Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

tell me about the xj 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:16 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: tell me about the xj 600 Reply with quote

as some of you may know I'm after a bike for when I pass my test.
So any details/problems/experiences with the xj 600 would be much appreciated if shared Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although considered a sportbike in its day, the FJ seems like a standard today. With its frame-mounted half-fairings and sporty riding position, this bike is still striking today. If you can find a clean example of this elegant bike, buy it.

Its the fore runner to the XJ, so maybe a little dated as mentioned above but looks like a comfy little tourer.

Other info on the bike:

Quote:
In the history of motorcycling, THE YAMAHA FJ600 SERIES deserve a few lines - not for being such a fabulous bike - because they really are little more than a competent UJM - but rather for being the first Japanese in-line 4 with a 600cc capacity. From this bike, came the 600 super-sports of today.

Back in the 1983, there were no 600s. Lots of 550s though, such as the Yamaha XJ550, the Honda CBX550, the Suzuki GSX550 (in various forms) and the Kawasaki GPz550. All of these bikes had essentially grown out of 500s, or in response to another Japanese manufacturer putting out a 550. Then in 1984 Yamaha released its XJ600. (The same bike was released in the USA in 1984 as the FJ600.)

The XJ600 was a refinement of the previous XJ550 - a 2 valve, air cooled engine with chain drive. The engine was narrow as the designers had put the alternator behind the motor. The XJ600 was one of Yamahas first 4 cylinder bikes to run a mono shock rear suspension design. I think the FJ1100 was the first - it was released in Australia in 1983.

Kawasaki was the first to respond, with its more powerful (but much more sports focused) water cooled GPZ600R in 1985. Honda's CBR600 was not released until about 1988 The CBR600 was substantially more powerful than any other 600 at that time. Suzuki and Yamaha also released their 600 sporties - the GSXR and FZR in the late 1980s into a market place that embraced their products keenly. The 600 super sports had really arrived...

But it was the XJ600 that started it all. It's really a sports -tourer, so it does not inflict some of the physical compromises that later 600s do on their riders. In 1984 it was faster than any other 550 on the road, and gave most Japanese 750s a solid run for their money. Indeed for about 9 months it the fastest thing under 750cc - until the GPZ600R was released. It design has aged well, as it was essentially re-released in 1993 as the XJ600 Diversion (or Seca, depending on which market your from.)

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone on here get one as a hack recently??

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a search for xj600 and it seems that quite a few people on here have or have had one at some stage.

Arrow https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=116479

faddius
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:32 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has one, nice bike, quite comfy. But hella heavy though and really skinny tyres.

Be willing to say its more heavy than a bandit, but not quite as heavy as the VFR750.

VFR was a nightmare, back ache everytime I went out on it for more than 30 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:03 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one. It was cool.

Peg downed it so much I completely destroyed the pegs and had to buy new ones.

They handle really well for what they are tbh. Very cheap, not toooooo ugly.

Watch out for rotting exhaust, and if it's a pre-diversion, they're quoted at just over 72bhp. They'll lift the front wheel with a bit of clutch.

First bike I ever learnt to knee down.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-Ham wrote:
Didn't someone on here get one as a hack recently??

I did.

And after a month or so I still think it's shit. Mines the Xj600N, like a div just unfaired. Totally void of any character. At all. Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bike. Find it stable and predictable to ride in all conditions. Not sure how it compares weight wise to say a bandit, but i have found it comfortable to move around and i'm not big and strong. MPG wise i get high 60th without trying to hard to conserve juice and that includes 2 up and the usuall traffic light grand prix on the commuting run.
Maintance wise they are easy to work on, either the faired or unfaired versions. Exhausts can be a pain as they are known to rot between down pipes and silencers, but then again so do many other bikes of the era. Motad do a 4-1 thats OK or there are some 4-2 that are better, but more £££

R reg, 28,000 on the clock still sounds as sweet as ever.

All in all i love mine... Plenty of other DIVVY owners in that link. Laughing

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 23:08 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pre-divvy

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/XJ/Full/XJ.JPG

This is a diversion model.

https://yamaha-xj.tomsmz.net/xjgalery/yamaha-xj600s-diversion-1996-ns.jpg

The former is more powerful, and is a sports bike of the 80s, the diversion is a tourer of the 90s.

The former is my actual bike.

Gaz

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 25 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the diversion, cracking little(heavy bastad mind) bike.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 26 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1997 XJ600N and it's a good bike if you want a solid all rounder. I use it everyday in all weathers and it starts first time everytime. It's easy to work on although saying that I haven't had to undertake anything serious as it's been very reliable. Oil changes are a doddle and if you keep up with general maintenance then it should keep fine. I will say however that a winter of everyday riding killed my brake calipers and they needed a good service to get them back up to scratch for the summer and I had to replace the real caliper entirely as it had messed itself up so much (but I could of just cleaned more often I guess!).

I get about 50mpg average (as I ride motorways 90% of the time at about 80mph with no screen) and have had 60+ before now on good long runs on A roads. It does about 160 miles usually to a tank so you're not diving for the petrol stations every time you see one and it costs on average £13 to fill up.

It's not the fastest bike but it's quite pokey low down and will sit at 80-85mph all day on the motorway no problem. My XJ really starts to struggle after the ton but I've had about 118mph on the clock (on private roads of course...) and bear in mind I have no wind protection at all.

Handling wise I'd say it's about average. I recently had my XJ off the road as the tax had run out and it needed a few little tweaks for the MOT so I managed to borrow my mates R6 which cornered like it was on rails. After getting back on my XJ it feels a bit vague and not super confident when you're really going for it but then I guess that's a bit unreasonable because you're not going to be buying this bike for it's sports heritage! I use bridgestone BT45's on it and they cost about £165 for the pair, the rear will last about 5-6k and the front about 8-9K.

It's comfortable to sit on all day and I've done full tanks before needing to stop to get the feeling back into my bum. It's great for pillions as I take my girlfriend on it all the time as I don't have a car and she doesn't drive.

Bad points that I can think of are the headlight is about as useful as a head torch so you may want stick some fancy bulb in it and the seat on mine is starting to get a bit thin on the bum although it is showing about 27,000 miles now. Also, there's an annoying vibration between 4,000 and 4,500 revs which is about 50mph in top.

I've had this bike for about 14 months now and I've put about 23,000 miles on it in that time as it is my only form of transport. If you're looking for a reliable workhorse that won't let you down then go and buy one of these but if you're after something focused/sporty then look elsewhere. They're cheap to pick up and there are some real bargains and minters out there. If you do get one, keep on top of the calipers and other general maintenance and you'll have a cracking little bike. Thumbs Up

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/2bikes4.jpg

HTH

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:37 - 26 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Divvy too and what KLR600 has said is spot on.
I love mine and its on 33k and still going well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 26 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an xj600 (old type, not divvy) when I passed my test. Cracking bike, I think I had mine for about 18 months and did 15,000 miles on it before I sold it for about £100 less than I paid.
It was reliable, cheap to run, and a great first "big" bike.
I'd have another in my "dream garage".

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 26 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divvy is reliable, not too heavy, handles fine. Finish is ok on most bits bar the exhaust which rots badly.

Engine is mild-not gutless per say but lacks any real urge.

Good first big bike. The faired model is far better-nice riding position, effective fairing and makes a good economical light tourer.

Too boring for most experienced riders.

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:05 - 27 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bish777 wrote:
Too boring for most experienced riders.

I personally see mine as a challange. I like the fact that you can't rely on shed loads of power to be quick on the Sunday blast and that it's your road reading ablility and cornering skill.

Don't get me wrong it's not the same buzz as the cbr1000r or zx12r that i have had the pleasure of blatting about on, but riding the XJ does not need to be boring!

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 27 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could wring the neck out of the thing and it would never scare the shit out of me, thats how i quantify boring.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 27 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bish777 wrote:
I could wring the neck out of the thing and it would never scare the shit out of me, thats how i quantify boring.

Try doing anything over 90mph on the flyover section of Oldham bypass on one then..... Sick

echoball
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:17 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had onr for about 18 months (45K on the clock). Its been great for a bit of commuting, touring etc. I did have a problem with the front caliper (replaced) and the swingarm bearings recently. Other than that, the seat gets a bit hard after about two hrs (sheepskin will fix that) and it has a bit of a vibe at 3700. Due for a shim service and it should be fine after that.

The only downer is a lack of power, starting to twist the throttle a little too much these days.

It's been a really good cheap bike. Not many here in Aus as most people like to get about on more powerful litre bikes or cookie cutter racers.

AN GOF.
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really to add to the above comments. Had my XJ600N for a year and its never let me down. like everybody says keep on top of general mainintance and it will go on for ever. Insurance is cheap as well which is a big bonus Thumbs Up

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 10:24 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine met an untimely death by me falling off, snapping a stud in the head just before the MOT. £30 for a new engine (which was different) so we swapped the heads. I didn't torque it down properly and it blew a headgasket.

So I sold it at a loss of £45.

Good bikes if a touch boring. Still more fun than an er-5 or such.

Gaz

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

Try doing anything over 90mph on the flyover section of Oldham bypass on one then..... Sick

Try 140mph over the Gypsy Patch Lane flyover in bristol on a GSXR1100, thats a bit exciting.

(Anyone starting to get why divvys bore me now?)

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloces wrote:
I have a Divvy too and what KLR600 has said is spot on.
I love mine and its on 33k and still going well!

+1 Thumbs Up to that.

I had a "Red Peril" just like KLR60's, but with twin disks on the front, an replacement 4-1 nexxus exhaust and hugger.

K.

1280 x 1024.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, what's the deal with most being single discs? Mine has two.

Confused

Swim41
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:18 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 600 got dual front discs in 1997/1998 I think.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim41 wrote:
The 600 got dual front discs in 1997/1998 I think.

Must be 98 coz mine is 97 and its single. Still plenty of stopping power.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2