Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR 125 Won't start???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:49 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: NSR 125 Won't start??? Reply with quote

Hi guys Smile , just a new member, joined a few days ago.
Went out for a ride tonight, started the bike as normal, with choke out for a minute or two. Then when i put the choke back in the bike cut out. Checked the petrol and found it was nearly dry, but still had about a cup full in the tank. So, off i went to the garage, petrol can in hand. Got back, put petrol in tank, and now bike wont start at all.
Was too dark to start checking fuel line for blockage, spark plug etc.
I dont think it could be a blockage in the line, because the inside of the tank is still really clean, like new (03 model)
So now i am wondering if it could be the spark plug, or maybe the carb is flooded.
Any ideas???
Will try starting it again in the morning, have turned the fuel tap off, so if it is the carb, hopefully it will have a chance to dry out.
Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CRAZY_BIKER

PostPosted: 00:51 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the plug out and give it a clean with a wire brush, put the spark plug back, then try again and let us know if that makes a difference. Because it could be that you have oiled the plug up.
You must be logged in to rate posts

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:23 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along those lines, and was going to buy a new plug. But now i will have to go to the bike spares shop on the bus (groan Sad ) if it doesn't work. Will give it a go though.
Cheers Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:33 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cleaning it first before you go and buy a new one! Should be obvious whether or not its damaged or just filthy.

You sure its not flooded? Battery has life still right Razz ?

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:41 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh the battery is full of power, turns the starter no problem. But the engine seems dead. I thought it could either be the carb, or the plug. Will check the plug tomorrow if it wont start. by that time, any fuel in the carb should have evaporated eh.

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:45 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

demoNSR wrote:
Yeh the battery is full of power, turns the starter no problem. But the engine seems dead. I thought it could either be the carb, or the plug. Will check the plug tomorrow if it wont start. by that time, any fuel in the carb should have evaporated eh.

Yeh, give that plug a damned good cleaning and see how it goes Thumbs Up If no luck, then you might have to replace that plug. I'm sure it'll be ok though, I had a few flooding problems with my NSR when I first got it due to leaving the choke on too long. Seems that giving it too much throttle with the choke out isnt a good idea, and its rather prone to flooding Wink

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:50 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are prob right fella. Will deff give that a go. Thing is, i have booked it in for new tyres tomorro too, and it is always the way when you need to do something, always something to bugger your plans eh.
Cheers mate Karma

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:54 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Sods law in action.

Best of luck with her, I'm sure she'll be ok, even if you gotta do a bit of fiddling first Wink

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:13 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fella, i'll let you know how i get on Smile

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a new plug . try to start 3 or 4 times (if it doesnot) . take plug off and look at it . if plug is dry that's a fuel line problem , if it's humid it's a sparking problem . you may also take off the plug , put it on the HT cap and let it laying on the head . 2 or 3 long pushes on the start while looking at the plug if you see sparks coming . if no sparks that's an ignition problem

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:40 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Alains, i took the plug out this morning, and it badly needed cleaning, and gap reset. This seems to have sorted the problem. Cheers also to spike_Alike for your helpful advice. Replaced the plug after cleaning, and setting the gap, and she burst into life Very Happy

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:43 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers also to Crazy biker Wink Karma

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

throw away your genuine BR9ECS and buy a BR9EIX (£8ish) or a DENSO IW27 (£10ish) even if it's a lot more expensive it's worth to have those , trust me

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:42 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the BR9ECS is the standard plug, and the manual says you can also use a BR10ECS aswell, and i was thinking of that one too maybe. Will it make much of a difference, and if so, what difference can i expect?
Cheers Karma

Last edited by demoNSR on 02:10 - 14 Apr 2007; edited 1 time in total

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:31 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaner running... less carbon deposits left on cylinder and piston = increased performance longevity and a bit more response from the engine (widely debated)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:06 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate, got a new plug, but the dealer only had the standard NGK BR9ECS. But it was only £2, bargain. And she is running sweet now. Will maybe still try the optional plug to see if there is a difference. Karma

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 13 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk buy a couple (one on , one spare under your seat)

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:37 - 13 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alain. I have ordered a box of 4, from the guy who fitted my tyres yesterday, only £10, which is a bargain i think.
Thanks fella Smile

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Your De-Restriction guide is also most useful Very Happy Karma

CRAZY_BIKER

PostPosted: 01:59 - 14 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shop sells spark plugs for £2 mate ?

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:05 - 14 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate. The guy who fitted my tyres sold me a NGK BR9 ES for £2. He is a mechanic with his own work shop, and he sells helmets, leathers etc. The name is "Bills Bikes" of Jarrow, South Tyneside. Not sure if you are nearby fella, but he is one of the fairest mechanics i know. He only charged me a tenner for fitting and balancing both new tyres. His number is 0191 496 3830.

CRAZY_BIKER

PostPosted: 02:12 - 14 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that mate but thats about 200 miles away from me, thanks any way. I might ring him and see if he would sell them in bulk and post them out to me (would still work out cheaper)(looking at buying 10 of them)

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 14 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are a bit hard ! i told you to throw the genuine BR9ECS which are bull shit ! and you bought 4 of non suitable (for this bike) plugs
the BR9ECS can be swapped with a BR8ES (not BR10ES) , but they about the same . trust me buy BR9EIX or denso IW27 . they worth even they cost 4 times the genuine . optimised sparking , much longer life time , you'll spare about 1/2 L to 3/4 L by full tank , engine run far more smoothly , try it once , you wont be disappointed Thumbs Up

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:24 - 14 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alain. i was told that the BR10 EIX would be better for the summer, especially if i ride fast. As they can handle higher heat. But i will buy the BR9EIX too, and see which one works best, that was my plan. At the moment, i have a new BR9 (ES) installed, as that is all that was available at the dealers. But he is ordering the BR9 EIX, and BR10 EIX just for me Smile

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 14 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk shipped within 3 days
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2