Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wish I hadn't bothered...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Wish I hadn't bothered... Reply with quote

Trying to polish my downpipes Sad

Thanks to this thread,

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=117489

having £20 in my wallet and having the day off I thought I'd give it a go.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/dull.jpg

Thats what 10 year old, 22,000 mile pipes that have never been polished and rarely cleaned look like. I couldn't even remember what colour they were when I got the bike so out came the autoglym and the wire wool.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/bitbetter2.jpg

That's what I managed after about 2 hours and dead arms. Not great but better than before. I don't why I thought they'd come up more shiney than that, perhaps I should just invest in a full stainless system and be done with it! Or maybe I should of spent the 2 hours actually cleaning my engine, it definitley needs it!

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it a go with a wire brush attattchment on a drill or angle grindr that will take it off in seconds then go at it with the autoglym and wirewool to get the polished finish.

to be fair they look alot better and the downpipes in the link werent nearly as dirty to start wiht as urs were
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 17:08 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Thumbs Up

Clean isn't about getting it spotless first time, just keep cleaning it an get it a bit better each time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went down the opposite route with the GPZ...
I bought and fitted brand new stainless steel pipes recently, but sprayed them with high temp black paint first

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I may get some wet and dry sand paper soon as I don't have a drill but I was a bit scared to just go at it with wet and dry first time because I wasn't sure how scratched they might get. I'll probably do some on the engine first though, get it nice for the summer Very Happy

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks to cleaning it, go and teach yourself to wheelie.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 19 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, if it wasn't my only form of transport and didn't have wobbly wheel bearings I would of learnt to do that instead! Can't really risk trashing my bike without having a backup although I have been toying with the idea to get another (cheap) bike just for messing on, maybe a 125 so I can teach the missus to ride aswell!

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my xj as a work hack. My main form of transport. Still takes a hell of alot of abuse.

Go on you big girl, first gear, 4k revs, clutch in, whack on the power and bobs your uncle.

MIKEY B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you spend the 20 quid on a polishing kit from ebay like I did.

Roughly an hours worth of work and look at the difference:

Before:

MIKEY B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:21 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

After:

MIKEY B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to do the collector but I left it on purpose as I am contemplating chopping it off to fit in with my custom exhaust idea.

You will need to borrow a reasonably powerful drill to use the polishing kits.

Mike.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the kit? I should probably buy a drill if I'm going to start polishing my bike aswell really. Any recommendations for cheapish ones?

I might go and try some wheelies later...... Wink

MIKEY B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will see if I can dig out the link, if not just type polishing kit in the motorcycle parts & accessories section on ebay. Wink

Mike.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 16:55 - 27 Jun 2007    Post subject: Re: Wish I hadn't bothered... Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
perhaps I should just invest in a full stainless system and be done with it!

I did that after my OE (what the hell does that even stand for, original equipment? Confused) ones corroded to fuck.

Believe me they still get tarnished to fuck, not that ive ever tried cleaning them mind you. Also need to buy in a load more springs as some of the last lot shattered after a few weeks (could be the wheelies).
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:45 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whipped my headers off today, Ive got quite big plans for the NC29. Not sure weather to buy a set of Stainless headers, or take mine in for chroming.

I had a blast at them with 40 Wet and dry, Then with some 1200 wet and dry before blasting over it with a bit of autosol and a rag. The bits ive done have come up spot on. But for the £20 its going to cost me in sand paper and autosol to do it myself, I think ill just pay the extra and get them chromed.

Good work though dude, Just get them finished! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 13:59 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the world gone Gay? What's with all this recent cleaning melarky?

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 14:50 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Has the world gone Gay? What's with all this recent cleaning melarky?

Well thanks to your Konica thread, and the fact ive sent some of my fairings off for tidying up, Ive got 2 weeks to tart up my naked Bike! Laughing

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/binge/DSC00186.jpg

YUCK!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to leave mine looking like a mucky shed, no point trying to fool anyone Laughing On the note of a bigger bike up ^there^ I'd say get an nsr125, they are ok for learning new things on, won't be too expensive in damages and you could learn the missus, then sell it on for roughly the same amount = almost free bike for a while. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1