Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to stay in scotland ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

flat eric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:29 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Where to stay in scotland ? Reply with quote

Myself and some friends from Bikechatforum are thinking of riding to scotland next summer (if we're lucky enough to get one next year) and stay over, hopefully at a bike friendly place, maybe one that has some secure parking.

Can anyone suggest where we should be looking for a place to stay ?

I've googled bike friendly places, and it came up with a map of scotland, and said click on an area and bike friendly places will pop up. true to their word it does as it says on the tin. But i don't know if the places they suggest are any good, and are the roads any good around each particular place. Also are there any places of interest near by.

Hope someone can help. Very Happy

all the best,
flat eric.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:38 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any clues as to where in Scotland you are thinking of heading.

For example you would have to ride for about 8h solid to get from Stranraer to Wick. It's bigger than a lot of people think.

What sort of accommodation are you after? B&B, hostel, hotel, camping?

flat eric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:57 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, sorry.

we are looking at Dumfries or Galloway area ( to be honest, i am open to suggestions as to regards where in scotland is nice to stay). and the accomodation type would preferably be hotel or b&b. we are trying to get some secure parking info from some hotels.

have you had any experience of travelling to scotland ?
if so, where did you stay ?

any suggestions are welcome. Thumbs Up

all the best,
flat eric.

phil2alp
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:59 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The West coast is very good scenery. As is anywhere in the Highlands.

Can't remember where we stayed but we didn't stop at specifically biker friendly places and had no problems. Most places have somewhere you can park off road.

If you go in summer, especially school holidays, and don't book ahead don't leave it too late in the day to start finding accommodation in popular places as it gets very busy. I think we got just about the last two beds in Loch Lomond when we arrived there at about 5pm on a monday afternoon. I was surprised how many tourists there were in Scotland. Laughing

samharcus
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:56 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Re: Where to stay in scotland ? Reply with quote

flat eric wrote:
I've googled bike friendly places, and it came up with a map of scotland, and said click on an area and bike friendly places will pop up.

I've never come across this site.. what's the URL? Link me Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sanchezz_182
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:35 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't come to dumfries its a shithole!! Laughing

ther is some good roads though. as for biker friendly camp sites i can't really think of any although i know sutherness camp site u can park ur bike rite next to your tent...and its close to some good roads.

to be honest id head north to the highlands, although its a few more hours ride,.

tiger777
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:32 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Hubby and I are off for a week of biking in Scotland at the end of the month, all our accommodation was found through
https://www.bike-stay.net

So can't help you at the moment but once back I can post info regards our accommodation etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stoo
PoshBoy

PostPosted: 15:12 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favour and join the Scottish section, few of us venture out of it. You'll get plenty of help and can read our tour threads which will be of use. Head for the highlands, you won't regret it. Thumbs Up

flat eric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:49 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to TIGER777 for the web-site. i'll give it a try. let me know via PM how you get on. thanks.

thanks also to UNCLESTOO for the tip, will follow up today.

the site i found for information regarding the bike friendly places to stay is at https://www.scotland.mag-uk.org/Sco_BFriendly.php

all the best, and thanks again.

flat eric. :up

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:35 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

its scotland mag so they will know, i should presume every where they recomend is good.

if their any thing like east yorkshire mag their a set of cunts who know what they like and what is good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xjr1300
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:56 - 22 Jul 2007    Post subject: Scotland Reply with quote

Hi,
Just done our third trip to Scotland. Try Morags Lodge in Fort Augustus. Brilliant accomodation and a good base for the Highlands and West Coast. Run from there to Kyle of Lochalsh, over Applecross Pass and up to Ullapool is the best ride I,ve ever done.
Regards, Bill. Sheffield
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1