BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Public opinions count. Not.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

ilovensr
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:19 - 25 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone mentioned earlier that there are 10 mil people unemployed, this does seem a bit high but the whole point is if half of these people worked and actually helped the economy the government would save £300 mil each week, which could be used to save money on road tax

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:34 - 25 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To an extent true. However most bikes travel far few miles, and plenty of people with bikes have more than 1. Also the mileage people do is all over the place. On average bike would be better off. And those who do more miles than average would get screwed over either way.

Suspect with ~12k a year car average and ~40mpg average it would be about 10p a litre on fuel.

However it would not move people onto using roads at more emptier times.

ilovensr wrote:
someone mentioned earlier that there are 10 mil people unemployed, this does seem a bit high but the whole point is if half of these people worked and actually helped the economy the government would save £300 mil each week, which could be used to save money on road tax

Trouble is that all that is likely to happen is they will get non productive jobs at the DVLA or other government agency. So we would still be paying them from tax, but paying them more money and just having them spending their days wasting our time with pointless bureaucracy.

All the best

Keith

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 25 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

So we would still be paying them from tax, but paying them more money and just having them spending their days wasting our time with pointless bureaucracy.

That just sounds like politicials to me.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:46 - 25 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
That just sounds like politicials to me.

It is, but they cost even more.

All the best

Keith

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:11 - 01 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote BNP in the next general election, and get rid of these money grabbing greedy bastards.
Alternatively, organise a revolution against road pricing/taxation etc. It worked to get rid of the poll tax.
Or storm parliament, and lynch the bastards who impose these stealth taxes.
They've even made themselves exempt from the freedom of information bill, so we cant see that they DON'T pay road tolls/congestion charges etc. Bunch of fekking crooked bastards.
I wish the IRA was still active to plant a big f**k off bomb at the next Labour conference. Wipe them all out, YAY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:32 - 01 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing people seem to forget, is that we in Britian, pay more in tax than most other countries in the world, not just Europe. But so much money is spent on bureaucracy, and not on the things it is intended to fund. For instance, they still charge a RFT on vehicles, but there is actually a freeze on building new roads. And most bikers know that the money is not spent on repairs like it should be, judging by the amount of pot holes, manhole covers we swerv to avoid.
When was the last time you saw a stretch of road being resurfaced because of potholes etc?
They just repair the holes with sub standard materials. The roads in this country are becoming increasingly worse because of contractors digging them up to lay pipes/cables etc, and not being filled in correctly.
Even motorways aren't as good as they should be.
I would guess that about 3 quarters of the price of a gallon of fuel is tax, so why should we have to pay more?
I would not mind if the money was invested in greener technology, or improving the infrastructure. But instead, the money is used to fight pointless wars, where lots of lives are pointlessly lost at the cost of WORLD DOMINATION.
So send these bastards a message they cant ignore, and don't vote for them, or the conservatives, or liberals for that matter.
Do something bold and vote BNP in the next election, and put an end to this governments complacency when it comes to WASTING OUR MONEY.
Read the BNP manifesto on there website www.bnp.org.uk
They are not the racist thugs that so many would have us believe. But they are firm believers in patriotism, as i am too. We should not be scared to be proud to be British.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
phk6 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

demoNSR wrote:
They are not the racist thugs that so many would have us believe.

https://www12.nrk.no/magasin/upunkt/urort/bilder/scaled/82303_main.jpg

demoNSR wrote:
plant a big f**k off bomb at the next Labour conference. Wipe them all out, YAY

You almost had me there - that's hardly racist at all. Still a little short of the requirements for a convincing political argument but exactly what we've come to expect from the BNP...

Last edited by bazza on 13:33 - 02 Jun 2007; edited 1 time in total

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomsmith wrote:
I agree with specifically taxing fuel guzzling vehicles, but a general tax on fuel may not be the way to go.

The main reason I ride a motorcycle is the fuel effeciency. My GPZ regularly returns an mpg in the 70s, and thats not going everywhere at 50mph either. I rack up around 15,000 miles a year though, just commuting to and from work. If fuel tax went up significantly I would be hit hard even though I own a fuel efficient vehicle. I can't relocate closer to where I work as the cost of housing in that area is very high.

Perhaps a tax could be brought in that only targets vehicles that get less than 30mpg?

You don't technically ride a fuel efficient vehicle though, do you? Your GPZ (i'm guessing 500 here) is a 500cc naturally aspirated motor that only returns 70mpg despite being half the size of some modern 1 litre cars that are capable of returning 60mpg, and carrying 4-5 people. I'm betting that most, if not all of those miles were on your own, maybe occasionally carrying a pillion.

What I don't get is the idea that the larger the motor the more tax you pay.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:48 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Agree 100%. If you want to tax fuel consumption, then tax the fuel directly. Doing otherwise is just deceitful.

All the best

Keith

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
demoNSR wrote:
They are not the racist thugs that so many would have us believe.

https://www12.nrk.no/magasin/upunkt/urort/bilder/scaled/82303_main.jpg

demoNSR wrote:
plant a big f**k off bomb at the next Labour conference. Wipe them all out, YAY

You almost had me there - that's hardly racist at all. Still a little short of the requirements for a convincing political argument but exactly what we've come to expect from the BNP...

So your solution is?

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

demoNSR wrote:
So your solution is?

Ridicule.

HTH. HANFD.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:

Agree 100%. If you want to tax fuel consumption, then tax the fuel directly. Doing otherwise is just deceitful.

All the best

Keith

The general fuel tax idea has to be the best of a bad bunch. So many factors go into the fuel consumptions and emissions of a vehicle, as well as the amount of damage they do to the roads that lumping it all on engine size is ridiculous. It would be better to have a true one size fits all system than what we have now, an unfair and limited system acting like a one size fits all system.

The only issue is, I'm confused as to why a car that does less to the gallon should pay more tax. Fuel consumption is totally irrelevant as to the cleanliness and efficiency of a motor.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:25 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

True, but it is a direct tax on the actual fuel used. Possible to seperate it from the amount of distance travelled and tax that seperatly, but that adds a massive expense to the tax collection and is intrusive.

While pollution is pretty much independent of fuel consumption (although some people regard CO2 emissions as pollution, and they are pretty much directly proportional to fuel used), a very large part of the pollution from a vehicle is caused by making it in the first place. So running older vehicles which pollute more per mile can quite easily be less polluting overall compared to buying a new car.

All the best

Keith

demoNSR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:28 - 03 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
demoNSR wrote:
So your solution is?

HTH. HANFD.

?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Or like when they found that a Hybrid car does more damage to the environment because of the eventual disposal of the acid from the onboard batteries, and the larger amount of plastic used in the composite bodywork.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2