. Thats what people need to learn. Be pro-active about their situation and work around the things that prevent them, much like you do. Otherwise, in my eyes, your just creating self induced victimisation again.

And another ting is when people say, I dont have the time...yet they'll sit glued to the box for 4-5 hours a night. Seems like plenty of time to me Wink

Ok so would you say on the other end of the scale that anorexics/bulimics are not suffering from "mental issues"?

At the end of the day at both ends of the scale we have people who have one form of an eating disorder or another. A lot of obese people actually develop an addiction to food as a way of getting through tough spots in life, like alcoholism in a way I suppose.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 17:41 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm all in favour of making fatties shape up, but I get genuinely narked when the same people bleating in other threads about government interference start talking about taxing/banning/regulating the lives of others.

I was wondering when someone would catch onto that. I'm not realistically advocating the tax of fatties but their increasing presence is forcing the governmnet to react so taxing/regulating/interfereing with their lifes is going to happen regardless.

If a NHS trust had to purchase super sized ambulances, if an ambulance crew needed 16 guys to move a fatty, if it takes several hours to move you then I think its safe to say that some kind of regulation/governance is going to occur because your no longer capable of leading a normal life or able to sustain yourself without the help of others.

I'm all for deregulation, less government interference and less PC bullshit however if you've eaten to the point of being morbidly obese and you need to get a specially made ambulance and a demolision crew out to move you then I find myself thinking its unfair that we should foot the bill. Smokers already pay through the nose for an unhealthy habit with little or no complaint from none smokers. Becoming morbidly obese is self inflicted. I'm all for self responsibility but that being the case there would be little to no help available to them at all.

All I am saying is being obese is self induced and its reasonable to question A:avenues of how to pay for it and B: the reasons for it happening.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 17:58 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok so would you say on the other end of the scale that anorexics/bulimics are not suffering from "mental issues"?

What I said was 99% of people who are obese are not obese because of mental issues, not that obeseness cannot be caused through mental issues. I don't believe that the projected figures (what are they, thirty percent of the populatin will be obese by 2010) means thrity percent of the population are mentally incapacitated in some form or another.

Eating because your unhappy is not a mental illness, its a person finding plesure in food to temporarily eliviate the unhappiness. Being unhappy is part of life and not a mental ailament.

Just my tuppence

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: Obesity. Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:

Without wanting to start another racial thread, aren't obese people more of a strain on society than immigrants?

Nope. According to the various "experts" I am morbidly obese. I haven't been to the doctor or in a hospital for anything related to my own health since being involved in a not-my-fault car accident in 2003. Last time before that was for an ear infection in 2001 I think. I'm not particularly fit but I'm perfectly healthy thankyouverymuch. I probably already pay more in income tax and NIC a year than a lot of you on here earn. The bit of my income that is mine gets spent on food cos that's what I like so I am single-handedly contributing to the profits and long-term future of not only the major supermarkets but all the local specialist shops I frequent, and then there's takeaways, just think how many people depend on me for their jobs! I pay more for my clothes than you cos they need more material in them too.

It's all about attitude to life. A lazy sponging fucker is a lazy sponging fucker whether they weigh 30 stone or 3.

Annabella

PostPosted: 20:20 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
So far, we've seen only proof that the Aussies are....

AHEM!!

So explain the treatment chair that was built specifically to take 20stone + people?

It wasn't hand built for the slightly larger built than average, it was built for a clinically obese man.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:14 - 26 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

My post was meant to imply that there was no wide-spread issues with 99 stone porkers, but looking back at it now, it didn't make that clear - my apologies Little Miss!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3