Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Being clever? Or being a cock!?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:45 - 16 May 2007    Post subject: Being clever? Or being a cock!? Reply with quote

What do you think of this then?

https://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6650000/newsid_6659900/6659991.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6655021.stm

Note: I posted a slightly different edit in the Wales forum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm not sure. They maybe could have played the game and been a bit more contrite.
Why were they given a curfew? That I do find bizarre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cock.

Was thinking that these guys watched too much Ghost Rider as it was before he had the smug grin talking about the Police Helicopter.

Theres a point at which spirited riding becomes riding like a cock and you should be on a track. As far as I'm concerned that was it.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:03 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that he's not helping biking. There may very well be people who do worse than they did, but I don't know anyone who overtakes on the hard shoulder or undertakes the outside lane at that speed.

Sure, I know people who go 110mph where it is safe to do so, but that isn't worse than what they did.

I think people will just think they are dicks, and assume that all bikers are.

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:10 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dint see nothing rong in that vid, undertaking isnt dangerous if done right, they dint lok to be going amazingly fast, police are pciky cunts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:13 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiots like that will get their "comeuppance".

They'll probably end up dead very soon, either by ploughing into the back of a truck at high speed, or going too fast round a corener, losing it and flying off the edge of a cliff. Just hope they don't take anyone with them.

Ciar?n
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undertaking on the hard shoulder.
Deserve to be banned to be honest.

The rest of it didn't seem too bad.

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:11 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an answer:

Where possible, i.e. motorways, dual carriageways, etc. should have a dedicated motorcycle lane. That way, bikes can travel at a maximum speed of, say 90-100mph?

As they're not weaving in and out of traffic (like a chav running through a shopping centre being chased by security after they've just nicked a pair of trainers for a sport shop with no regard for who they could crash into at any time after misjudjing a "turn of the heel") travelling at half the speed of other traffic, there's minimal chance of an accident unles they're inexperienced and can't handle it.

It'll be safer for bikers as they're less likely to knocked off by some trucker with inadequate mirrors, etc.

What do you think???

Ciar?n
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A4 already has a taxi and motorcycle only lane Smile

Great for general hooning Thumbs Up

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:18 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that just the A4 though? Should be a standard law/regulation across the whole of the country, not just "in your region" or local council area.

Maybe we should start a petition at no.10 for dedicated motorcycle lanes? Although they and "car drivers/tax payers" will see it as a "huge and unnecessary expense" they could introduce it gradually, so within say, 10 years, all major roads (motorways, dual carriiageways) will have a dedicated motorcyle lane??

Matt06
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats safe to do on a bike and in a car are very different.

Doesnt seem that dangerous to me.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't view the vid here at work but they look like a pair of cocks especially the one on the right.
Smile

I wouldn't overtake on the hard shoulder simply because you never know what kind of crap is lying on it - bits of wheel trim, sharp stones etc.

I think there's nothing wrong with moving through traffic but you should not do it with an agressive manner/attitude. Give people plenty of room.
You might be able to judge the overtaking situations clearly enough in your own head but you have to take into account the car drivers perception.
If you go swerving past someones wing mirror 40mph faster than them you might spook them into overeacting and cause a chain of events behind you.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car dirvers have enough of a problem observing what is behind them and to their right without making them stress about what is on their left as well!!! Mr. Green

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

andrea
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the start of the vid and hearing stoke-on-trent I thought it was Shaun and a video of his recent antics Laughing

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt06 wrote:
Whats safe to do on a bike and in a car are very different.

https://208.65.153.253/watch?v=NEr0la4gMiY

Cars doing the same thing, very not safe.

Aid Sells Bikes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it thats blatant undertaking, we all get stuck behind idiots on the motorway, who think the outside lane is thiers, but it doesnt excuse undertaking in any way.

I personally use the time behind slower vehicles to practice my wheelies and stoppies Smile

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:32 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it faintly annoying how they both posed themselves to make the most of what they believed to be impressively muscled arms, and were (in the video at least) completely unrepentant.

Despite their protestations, their riding style certainly did put them and others at risk, and the fact that they cannot accept the existence of such heightened risk leads me to believe that they are not sufficiently self aware to be risking such maneuvers.

Edit: oh, and I found this quote rather telling, considering the emphasis on speeding in the BBC story:

Quote:
Breaking the speed limit is a factor in 4% of motorbike fatalities, and Paul Cheshire, of BikeSafe Cymru, said the main cause was inexperience.

Also, can anyone suggest a reason as to why they were given a curfew for a motoring offense committed in the daytime?

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Also, can anyone suggest a reason as to why they were given a curfew for a motoring offense committed in the daytime?

Oy I asked first. Smile
Unless there is something we don't know there is no way they can justify imposing a curfew. Police state?

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I don't know anyone who overtakes on the hard shoulder or undertakes the outside lane at that speed.

You do...

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how much it would cost to put these "motorcycle" lanes along motorways, and main roads? billions!!

When the NHS, schooling, etc needs more funding, "motorbike" lanes are the least of their worries Wink

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 12:10 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought the highway code tells drivers to move back into the left after overtaking, simply solve the problem by enforcing this Cool

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 22 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undertaking isnt dangerous in the least, if the states and canada can manage to do it why cant we. The only negative thing about it in this country is that people dont expect to see people coming up on the left hand side of them.

To be honest if im sat behind someone in the right hand lane and theyre holding me up, and showing no sign of moving out the way. I wont hesitate to under take the muppets as long as its safe. But ill move straight back into the right hand lane. Its not what you do its how you do it.

I cant really see anything wrong with theyre riding apart from undertaking on the hard shoulder. And props to the guy telling it like it is. " when i get my licence back im going to get a faster bike and install a mirror on my tank just to look for helicopters" rofl.

Fenton Karma Thumbs Up

CBR400RR NC29 ( '06 - '09 )... TL1000 RK1 ( '10 - present )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1