Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Call for motorbike speed limiters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mal
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:46 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Call for motorbike speed limiters Reply with quote

Reported on the BBC website here, MP's are to urge the government into doing a study on the possibility of fitting motorbikes with speed limiters due to accident rates and pollution.

Discuss...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:57 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They bring this up every so often, trial a few bikes with speed limiters then drop it because they are bloody dangerous.

They also need to look into why these fatal accidents happen, which they probably haven't done yet, then find they almost always involve a collision with a car at a junction.

They also realise that if they fit speed limiters, people will just bypass/remove them. The NC30 is a classic example of a bike with a speed limiter, I bet there isn't one in the country that hasn't had it tampered with.

I suspect the BBC has creatively misquoted the report to make a story but it isn't up on their website yet so I can't check.

No doubt MCN will be reporting that all motorbikes are to be banned in their next issue.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that BBC article really doesn't say much does it? But that's the BBC for you... Anyway, two points in the article stuck out, mini-motos and growing off-road use. Well if these are contributing to the casualty figures then surely this is where attention needs to focus. On limiters per se, what are they going to do? Say limit all bikes >1000cc only in which case everyone will buy 900cc or the new 800cc that'll be out in the next few years following on from GP. Or do they restrict bhp, but as Stinkwheel said restrictors are easily bypassed...I think this is just another knee-jerk reaction to deflect attention from the increase in expenses the MPs have receive recently. Penny Coin Penny Coin

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 09:43 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They bring this up every so often, trial a few bikes with speed limiters then drop it because they are bloody dangerous....

Has been covered in BCF before - click on this thread for info. The impression is that speed limited bikes are supported by the BMF, and they're an organisation supposed to represent bikers. So from a political viewpoint it could be an almost a done deal (given that BMF appear to want to be hand in glove with the politicians).

However, the BBC report that I heard on Breakfast TV this morning didn't say what type of speed limiter. So if the GPS system is too expensive/technical I can see a blanket attempt at limiting bikes to say 70mph (much like some lorries are supposed to be limited to 56mph).

stinkwheel wrote:
...need to look into why these fatal accidents happen...then find they almost always involve a collision with a car at a junction...

One of the problems is that in places like North Yorkshire many bike accidents apparently involve no other vehicle. Now I'm not saying all do, or that a bike ending up in a ditch wasn't avoiding a car that didn't stop (2 fatal accidents last weekend did involve cars though, story here). However, the overall impression is bikes just not reading the road/conditions safely.

stinkwheel wrote:
...I suspect the BBC has creatively misquoted the report to make a story but it isn't up on their website yet so I can't check....

Found a report on the BBC site - click here.
Had a look on the Parliament site - HTML report is this link, the PDF version is here (link from here).

From the recommendations section...
Government Report wrote:
5. Motorcycle accident rates are far too high. They have been for ten years. It is time to consider radical action to tackle this problem. A case was made to the Committee for limiting the speed of the more powerful motorcycles, though some technical issues still need to be resolved. The Government's work on Intelligent Speed Adaptation is encouraging. We recommend that the Government commission a companion piece of research on the viability of introducing speed limiters on motorcycles in order to stimulate a sensible debate of the options. (Paragraph 25)

However a good recommendation is the use of bus lanes...
Government Report wrote:
10. The balance of evidence suggests that the Government is right to revise its guidance to local authorities on the use of bus lanes. We see no reason why a more permissive attitude should not be taken by local authorities when deciding whether to allow motorcycles to use bus lanes. The Government was, however, late in delivering this revised guidance. (Paragraph 41)

stinkwheel wrote:
...No doubt MCN will be reporting that all motorbikes are to be banned in their next issue.

You think Wink Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:34 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this would just lead to two things...

1. Everyone tampering with their bikes to remove the limiters.

2. Uninsured incidents will increase, as i am sure the Insurance industry will see removal of the limiter as just another reason not to pay out.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

another article

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/29032007/325/motorcycle-top-speeds-capped.html

from the sublime....

Quote:
"I have a lot of sympathy with having a top limit on the speed and power of motorcycles and cars," said Kevin Clinton, RoSPA's head of road safety.

"Although when the EC ... proposed a 100 brake-horsepower limit on motorcycles, they were not able to get it through because they could not show any real reduction in risk from that."

to the rediculous.....

Quote:
Giving evidence to the committee, transport author Stephen Plowden said he could not see why anyone needed a bike with a top speed of more than 65 mph

how ignorant is that man Exclamation

SonicTheHedge...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:56 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has finally been the thing that makes me want to spam my MP with hardcopy - I've been looking for some stats to back me up and make a coherent document, and, oddly enough, it appears the government already has some...

https://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/research/rsrr/theme5/indepthstudyofmotorcycleacci4784
(PDF file)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavin wrote:
Quote:
Giving evidence to the committee, transport author Stephen Plowden said he could not see why anyone needed a bike with a top speed of more than 65 mph

how ignorant is that man Exclamation

Very, but he somehow gets his views taken seriously.

All the best

Keith

Giffer2
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:56 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Giving evidence to the committee, transport author Stephen Plowden said he could not see why anyone needed a bike with a top speed of more than 65 mph.

Is this guy for real?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that very same tit end has also beeen quoted as saying why does anyone need to ride a bike bigger than the learner machines. i.e. 125's!!!

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Yes, that very same tit end has also beeen quoted as saying why does anyone need to ride a bike bigger than the learner machines. i.e. 125's!!!

One has to wonder what size car he drives around in, as you could quite happily say no car driver needs anything bigger than a fiat 500.....

Something that many people miss is speed limiters are already with us on lorries and coaches. Are they any less safe because of them. Neutral
You have to drive to you vehicles limits, if that means you cannot exced the nsl then you ride/drive to that limit.

Saying that you need to exced the limit at times to avoid things, shows that you have not read the situation in the 1st place as you should have been better placed to avoid it other ways.

A limiter could simply work by limiting top speed, not how you get to that speed.

Not pro limiters at all, but some of the anti arguments are a bit flawed, and we will see limiters on ALL vehcials sometime in the future.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side issue has anyone any costings for the GPS technology?
Will it be retro fitted?

If not retro fited then old bikes are going to keep their value Wink

I was also doing a little thinking on the costs as I was riding into work.
Now my bike has carbs. So it's quite difficult with that sort of throttle control to fit a limiter. I can get a cruise control (as an example of a speed limiter) but it costs around £400 to £500 (plus fitting). Now add onto that the cost of a semi decent GPS system that'll have update facilities for speed zones and memory for the whole of the UK. Ballpark estimate on that say £200 to £300?

Now I know it's easier to limit bikes with injection systems. All new bikes have this to meet EC emission control. So it would be cheaper to add to these machines. Still not cheap though.

Plus it's the buyer who'll end up paying the bill.

One last thought. How will this effect imported bikes? Ok, the government could make any law saying it must be fitted on any bike sold in the UK. That may cover grey imports. However, that may leave private imports. I know in the 70s and 80s this was useful for cars as could be got a lot cheaper from Holland, Belgium, etc.

Which then begs the question, will this technology by EC wide?
If not then why are UK citizens possibly going to be penalised when others are not. After all aren't we supposed to be one big Europe with equal rights for all?

Ok, going now. Sorry if the post is a bit rambling and asks more questions than gives answers. Just wanted to get some thoughts down.

Thumbs Up

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I love the FIAT 500 and have owned one, and a 126 and a Cinq good commutes, but you have to drive 'em

Anyway I digress; I object to speed limiters because unless they're going to rectify all the speed calming measures they've implemented in the last 20 years we're going to be a nation going nowhere fast.

Take the main road past my village (well not my village but you get my meaning), this is a 'B' road and it was a nice NSL road with twisties and some safe overtaking places and some short overtaking places, but you had to know a) your car/bike and b) what you were doing. Now the road is a constricted mess of road signs, 30/40/50 limits, double white lines except in two places, and a speed camera. If you get caught behind "farmer John" or "auntie Mabel" doing 43.5mph (in every zone I might add) you're stuffed.

You can just get past on the two short overtaking stretches left but you are going to have to hit 60 mph to do it, only now you can't because it's not NSL any more. So whereas once upon a time it would have been a perfectly safe and acceptable manoeuvre, now it's a hazardous and illegal one. Add a speed limiter to the mix and we're all going to be following the crawlers at 43.5mph

Now I'm not what you'd call a fast driver/rider, my wife drives faster than me but won't ride a bike, and neither am I a safety Nazi, I like to think I fall somewhere in the middle. I sometimes wear a fluorescent jacket, and I always ride in all the gear top-toe. But I like many other people enjoy having a machine (car/bike) capable of speeds in excess of the NSL, it gives you and the engine a margin to work with.

And finally sometimes it's nice to have a squirt on the throttle and have a giggle, I suspect Stephen Plowden has never had a giggle in his life. He's been banging on about environmental measures and traffic calming for over ten years now he appears to hate every form of transport that is not his personal choice, why can't he respect others? I respect his... Penny Coin Penny Coin

PS> I don't object to environmental concerns or traffic calming per se either

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't fit limiters, it's an invasion of privacy/ free will. Be have the right to speed, but the responsibilty to take the concequences when/if you get caught.

Coaches and Lorries are the businessmen of the road so restrciting them is techinically imporving safety, if a coach crashes 50 odd people are affected and if a lorry crashes it collects a greater number of other road users and we don't get our groceries on time.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:10 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Stephen Plowden is one of those who would happily see us on, at best, buses.

Such speed limiters are closer than most people think, and are likely to be compulsory and fitted to all vehicles (but probably phased in over 5~10 years). If so likely that having a bike that cannot have one fitted will just mean you don't have a bike that can be used on the road.

The GPS based limiters are pretty far advanced for cars. The initial trials were done about 5 years ago.

Don't think it will make things safer. Didn't for lorries, and there are claims it made lorries more dangerous.

All the best

Keith

keyser soze
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:13 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a random thought... merc's and some other cars have a limiter. some are set at 84 (smarts) (my work van has one set at 105) and all the way up to 150. its down to the ecu so you can get it remapped and taken off. so if they do it on the bikes its most likely be this way as its cheaper the tec is already there. also they'll probably do this to the silly fast bikes to get them down a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gilbert7
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 08 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hayabusa is restricted to 186

i think limiters are dangerous because sometimes you need to be able to break the limit like when overtaking. i know you shouldn't have to break the speed limit but i think it is safer to break the speed limit for a second or two and get back into your lane and out of the way of any on coming traffic. also it may have been safe to overtake when you puled out and you may have looked at the manover from every possible angle but still something can and will happen like a car breaks and you lose the gap in the traffic you were going to use so you have to speed to get a gap further up the traffic.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 08 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would you like to be going down a duel carriageway and whilst overtaking a chap in a car, your bike tops out due to the restrictor and you can't complete the manouvre? Imo even the safety nazi's don't trundle along at the speed limit, so we'd be stuffed. if it did come in, does that mean police bikes would be restricted too? thought not Rolling Eyes so even re-mapping wouldn't help cos the G'ment would make it an offense and the cops would know you were going over your 'restricted speed'..

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:06 - 20 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wankers who think of these ideas, are just hypocrites. They just don't like it when they get cut up on the M,way by an R1 or a gixxer 1000. As mentioned before, would they really, seriously consider driving a car with a 500 cc engine? I think not. They just want the poor people off the road. That is why we pay so much tax on fuel etc.
We have a right to our machines, regardless of size and power. But we also have a responsibility to use them sensibly. I can't see a problem doing a 120, 140 down the M,way, if the road ahead is clear, and free from debris etc. But to speed in heavy traffic is just asking for trouble. Some "responsible" car drivers may even take down your reg No. and report you. Simply because they are stressed out, stuck in the traffic jam, and let their jealousy get the better of them.
So the bottom line is, be sensible, and we might see a drop in motorcyle related accidents, and the govt. scrap this shitty idea.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:10 - 22 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

demoNSR wrote:
The wankers who think of these ideas, are just hypocrites. They just don't like it when they get cut up on the M,way by an R1 or a gixxer 1000.

Not really. Speed limiters for cars are far closer to becoming a compulsory reality than they are for bike. Although current thinking is that they only need around half the cars to be limited to clog up the roads enough to restrict everyone.

All the best

Keith

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 22 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL MOTORCYCLES ARE FITTED WITH SPEED LIMITERS!

They are known as 'Throttle Stops'.

Mine's cuts in/limits my speed at about 155mph.. Embarassed

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can find one moped over 3 years old that isn't derestricted...well........
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1