Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

homemade bike stand

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: homemade bike stand Reply with quote

just thought i'd show you all my AS level design tech project. as you can see its a motorbike lifter but the idea is to overcome design faults with present designs so i tried to cram everyhting i could onto it lol.
the power comes from a hydraulic jack that i bought.

for starters it only cost £14 in materials and £6 for the jack so its pretty dam cheap.

also got a seat if your working on the engine for long periods of time to save you from crouching down. also a little tool tray.

and lifts from 20 cm to over a metre which is a much bigger lifting range than existing stands.

lastly got some little rollers on it to act as wheels so its easy to move around.

and in theory should lift upto 600kg not that it needs to, most ive put on it is me and my bike so about 180 kg which it lifts comfotably

obviously aint finished yet i need to neaten up some of the eadges and corners with the angle grinder then im painting and laquering it and covering the seat with a bit of padding and some material.

thanks for looking and i am open to comments, improvements, and of course point out all the problems with it lol

thanks

https://img408.imageshack.us/img408/795/picture0031vz1.th.jpg
https://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5279/picture0029nc4.th.jpg
https://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2780/picture0030mv2.th.jpg

i'll get better and more detailed pics when finished which should be around monday
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grandmaster
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: homemade bike stand Reply with quote

derbi x-treme wrote:
<snip>

thanks for looking and i am open to comments, improvements, and of course point out all the problems with it lol
</snip>

Looks cool,

I wonder how you would lift a faired bike?

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate i thought everyone was gonna say it looked crap lol Embarassed

well i did think about faired bikes i havnt got one myself so am not sure but i think its goes low enough to fit under one but obviously the lower fairings would need to be removed. but its mostly for scramblers and supermotos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great, if I had a crosser I would want something like that, how easy is it to lift the bike?

I guess i could use it with my bike, if I removed the lower fairings and my exhaust Razz

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks its really easy to lift the bike you could literally do it with one finger because the hydraulic jack offers a really big mechanical advantage. and i gotta agree with you i think it would be a bit fiddly to try and lift a sports bike on it

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a brilliant idea, is there anything like that already on the market?

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well done on that, really good idea with the jack

Thumbs Up

My suggestions:

Paint or spray the frame to tart it up abit.
Make the seat more inviting, looks slightly painful, maybe a cushion or foam padding.
Also to have like a tray to put your tools on. So when your sat on it you can grab the screwdriver / spanner

Cluck cluck chicken

Last edited by CoronaBoner on 19:59 - 30 Mar 2007; edited 1 time in total

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. to answer the questions:

theres similar ones on the market however i havnt seen any with as good a range of heights or any with a seat and all the ones with adjustable heights retail for around £80+

im gonna put foam padding onto the seat and then staple like leather/ imitation leather over it

im also gonna prime paint and laquer it
(not sure what colour open to suggestions) and have plastic plugs to plug in the ends of all the tubing

already got a aluminium tool tray with room for quite a few nuts and bolts and holes for screwdriver/allen keys its bolted to the front of the seat (not sure if its visible in the pictures)

thanks more pics to come tomorow when it will hopefully be painted

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, wish I could make things like that, Homer Simpsons spice rack is about as much as I can achieve. Laughing

Red / Yellow / Black for the frame maybe.

As you seem to have already covered my points, how about a light of some kind, maybe one of those flexi long ones (batt powered) that can stretch up and give you a clear look at the engine?

Cluck cluck chicken

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!! I'm all for the DIY approach, and I'm impressed with your efforts Thumbs Up

Unfortunately the extent of my own skills only went as far as making custom shelving and tool racks etc. Rolling Eyes

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the replies the lights a great idea actually and im definately gonna look into it

keep the ideas and comments coming

thanks

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if it might be an idea to put wheels on the base of it? So you could turn the bike round inside the garage, or wherever it is?

Obviously you'd need some kind of locking mechanism to stop the thing moving when your working on the bike.

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the idea that would be great if i could do it but not sure i have the facilities to do so because im on my easter holiday at the moment so can only do simple stuff as i dont have access to a proper workshop

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

its over complicated, i use one of these. u simply slide it under the bike and push your foot down, had it for years and its as good as new and no parts that could fail like your jack that if lost presure would cause the bike to crash and fall on the ground
good work tho Thumbs Up

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jack-Up-Motocross-Enduro-Trials-Stand-BNIB_W0QQitemZ220085660837QQcategoryZ25632QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie

That one you linked is basically £30 inc delivery, it don't come with a seat nor does it come with a tool tray, also the one derbi has designed and made has only cost him around 20 quid!

Cluck cluck chicken

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

no yours just hasnt got any features lol. i mean your stand will only lift to a small height. also it will be very uncomforatable to work on for long periods. hasnt got anywhere to put ur tools. and it also costs £10 more than mine did to make. how can something be over complicated if every feature performs a useful function. also i doubt a two tonne jack is going to brake lifting a 100kg bike, and thr jack came with a gurantee as its designed to lift cars. even if it did if you actually looked at the design you'd see theres a lever that pushes against stops which means all the weight can be taken off the jack once the bike is elevated so if anything its safer than your stand

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 30 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had plans for making one of these for over a year now, good to see someone has done it Very Happy

Any pointers or things to look out for when I actually get round to it?

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 31 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

not especially unless youre also going to use a hydraulic jack because the mounting process is quite complicated. if u want to know about it though just say Wink

actually also you need to thin k about where the weight will be taken within the structure and try and spread this weight over as large an area as possible

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 31 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wicked. If you're doing biz studies too you should make a project of turning that into a saleable product cause it looks like a great bit of kit. Thumbs Up

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 31 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate but nah i aint doin business studies unfortunately.

little bit of an update bought some primer paint nd laquer today colours are a bit boring but i think it 'll look alright.

black for the structure and then im going to paint the jack in bright red to make it stand out and for safety reasons i may also highlight a couple of other bits red.

at the moment just prepping it for paint so grinding off all the sharp edges and that . hopefully painted by tomorow or monday i just hope i've got enough paint:

500 ml of primer
500 ml of paint
500 ml of laquer

you guys reckon that should cover it (its spray paint by the way)?

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 31 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

we started to make somthing similar, but a full lift, but had some probs with the jack and it never got done.

looks good, untill ur sat there working on it and it all comes crashing down on the boys Very Happy

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:41 - 01 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing's impressive.

Make it a bit prettier, powder coat it, add a proper seat, and a magnetic bolt/nut tray and you could have a nice little business selling those.

I rekon every motoX workshop would buy one at £50 a piece.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:56 - 01 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts - are you using a 'manual' jack? A hydraulic one would seem to make more sense, however I suspect either is going to be slow in comparison to the ones that just have a simple lever, which is fine for a mx bike generally and only takes a second to lift.

It is very wide - no chance of fitting it in my garage really - could it at least fold down for storage?

I wouldn't want to use that kind of stand for a non-off road bike.

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 01 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a hydraulic jack and only takes about 10 seconds to lift the bike it is quite big but not huge and size wasnt really one of the criteria in my design because this would still fit in any normal sized garage and is designed to be easy and comfortable to work on the bike. the dimensions are 90cm x 35cm. i was going to have it powdercoated however i wanted to get it finished and the powder coaters didnt have a vacancy for a couple of weeks.

ive dissasembled it and have primered it but now have to wait 24 hours to let it harden before rubbing it down for the main coat

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:07 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should seriously go about patenting that.
could you make me one for £40?
it needs to be able to lift a CB250
PM me if your interested
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3