Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Lie of the Land

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 04 May 2007    Post subject: The Lie of the Land Reply with quote

CH 4 - 9pm last night?

Who watched it and what were your thoughts?

I only saw the last 30 mins and have to agree with everything the farmer said. Especially the bit about shooting foxes!

It's so sad that farming is fading out.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 04 May 2007    Post subject: Re: The Lie of the Land Reply with quote

Monkeypie wrote:
CH 4 - 9pm last night?

Who watched it and what were your thoughts?

I only saw the last 30 mins and have to agree with everything the farmer said. Especially the bit about shooting foxes!

It's so sad that farming is fading out.

Didn't see it, but if you think that farming is 'fading out' then I would invite you to come over to Lincolnshire and have a look for yourself. Shocked

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 04 May 2007    Post subject: Re: The Lie of the Land Reply with quote

pwntifex wrote:
Didn't see it, but if you think that farming is 'fading out' then I would invite you to come over to Lincolnshire and have a look for yourself. Shocked

Cool, was it you that posted the pics of the gorgeous calfves?

Gpz 900R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 05 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only caught bits of it sadly, what the farmers were saying was that cattle farming is disappearing at a rapid rate in the uk, again it's city folk meddling in the countryside and way of life,the two lifestyles are totally different,after all you wouldn't ask a farmer to come and design a city centre shopping mall. What is also less publised is that when the hunting ban was introduced the government also introduced policies and schemes to try and get farmers just to manage the country side rather than farm it, were as one rightly pointed out, we have strict laws regarding animal welfare,the same can't be said for a lot of the countries where our imported meat comes from,talk about brushing the isssue under the carpet.Regarding the hunting ban which ever side your on the spanish are still allowed to do bullfighting as it's classed as cultural heritage, where's the EU equality there ?

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 05 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, didn't watch the show.

although from what has already been said and knowing how poorly farmers are doing from prior economics lessons and news, it's been a really drawn out subject. when considering it's a lot of lineage's livelihoods at stake, you can argue from either side of the fence.

oh well;
farming in the traditional sence is going to die off. all we're doing is keeping hold of it for as long as possible. people want stuff as cheap and quickly as possible. traditional farming doesn't allow this.

not oh well;
adversely, british farming isn't just for the farmers way of life, it's good, high quality locally sourced produce, that also if of better quality than supermarket tat and it's part of british heritage.
how can you get rid of that just because it's not as cheap as supermarkets?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 10:13 - 05 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course farming is fading out. Unless humans stop breeding like wildfire, we are just going to be standing shoulder to shoulder and eating a paste. There will be no room for cows or fields, just algae farms.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 05 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

h00dwink wrote:

better quality than supermarket tat and it's part of british heritage.
how can you get rid of that just because it's not as cheap as supermarkets?

I'd much rather have a little of something special . . . .

All I can see is sheep and Lambs out of my bedroom window - love this time of the year.

As for fox hunting - huge mistake banning it!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:23 - 05 May 2007    Post subject: Re: The Lie of the Land Reply with quote

Monkeypie wrote:
...agree with everything the farmer said. Especially the bit about shooting foxes!

Really? I thought part of his argument against shooting foxes was absolute bollocks. "What if it was a child or a pet that got shot by mistake". OK, a valid point - however one that I feel is of far more relevance when used as an argument against hunting with hounds. It would be pretty bad if a kid got shot, however it would be fucking horrendous if one got pulled apart by a pack of hounds...

(I'm not arguing the rights/wrongs of fox hunting here, merely pointing out the flaw in this guys argument)

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:39 - 06 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a designated bit of land for a fox hunt, what the funk would a kid be doing fannying about?

i'm totally against foxhunting, but i don't like those sort of arguments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 06 May 2007    Post subject: Re: The Lie of the Land Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
... however it would be fucking horrendous if one got pulled apart by a pack of hounds...

Silly argunment about the kids. . .

1) Kids are never about at the scene (The 'field' rarely get to see the fox being killed).
2) Hounds don't go for kids !!!!!!

Unless the huntsmen are qualified snipers they are regularly going to miss. Therefore, shooting a fox is frequently going to be a slower death for the fox. Hounds just make it 'look' worse.

It is a lack of understanding on the majority vote - simple as. Just wish people could admit to not understanding.

Democracy does not always work. It seems keeping the people happy was the greatest priority in this decision.

Last edited by J0Al1 on 20:26 - 06 May 2007; edited 1 time in total

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 06 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonkeyPie - Do you live on a farm, know farmers etc?

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 08 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan 4RR wrote:

Why?
Nope and yes

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 08 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity, thats all. Smile

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 16 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't have a problem with fox hunting and most other types of hunting too. I sometimes go out shooting myself, mainly birds and rabbits (with an air rifle) and eat them too. I hate it when people say its wrong then go and buy their Chinese take away which I'm pretty sure is meat from another country with low regulations where the animal has been raised in a far worse way than the rabbit I just shot.

(going off topic a bit but don't get me started on veggies with leather shoes.... grrr)

Joe Karma

P.s. I think it's a terrible shame that farming is dying out and I do think that things could be done to help it but like people have mention ed people want their food cheap and fast. I myself don't like the idea of becoming dependant on another country on something as important as food...

kiers
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:53 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the hounds used in fox hunting just followed the scent of the fox and didnt actually attack it. in which case it causes no risk to children

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiers wrote:
I thought the hounds used in fox hunting just followed the scent of the fox and didnt actually attack it. in which case it causes no risk to children

Hounds won't go for children. What children anyway? Hounds follow the cent and if in open air will catch n kill it. More often then not the fox 'goes to ground' (hides in a fox hole in a wood) and terriers are brought into drag it out. Hence the Land Rover that follows with the local terrier man and his dogs.

Seen it 100 times.

I hunted since I was six (until 23) and the ony threat I ever got was age 10 by an anti telling my that she knew my Mother and my Mother was an evil Murderer or sommit horrible like that. They will surround you. Its horrible. Fortunaltly I was told to ignore and walk away.

Police are there frequently to keep peace - I mean what a wast of their resource?

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 21 May 2007    Post subject: Re: The Lie of the Land Reply with quote

Monkeypie wrote:
pwntifex wrote:

Cool, was it you that posted the pics of the gorgeous calfves?

think that was me, those carved have been sent to market. along with all our sheep. We're giving up famring we're making a 30k loss each year, every thing we try and diversify into the council decline, new crops kids burn.. we give up. We're moving to lincolnshire.

The programme was a clear cut portait with no bull shit. Though the famrers they picked couldnt of been any more sterotypically inbred/yocal types lol

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 21 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan 4RR wrote:

I do, I kjnow it can take 9 shots, al lthat hit to bring a foz down with a shotgun with a heavy steel load in i. The fox is running, you want it dead beofre it kill another 5 lambs the next dusk.. whether it bleeds to death under a hedge or you take it back in the truck it's the same result.

Pack of hounds rip it to shreds in seconds, I'm not saying it's painless but fairer in my view. It's nature and it's how the foxes kill our lambs.

We now snare our foxes as it's more humane.. however we occaisonally catch a cat.. no children yet, will keep you posted

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 23 May 2007    Post subject: Re: The Lie of the Land Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
We're giving up famring we're making a 30k loss each year.. we give up. We're moving to lincolnshire.

Shame Sad

Sorry to hear your news. Hope the move to Lincs is a good one for you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1