Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


another "what bike ?" question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

resin
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: another "what bike ?" question Reply with quote

Hi all.

Looking for some advice and hope you folks can help me out.

Im looking for some cheap transport to get to Uni and work in September. The main problem is I live in the middle of nowhere. Public transport is total rubbish and the cost of car insurance is sky high. I got sdme motorbike quotes and they came back suprisingly cheap, must be something to do with my age (24)

Its roughly 35 miles round trip from my front door to Uni and back on a mix of slow A roads and town work. No motorways and a mere 4 miles of dual carriageway

Im looking at getting a bike and riding just on my CBT as I dont really have a lot of cash to play with. Ive had a look at some bikes in the local shop and asked the adive of the sales bloke and he says to go for a Direct Access and buy something bigger, but I dont have the cash for that.

Ive been told that a 125 2 stroke (eg TZR125 or AF1) would be crap as they wont go the distance. The second hand bike market around here is crap. I dont want something that is really dull as there are some fun roads where I live!

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what bikes will be good for riding these distances? Would a 2 stroke do it OK? Should I look at one of the 125 cruisers instead?

Thanks for your help
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealer has already supplied you with the correct answer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 35mile trip each day would suck if you bought something high maintenance or unreliable.

I'd recomend a Honda CG125. You will do the milegage require minimal maintenance and are disgustingly cheap.

Mine was also a good deal of fun in the twisties.

If you've got the cash and want a sporty looking bike then there is always the CBR125.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

resin
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on the second hand market in case something crops up.

I looked at the cost of DAS and I simply cant afford it, the prices for doing it where I live are amazingly high.

I might get a 125 for the time being, get some miles in and then look at getting maybe 2 lessons next summer on a bigger bike and then taking a test and moving on from there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 39.47 Kb