Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Test with no lessons. Possible?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 10:50 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Test with no lessons. Possible? Reply with quote

Do you reckon it is possible to pass the restricted test without taking any lessons? I've been riding for a few months now and think I ride quite well and sensibly. If I got any technical points off you guys then as long as I ride well for 1hour it might be possible. Even if I failed I would find out from the examiner where I went wrong and could try again in a couple of weeks. It would still be cheaper than getting lessons for 2 days before hand.

I do intend eventually doing advanced courses to get the insurance down, but the moment I am skint but want to get the two year coundown ticking! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 11:00 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not...you can even do your Direct Access test without lessons...although you'll have to arrange a bike and insurance on your own though Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 11:03 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go directly through the DSA you wont have to book lessons, if you go to an Instructors they will give you an asessment and tell you if you need lessons or not...... personally i would recommend at least a days lesson it will help you get rid of your bad habbits......

if you feel confident tho go for it mate....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:30 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are just sooo many variables. I was riding for 9 months, rode spot on on the tests and still failed. the lass who took her test before me (the 1st time) passed after some monumental fuckups. You're still gonna know shit about what the examiner wants if you don't take any lessons.
Do you know all your lifesavers?

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 11:54 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do the direct access but I would need lessons to do that which I can't afford. Besides I can't afford a big bike or big bike insurance so there is no point. I might as well save my money and build up 2 years of NCB for now.

I don't know my lifesavers, but I figure they are things I can find out about.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did test without lessons. passed on the 4th, it came to 160 quid.

still cheaper than having training by a way.

my mate had no lessons, a CBT and 3 months experience. he passed first time.

so go for it.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 13:11 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
i did test without lessons. passed on the 4th, it came to 160 quid.

still cheaper than having training by a way.

my mate had no lessons, a CBT and 3 months experience. he passed first time.

so go for it.

That's what I wanted to hear! Very Happy Now that I know it's possible I think I will go for it. As you say it is cheaper to keep on failing and find out from the examiner what you did wrong! Cool

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont spose someone could explain all the times you need to do a lifesaver??

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I just got a quote for some training. £210 for 3, 4 hour sessions. That includes test fees too. Works out nearly as cheap as failing 4 times!

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 14:21 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time you do ANYTHING! Change direction, change speed (signs and lights) and pretty much everything else

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 14:26 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you drive away in your car test you have to do a stupid and unrealistic car check, such as "double check door is shut", so is there an equivalent for the bike test e.g., "check you are facing the correct direction on the bike"?

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 14:30 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike fucks up while ur riding and it's something you could've spotted then you'll fail.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 14:50 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make you sure have fuel!...and be sure that you're comfortable switching the fuel tap on the move, just in case...

You're responsible for ensuring that your bike is in roadworthy condition...if your brake switch sticks, and gives off a false impression that you're riding the brake lever, you can be failed...but they'll usually let you off if it's the fault of the bike school.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 14:55 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can prove you've checked the bike and the fault has just occurred you'll be ok:)

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 17:20 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing the theory test how long do you have before you have to do the practical?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:22 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

two years, I believe

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was disqualified from one because of the switch on my rear brake sticking. he decided that it had to be totally roadworthy for the test. aerosol.
so i did a little burnout and pissed off at 50 in a 30 zone.

then i think he remembered me on the next test.

the moral of the story is, no matter angry you are over failing, and you will be angry all day, dont let the examiner see.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 19:06 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple answer, you need lessons. you need to know all the *proper* ways of doing things, its better if you pass first time i think
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 23:01 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike hire is the biggest bitch payment

so if you dont have your own bike to test on, you might as well get lessons aswell that include bike hire

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 00:29 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT, rode around on my TZR for 5months and was pretty sure I could just do my test without training. They said, let us give u a 1hr assessment before you make your decision.

I thought I was pretty safe rider and new what to do etc enough to pass the test. After the assessment he said that my lifesavers and stuff were all pretty well times, road position etc... But he said I really need to emphasise my lifesavers so theyre visible, emphasise my road position when turning right/left (u know, indicate, move to centre, lifesaver, look, nother lifesaver etc..). After a 3hr lesson later that week I felt MUCH more confident and passed with 1 minor, I definately know i'd have had a lot more minors without those 3hrs. Do it.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 01:07 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest mate, there are so many little things that they can catch you out on, and they WILL try to get you on something relatively minor. Take at least a couple lessons, if only to give yourself a fighting chance!

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much do lessons generally cost?
would it be possible to learn the basics in lessons as well? (would it be a bad idea to not buy a 125 and learn with lessons)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 09:23 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hour lessons = £30(inc bike hire)(average price same as car) DONT do your test on a 125 sports bike, turning circle is shite
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 09:33 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid quite a bit for my lessons, but theye were all day (lump sum up front then £30 per day lesson). I was riding 9 moths before i passed and was safe on the road so it matters shit about experience. You'll never ride like you do on the test but you need to please the examiner. You can't do this without lessons and if you do he doesn't deserve a job. I now remember my lifesavers and they have actually saved me from a whole lotta pain once or twice. get a free assessment at a few schools near by. See what each says.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 12:08 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo mate, if you're referring to a U-turn, you can do one on pretty much any bike. I did my test on the TZR, and I did a U-turn on a friends 636 the first time I rode it...I think maybe it'd be difficult on a Blackbird/Busa Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4