Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fazer 600 won't start.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:47 - 24 Jul 2007    Post subject: Fazer 600 won't start. Reply with quote

An odd one this and I haven't really had a chance to have a look at it. But posting in case there's something peculiar about Fazers.

My Girlfriend's Fazer 600 (2003) -

Ignition on, dash lights show OK but then go off after 3 seconds. Starter won't operate, can't even hear solenoid going. Repeat attempts - does the same thing. Doing so before / after lights going out makes no difference.
Adding jump leads makes no difference.
Kill switch is set to run Wink Wink.

She assured me that the fuel pump did prime first time on, before I came to have a look. Lights come on fine, other electrics work. Battery charger says battery is full. Haven't tried bump starting yet, leaving on trickle charge all day. There is no alarm / immobiliser.

Weird! Have to have a good look later, but thought I'd post to get some ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:56 - 24 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted in case anyone else looks it up. Checked the sidestand / clutch switches this evening - It was the clutch switch

I didn't realise they all show the idiot lights only briefly, And that doesn't half make you think something's seriously wrong when you see it for the first time. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Piers
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:32 - 20 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you did, BFG - this thread just saved my bacon. Before I read it I was on the point of trying to get access to the battery to charge it, and as far as I can see there's no way of doing that without dismantling the entire faring.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 12 years, 22 days between these two posts...

simoncottrell
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:24 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Sidestand/Clutch Switch issue Reply with quote

Hi - absolute novice here - when you mentioned that you checked the sidestand/clutch switch which solved the ignition problem (which I am suffering at the moment) what exactly did you do ? Did you replaced the clutch switch ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious way is to jump it out. Follow the wires to the connectors, separate and stick a jump in.

It will prove/eliminate that as a problem.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Sidestand/Clutch Switch issue Reply with quote

simoncottrell wrote:
Hi - absolute novice here - when you mentioned that you checked the sidestand/clutch switch which solved the ignition problem (which I am suffering at the moment) what exactly did you do ? Did you replaced the clutch switch ?

Given that he hasn't logged on for 9 years, you may have to wait a while for him to answer ...

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Sidestand/Clutch Switch issue Reply with quote

simoncottrell wrote:

One easy test is to disconnect the switch and bridge with a paperclip or something. If the bike now starts your switch is duff. Sometimes a squirt of electrical cleaner will fix it. Don't leave the switch bridged though - or if you do, don't complain if when you ride off with the sidestand down or start the engine with it in gear.

That said, I believe a Fazer should start with the clutch lever left alone if it is in neutral. Is the neutral switch OK (green light showing)? The clutch and sidestand switches only come into play when the bike is in gear.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1