Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

European Law to limit new vehicle speed to 101mph?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:45 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: European Law to limit new vehicle speed to 101mph? Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/europe_diary/default.stm

Scary stuff. But if it does happen I'm sure the aftermarket industry will fall over themselves to sell us 'de restriction' boxes...

<scary bit>
Quote:
He wants to ban cars that are capable of doing more than 101mph... that's 162km/h. (It's based on 25% more than the average upper speed limit.) Only military, emergency and police cars would be exempt from the law, which would come into force in four years' time.

</scary bit>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....no-one should be doing over 70mph anyway....

It would make new vehicles undesirable and oler vehicles more desirable.

Better start saving for my busa or zzr Rolling Eyes

iloveriding
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:16 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dale, Our speed limit is 70 MPH so why have a bike that does 150mph.
As long as we keep the lower end speed (acceleration)
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:08 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iloveriding wrote:
I agree with Dale, Our speed limit is 70 MPH so why have a bike that does 150mph.
Tony

I think you're missing the point.

This is just the beginning of a slippery slope of legislation which would eventually mean everyone will be driving around in Smart cars or something.

Motorcycles aren't a form of transport, they aren't particularly carbon efficient... if it becomes law it will be the beginning of the end of motorcycling or motoring for recreational purposes.

Its more serious than you think.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iloveriding wrote:
Tony

Because when I go touring on the continent, or take in a track day I want to go faster than 70mph Mr. Green

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there would be implications in that it would practically endorse 100mph as legitimate. The law is an ass. If they write down a limit of 100mph, then they must justify why they did so.

As soon as they justify it, they introduce legitimate reasons for exceeding the speed limit, which weakens the speed limit laws.

This confusion alone might stop such legislation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Motorcycles aren't a form of transport

Motorcycles arent a form of transport? im pretty sure when i start my engine and get into gear, give it some revs and release some clutch it moves me forward a bit....

I use my motorbike daily to go to college, work, the gym, etc. How can it not be a form of transport? walking is a form or transport such is push biking....

Dont mean to be rude or anything marjay, i agree with you on many other things, but motorcycles not a form of transport?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:18 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Motorcycles aren't a form of transport

Motorcycles arent a form of transport? im pretty sure when i start my engine and get into gear, give it some revs and release some clutch it moves me forward a bit....

I use my motorbike daily to go to college, work, the gym, etc. How can it not be a form of transport? walking is a form or transport such is push biking....

Dont mean to be rude or anything marjay, i agree with you on many other things, but motorcycles not a form of transport?

You don't have to use a bike.

A parent who wanted to take a child to school would use a car. Someone who wanted personal transport to get from A to B would generally use a car.

Are you saying you aren't a motorcycle enthusiast? Cos probably every person who rides a motorcycle is enthusiastic about them.

However... there are many people who drive cars who don't know the first thing about them and don't want to. They just want a device to take them and their stuff and their kids from A to B.

In that sense, Motorcycles are not transport but an enthusiast vehicle. You can /use/ your bike to get to work... but as far as european law is concerned most people don't use bikes for transport.

In the same way that if you had a Ferrari, you wouldn't use it to go to the shops or pick your kids up from School.

ilovensr
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:56 - 07 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
In the same way that if you had a Ferrari, you wouldn't use it to go to the shops or pick your kids up from School.

if i was kid i would want my parents to. i dont know about you but if my dad did had a ferrari i would want him to turn up in it every day. would get some serious respect

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 08 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see your sense now marjay, however i still disagree. Yeah alot of motorbike riders are enthusiasts........but i dont think that makes them any less of a transport vehicle.

i thought of a good comparison, but its late at night and i forgot. Embarassed

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:24 - 08 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
i see your sense now marjay, however i still disagree. Yeah alot of motorbike riders are enthusiasts........but i dont think that makes them any less of a transport vehicle.

There are around 150 times more passenger miles done by car in the UK than by motorcycle. Which shows how unimportant we are as far as transport goes. And I suspect a fairly large number of those miles are just riding for pleasure rather than for a useful purpose.

All the best

Keith

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:39 - 08 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dale having a bike is still a form of transport as it gets you from A-B just like a bus (public transport) so a bike would be personal transport like a car is I wanted a bike for both joy and a quick way to get to work while being happy too.A car can be an a hobby too esp since the aftermarket range is huge in the car buisness.Anything that gets you to the shops of work is transport some one said once their mode of transport is their legs! transport is defined as to carry or convey from one place to another anyways I never listen to the european law making people anyways as if we all did we would all be daft as a brush just like them.

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:13 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol sod that, if they bringitin it willmost likely be an ecu mod to cars and bikes which would be easy enough to sort out.

plus our 70mph speed limit it years out of date modern cars and bikes could safley travell at 100mph on a motorway.

as a person who spends 95% of his time on teh road speeding i do not want this legislation to comein
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thinkingabout...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 17 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes do not pollue says French govt org

Biking is an environmentally sound way of life, saves road space, yet certain Greens and Eurocrats will always do their bit to push them towards oblivion. While the idea in this instance is to ban all vehicles from exceeding 100mph, it is just poorly thought out. It will simply encourage the rider/driver to keep at 70 mph for longer to compensate for losing out the chance to go faster when it is safe and reasonable. Eurocrats will probably be also exempt from the 100 mph limit, their farts are probably responsible for half of the annual temperature rise.

jon_nsr
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my motorcycle is my only transport, i couldnt go to work without it.
My bike is my toy, and my transport.

also as far as work goes, alot of motorcycle couriers depend on their bikes for obvious reasons.

Ive never had a car, so that isnt even an option.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 17 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

notice the greedy fucks have put it to 101mph rather than 100 just so they get more money and people lose licences due to that 1mph...
i think as long as your speeding safely it should be ok. speeding through slow moving traffic shouldnt be allowed.

it wont happen.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 17 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportsikes might not be so carbon-efficient as cars on a clear run having a higher CoF than most cars - but there are plenty of situations where they are. Many small- and mid-capacity commuter bikes return better mileage than cars and when you consider a heavily-congested area cars will spend the vast majority of their time at a standstill but still running whereas bikes will be on the move for the most of the time.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 17 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course bikes are a form of transport, I got rid of my car and soley use my bike, be it shopping, going to work (when I have any) or getting from A-B. Fun and enthusiasm is a bye product.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Point being there are a tiny number of people using bikes for transport. Hardly a relevant number in comparison to cars, buses or trains.

All the best

Keith

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 17 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like that anti bike guy a few years ago that wanted a euro wide 100bhp limit for bikes.

It never came in.

Wait and see me think.

*Waits for e-petition to be started*

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will never happen (i bloody hope), their are a very small amount of accidents at 100+ mph, motorways are the safest roads to travel on. so i dont see how it will really help, their are so many things said everyday along these lines but there is a very small chance of it happning! They have been threatening us with a 100Bhp limit since the early 90's and to increasing the driving age to 18? They should actually put some money into making the roads safer and educating drivers moor instead of restricting us.
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea will be rejected by car manufacturers all over the world.
Voluntary 250km/h limiter is now attached by Benz/BMW, but not by Porsche(I remember). Such limiter should be voluntarily attached by each manufacturers at first in my opinion.

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's MCN but... Government rejects speed limiter calls

Quote:
Calls for speed limiters on motorcycles have been rejected by the Government this morning.

A Government response to the calls said speeding did not cause enough motorcycle accidents to warrant the move.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:15 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

St0rmer66 wrote:
It's MCN but... Government rejects speed limiter calls

Quote:
Calls for speed limiters on motorcycles have been rejected by the Government this morning.

A Government response to the calls said speeding did not cause enough motorcycle accidents to warrant the move.

All I can say to that is:

Oh Right! Giggidy Giggidy! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bennefit of when I was 33bhp.

Was that I couldn't go more than 92.

I mean, i'm going to get in trouble but not serious trouble.

Its also very very easy to be over a tonne and not realise it.

I have to rag the pants off the ER5, whereas on the Z750s, look down
ohh "shhhhhh" , break.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3