Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long Way Down trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Long Way Down trip Reply with quote

Anyone heard anything about the latest expedition planned by Charlie Boorman / Ewan McGregor? Apparently from John O'Groats to South Africa if memory serves but I haven't heard when that'll be etc.

Cheers

Bri
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time this year LOL.

Can't wait.

Wikipedia wrote:

McGregor and Boorman are planning a sequel of sorts, riding from John o' Groats in northern Scotland to Cape Town, South Africa in 2007. As with Long Way Round, visiting and raising awareness for UNICEF projects will be an important part of the journey.[3] The Long Way Round website indicates that the project is confirmed, and will be called "Long Way Down". Boorman competed in the 2006 Dakar Rally, which was filmed and broadcast in various countries as Race To Dakar.[4]

Amazon wrote:

Long Way Down (Paperback)
Publisher: Sphere (4 Oct 2007)

iamBevan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:52 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: :D Reply with quote

That should be amazing, I was a massive fan of Long Way Round. Charlie's Race To Dakar is amazing to Smile

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 19:43 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick search and amazon.com has Long Way Down already listed and due to be published 4 Oct 2007.
So expect the trip, and I'm sure the associated TV show on Sky, sometime before that.

Then this report says that Ewan's wife, Eve, will be joining them for 3 weeks in the middle of the trip.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:05 - 30 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant, i love these two, and the way they promote biking is great! Hats off to them i say!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

polarman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:27 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squiffy_The_Wombat wrote:
brilliant, i love these two, and the way they promote biking is great! Hats off to them i say!

Me too. Watched the programmes and read the books.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:06 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Long Way Down - 3 week Late night special' Confused

Both been amazing so far, feel sorry for Mr Borman messing up his hands the way he did!

Should be good, i wonder which BMW they'll be riding... silly KTM missed a BIG trick there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bigwill
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:44 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant wait, Long Way Round was fantastic. I briefly met Charlie at the bike show and its so cool to meet someone so "up for it" about biking.

khoock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:57 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Way Down is scheduled for Sept 2007. I imagine details will get posted on https://www.longwayround.com/ as it appears
A left and a right. A left. Another left and right. An uppercut to the jaw. The fight was over. And so the ranch was saved. The young intern sat by himself in one corner of the coffee shop. He had learned about medicine, but more importantly, he had learned something about life. THE END

Racheldawn
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:50 - 04 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the long way round and Race to Dakar also. Ewan McGregor is bloomin funny..! They had to have so much skill, its was really interesting to watch them training and all the strange experiences they had.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Charlie appeared to be much the better of the two riders. Gotta admire the balls of that cameraman dude just passed his test and set off around the world.

I offered Charlie a turn at top-speed flyers on my tubo-bike. He said he was up for it and gave me a contact email but I never got a reply Neutral

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Racheldawn
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:14 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right about Charlie because he did Race to Dakar, he didnt complete it though, shows how hard it must be.

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved both the long way round and race to dakar, looking forward to this next one, love both these guys too, they are so likeable Mr. Green

chris___
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:31 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to this, loved Long Way Round and Race To Dakar.
Long Way Round was on TV just as I was learning to ride so I found it really inspiring.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:33 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seen the race to daka on sky last night and it messed with my head as it couldant be the new one but one of the guys broke his hand and they broke the support cars rear suspention so could it have been the new one (i thought it hadent been filmed yet )

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
i seen the race to daka on sky last night and it messed with my head as it couldant be the new one but one of the guys broke his hand and they broke the support cars rear suspention so could it have been the new one (i thought it hadent been filmed yet )

I'm lost - the new one?
He only did the dakar once (last year - not this year) and not sure he'll do it again after watching it.
It made me want to take part in a trip over the dunes etc but not a race as the speeds they were doing over rocks and boulders was almost suicidal!

Bri

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barker-CBR 600 wrote:
silly KTM missed a BIG trick there.

KTM didn’t think they could make it on their own, which they couldn’t.
Probably still would have looked good on KTM, but as they are relatively a bit more serious about off-road competition, they have different priorities.
Have a look at some of the other people that have done such things and, while still being impressive what they did, they had it very easy compared to others.

BMW were made to look not-great in both of the first two (power brakes, car, etc).

Will be interested to see the new one, as I’m hoping to do a similar trip myself at some point.

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 07 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally disagree - BMW bikes couldn't have come out of it looking better. Bare in mind how strong the 1100 GS sales are now in comparison to similar bikes before it showed. All those miles and no 'serious' faults - that's pretty impressive considering I think they only had 2 services during the route on the long way round. RE the car being crap in the race to dakar, if I were in the market for a serious off roader, I wouldn't buy and X5 anyway and I think most people who buy them live in cities so no big deal really.

I guess they'll be keeping the timing of their route very quiet for the Long Way Round as otherwise they'll be on one giant ride out through europe!

Bri

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:20 - 07 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect a lot of the people who buy the GS live in cities too Wink.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 07 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it was a good watch but I don't really think they achieved much what with the big fuckoff support crew and massive budget to plan routes, etc

It's not like they did it themselves, they had shitloads of help whereas our very own Nath from these boards did it with a rat bike and no support vehicles/budget.

I know which one's the bigger achievement out of the two.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
...with the big fuckoff support crew and massive budget to plan routes...Nath from these boards did it with a rat bike and no support vehicles/budget.

I know which one's the bigger achievement out of the two.

Yes, it's really, really hard finding and signing up all those sponsors and getting them to give you stuff for free.

Far easier to say screw it and sod off on your own Very Happy

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 07 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Charlie at the ally pally show if he thought the KTM would have made it all the way, and he said no. I wasn't expecting him to say anything else mind since he was BMW-sponsored, but he did sound sincere and he seemed to consider it before answering.

Funny thing that happened was a little boy who stood patiently for 15 minutes for his poster to be signed. Whe I got to the front of the queue I pointed him out to charlie and he said "sure" but when he unrolled the poster - It was a KTM Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

bigwill
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:36 - 07 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Suspect a lot of the people who buy the GS live in cities too Wink.

really pisses me off when i see mid 40 age blokes out on a sunday round the town on their shiny as fuck never seen rain GS. proper bought it as a designer label. If you aint gonna use it properly, GIVE IT TO ME!! haha.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 08 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind people disagreeing with me but jamie could you please explain why you disagree with what I posted?

I just think Nath achieved a lot more than they did...

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 09 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick saunders did the world on an R1 Wink

Really looking forward to this, can't remember where i found out but its been in the pipes a while, if they were to actually do the trip in the summer it would be cool as thats when i'm planning to ride to africa Laughing

(mind you mine is more of a sissy run Laughing )
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2