Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

speedo accuracy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: speedo accuracy Reply with quote

whats the accuracy like in terms of percentage error?

my bike's getting fixed and derestricted at the moment and the mechanic told me that on a test ride he got 100 out of it. He's also about 6'4" and 16 and a half stone! I'm wondering how accurate that is, cos with me on it (12 and a half stone) it must get speeds of over 100 on the clock?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 12:19 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

fully derestricted it should reach 100mph with most people on the back, the nsr's speedo is quite accurate from what ive seen, plus remember he is a bike technician he will know exactly how to get the most out of the bike.

matt Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doesn't Keen have a Cagiva Planet? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 12:21 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i assumed he had an nsr! nah hes fuckign with yer Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol- I did hear that they only do 85 when derestricted unless you change the rear sprocket (the standard one is massive) but they haven't so the rumours must be wrong. The 0-60 should be pretty good as well with 43 teeth Very Happy

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

minesweeper wrote:
plus remember he is a bike technician he will know exactly how to get the most out of the bike matt Wink

i know of quite a few mechanics that dont have a clue about getting the most out of bikes, in terms of speed anyway.... the blokes at our local bike shop dont have a clue and get most of their info from haynes manuals......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:12 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Legally a speedo cannot read low and is allowed to read up to 10% high. Some seem to be more highly "tuned" than that

All thebest

Keith

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 21:12 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith, are bikes tested before they are allowed into showrooms, by an independant organisation or something?

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might be tredding a little out of my depth here but also remember (this mainy goes to electric speedo's) that as the tread on the tire wears down it will effect the accuracy of the speedo although this is probably so minor it isn't worth looking at. when i was doing my test and lessons on the CG125 my instructor always told me that the speedos were around 5mph out of the actual speed (thats -5mph)
another thing that pisses me off is that if you are more than 2mph over the limit you get shafted by the police... how the hell are you meant to know your speedo is bang accurate and doesn't have an error of a few mph?????........geeez
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:42 - 17 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant use the inaccurate speedo as an excuse. if the speedo is reading high and you get done for speeding then you would of thought that you were travelling faster than you were - therefore making things worse for yourslef. If the speedo was reading low then its illegal - therefore making things worse for yourself.

chunkielad
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:22 - 17 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus the police have a general rule of allowing 10% of the speed limit plus 2mph before they book you as there's just too much paperwork other wise - saying that I only got a warning for 40 in a 30 zone - so it's really down to the cop at the time of the incident.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:27 - 17 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
keith, are bikes tested before they are allowed into showrooms, by an independant organisation or something?

Hi

Dont think so.

Yes tyres do affect the speedo reading. Say on a car with a 185/60 14 tyre. New that has a diameter of 577mm. Say the tyre wears down by 5mm then that makes a 10mm difference to diameter, which will make the speedo read about 2% higher for the same speed

All the best

Keith

batman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:24 - 19 Aug 2002    Post subject: speedo Reply with quote

speedos are usually well inaccurate
the thing is they are required to be accurate to an extent, so up to about 100 they tend to be pretty much correct
after this however they tend to be very inaccurate
a gsxr 600 will indicate 180+ but only does a true 169
a hayabusa will show 200+ but its true top is 189

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 19 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're only saying that because you have an RS125 Wink with one of the most highly-tuned speedos around!

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:06 - 19 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

batman wrote:
a gsxr 600 will indicate 180+ but only does a true 169

Impressive, considering that a Fireblade only does 168-171mph Rolling Eyes

batman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:06 - 20 Aug 2002    Post subject: it is Reply with quote

new fireblade does about 176
gsxr 600 does 169, 750 is as fast as a blade , 1000 does 181

batman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:11 - 20 Aug 2002    Post subject: in case it starts Reply with quote

in case your wonderin where i got this, august performance bikes test on ultimate track bike
heres the tested speeds:
2002 honda fireblade 172.2 mph(indicated 187) but shagged tyres blamed for it not being as fast as it may have
2002 gsxr600 169.8 mph(indicated 186)
rsv mille 173.8mph(indicated 173) so accurate there
also yes the rs125 lies it arse off, says its doin 115 when its only doin 100 or so, my mates fzr 250 showed 110 tho and i was goin beside him and my speedo read 95!! they all lie :P

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:31 - 20 Aug 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, fair enough mate Smile

It's funny how the Aprilia speedo (ok, it's not an RS125) was the only that actually read true? Confused

batman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:21 - 20 Aug 2002    Post subject: hehe Reply with quote

yeah they said the same thing, usually italian bikes tend to lie a lot on speedos!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1