Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A little help or tips on Spraying panels.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 16:25 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: A little help or tips on Spraying panels. Reply with quote

Its ok i need a new tank piece that fits over the tank covering it.
Ive managed to get hold of one but i need to change the colour of it.

And tips, stages that i should get.

ie. light rub down, prime, light rub down, several coats with paint, then laquar of??
it go something like that, but i not sure...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 16:27 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some wet and dry to prepare the surface...the a couple of coats of primer...then some more wet and dry...and a few layers of paint...then some more wet and dry...another couple of layers of paint...about 10 layers of laquer...then rubbing compound...

Disclaimer: I hold no responsibilty if my advice results in your fairings looking shit Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:29 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Plastikote, needs little prep.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 16:29 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, its ok. i have done my scoot b4 and that looked fine. nd its only a small part of the fairing.
Its just my bike well you can see in the avatar, and the part i have managed to come across is well, green.....so it kinda doesnt go.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:33 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Re: A little help or tips on Spraying panels. Reply with quote

Ask Viper.... she's done a pretty damn good job on my rear fairing (well it looked pretty good in it's half completed state.... I'm awaiting the finished product though)

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 16:33 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i will have to, and i will listen and take alot of notes when she's explaining.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:35 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro did a good job on the NSR. Just used Plastikote. Needed lacquer though

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 16:55 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebase 10l Matt white £5
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preparation is the key m8. Although this is the easy part. The hard part will come when trying to match the colour of the panels. Old bikes obviously have faded paintwork so you gotta be carefull when doing a small panal. This applies more when applying laquer on top coz if you aint carefull you'll end up with one really shiney panel and the rest faded. Embarassed

If it was me I would only apply a couple of coates of laquer, then rubbing compound and then a good t-cut (or similar). Leave at least 2 days before t-cutting!!! Laquer may seem to dry quickly, but it takes a couple of days to fully cure.

chunkielad
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:09 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sprayed loads of bikes and there is only one way to do it properly if you ain't gonna pay a professional sprayer.

Goto Halfords with a bit of your fairing which is the right colour and get them to make up a can of colour matched paint. (Other places may do it cheaper - I use a professional Trade paint supplier as I use a compressor and gun but you need a spray can)

Buy PLASTIC PRIMER, your colour (matched), a can of laquer, 600 Grit, 800 Grit and 1500 Grit wet and dry.

Sand the part with 600 Grit until flat level and NOT shiny. Then spray a LIGHT layer of PLASTIC primer. Wait until it dulls of, (usually only a minute or so if the coat is light enough) then spray a second coat and repeat process until the colour is solid and none of the underneath paint can be seen. Leave for 30-40 mins and then sand smooth with 800 Grit wet and dry. Spray first light coat of matched colour and build up using the same process as the primer.
Leave for 1 to setup and then spray laquer in layers (thin ones). and about 6-10 layers should be enough.

DO NOT SAND THE MATCHED PAINT ESPECIALLY IF IT IS METALLIC!!!

You'll find that unless you spray in a proper booth, you'll get 'bits' on the paint surface - dust etc , you remove this with 1500 grit wet and dry but only sand very lightly and with lots of water with a touch of FAIRY LIQUID in it. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LEFT THE LAQUER TO CURE FOR AT LEAST A WEEK!

After this you need to get a rubbing compound from the paint shop or Halfords but DO NOT use TCUT as it leaves a mist in the laquer.

Rub it hard and add a little water to it as you do so to prevent it drying while you work. Stop when it shines like a mirror.

Don't wax it for about a month as it'll lock in the fumes that need to be released while the Laquer properly cures up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:15 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Its just my bike well you can see in the avatar, and the part i have managed to come across is well, green.....so it kinda doesnt go.

Oi, watch it!!

My bikes the same colours 'cept I got green wheels, and they look ace!!!

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:04 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont trust halfords lids on spray cans, there totaly wrong, dont know where youll be able to get a cheap match though Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 20:06 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ever in Reading, there's this really cool place to get your fairings done...V-Machine Very Happy

Rolling Eyes

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 01:31 - 19 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the V-machine has FINALLY finished reconstructing/painting G's mashed-up-excuse-for-a-fairing tonight... so me is happy! Very Happy
...well...until he crashes again that is! Rolling Eyes

And on the "help or tips" subject....
Well, chunkielad summed it all pretty well i think. Cool

...Although i just have to add, that i have never sanded the area again after doing the priming coat. So i'm unsure to exactly how much a difference that makes to anything. Confused But i am no expert.

Surely if the primer is sprayed on evenly (without drips etc), is there a need to sand it again? Confused
The 'colour' paint should adhere to the primer pretty well as it is anyway. Confused

But hey! As i said, i'm no expert. Wink

Vx

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 19 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever seen paint flake off? This is caused by lack of sanding. After each layer it is advisable to prep the surface again with a very fine sheet of wet and dry. Paint adhears better to a smooth surface. It is possible to paint without proper preping, but paint flake can sometimes occur. Leave the bike out in the summer heat, the plastics change size and paint flake occurs.

chunkielad
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:07 - 19 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly DO NOT BUY HALFORDS NON MATCHED PAINT - they do a matched version now where they get the paint you take in (fairing) and match it - and if you sand a metallic paint before you laquer - it'll be patchy and end up not looking very nice at all - It messes up the flake pattern!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 19 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with chunkielad about the metalic paint being sanded down, but his bike aint metalic.

PostPosted: 13:53 - 19 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, it would look wired if it was i supose
You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 13:57 - 19 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to log in....DUH!!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1