BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nodding pecking order?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ryan
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:36 - 22 Jul 2002    Post subject: ma nod Reply with quote

I nod down towards the left, the amount of enthusiasm i do it with depends on how i'm feeling, meaning sometimes i can look a bit stupid if im really happy (which is most of the tim when im on my bike when the sun is shining). I'v noticed a lot of bikers prefer to give a kick insted of a nod which is considered more 'continental european' which i have started to do sometimes, if im really going for it on some twisties i usually just flash my lights cause i have to really concerntrate.

I also giv a wave to cars when i pass if they've moved over. Speaking of which when i over took a huge lorry the other day on the inside of a long sweeping righthand bend (where u can see for miles) he gave me a big toot toot from his lorry horn, how cool is that Cool !!!

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 11:43 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ NSR wrote:
i always nod, and try to leather up most or all journeys except if im goin down the road...

major grooves where u located in North London??

I am currently living in Mill Hill which is also where I work, but this weekend I am moving to my swanky new pad in Wembley! Now I get to ride to work everyday Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

fukin hell tats close to me, u live about 2 minutes away!!!! No jokez

wat u riding??

tj

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 19:50 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a Cagiva Planet. In case you've seen me about it is yellow, and most of my gear is yellow and black.

I live and work at the Medical Research Institute on the Ridgeway if you know it. Where do you live then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Planet owner- I've got a red one Cool

having some trouble at the moment though- splutters and cuts out after 15 minutes. Any ideas? thought I'd ask in case its a common problem.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 17:18 - 26 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate I know sweet FA about bikes.

What I do know is that mine has a bit of an oil leak. I've been told that it is either my lower gasket, or my exhaust "something". It is also quite smoky when I start it up cold. Would this maybe mean that the oil leak is in the exhaust rather than the gasket, so that when I start it the smoke is from burning oil in the exhaust??

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 26 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunalty planets are shite, ill explain when im less tired

tj

zaknafien

PostPosted: 01:02 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2 stroke get worried when it doesnt throw smoke out.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 14:27 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ NSR wrote:
unfortunalty planets are shite, ill explain when im less tired

tj

I look forward to it. Sad

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not taking the piss, but they go wrong alot....

were i work we get a lot in for servicing and repairs and had some for sale....

...ive noticed many of them have problems with the oil pumps which make em seize...

...another problem is the ignition system, the key either gets stuck in the lockset and cant be taken out, thus needing to replace the lock set, or the bike works with out the key, i noticed this when i took 1 out for a spin and removed the key and the Neutral and oil lights were still on...

...another problem is because there is no rev counter or rev limiter, new riders or inexpirienced dunno how to use the bike properly and tend to over rev it, leading to the engine going BANG!!!!... which is ashame

...the choke also tends to get stuck on those bikes, this is a major problem as some ppl dont relise they are riding with the choke out and this can ruin performance, engine and carb problems...

make sure u look after it and warm it up b4 riding also use fully synt 2t oil!!!

BTW the restrictions are in the exhaust and theres 1 in the Air Filter!!! (plastic bit that has to be cut out!

other wise it aint a bad bike, uprite position, comfortabke and some midrange torque which u dont usually get on 2 strokes, any1 need a MPH clock for it let me know (or any other parts), aslong as ur in London

laters TJ

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 22:46 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they are sexy!
How long is a reasonable warm up? When I start it up it is very smokey in first and second then after I've been in second or third for a few minutes the smoke has cleared. If I keep it in neutral and just rev it when I have just started it then there is alot of smoke. Does this relate to the oil leak I mentioned?

So TJ if you live near me which of the garages do you work at? How much for the mpg speedo? I have a nice sticker on mine just now, but the speed you think you are doing depends on which angle you look at the speedo from ! Cool Also my fuel light is stuck on!

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 22:48 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you first start up the bike let it tick over for a while (few mins), then when you set off take it easy for a little bit (couple of miles) to get the engine up to temperature properly.

Doesn't sound anything to refer to an oil leak... where exactly is it pissing oil out...??? Confused

curryhead
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:37 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate has an rs which is a similar sort of engine i suppose but it has a digital thermometer and he has to warm it up to around 70 degress which takes him about 5-10 minutes so thats a rough guide. its pretty important to warm it up properly because if you ride it straight from cold it will seize

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:38 - 28 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would not worry about warming up the engine before riding off. Certainly not waiting for it to get up to 70 degrees first. Just ride it, but until up to temp keep down to 5000rpm (bascially treat it as though you are running in). The engine certainly wont seize if you ride it like this

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 14:57 - 28 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i leave my Rs125 to warm up to 50 degrees before riding then take it round the block... I dont thrash it till its in the 60's

Its running temp is always around 70 degrees

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 28 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wanta knack my bike, so can someone please post what speed the red line appears at in each gear? I know its a hassle but it would be appreciated.

I have to admit as well that so far mine has been a bitch. I'm gonna take it into a garage and get them to sort the problem I mentioned above. I'm then probably gonna swap it in- maybe for a 400 or at least a more reliable 2 stroke like an NSR or even an RS (they're not really that bad are they?)

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 28 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major - i work in bikeadelic in Camden!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2