Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclists & Bus lanes - bloody little hitlers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:40 - 24 Sep 2002    Post subject: Cyclists & Bus lanes - bloody little hitlers Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Cyclists fight bikes in bus lane plan

Cyclists have vowed to fight plans to let motorcyclists use bus lanes in London.

A two-year pilot scheme starts this month, which would see bikes use the lanes without penalty. If successful it will be a real breakthrough in opening up bus lanes throughout the country.

But representatives of the cycling community have already begun lobbying hard to get the scheme shelved, even before it gets of the ground.

Peter Lewis of the London Cycling Campaign said: " Bus lanes are a good place for people who cycle and having increased competition from a lot of motorcycles, which have the worst crash and casualty rates of any road user, is not a good idea. "

This is despite the results from a similar trial on the M4 motorway which has operated since July. The Highway Agency reported no major problems, and were quick to stress that the trial, which takes places on motorway approaches to London, would not automatically lead to changes in urban area.

Bus lanes on the A41 Finchley Road will be open to motorcycles this month, with the A13 East India Dock Road and A23 Brixton Road to follow by the end of the year.

This pisses me off, what gives the little tits the right to spout off like this? They pay no road tax, no insurance, ride slow as hell, never pay attention to red lights and generally make arses of themselves. IMO, pushbikes don't belong in buslanes. Period.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people riding them - I do it myself - but not in bloody bus lanes please. The average pushbike travels at around 10 mph, the whole idea of a bus lane is so that the bus can travel at a good pace even when the road itself is jammed. Trouble is when Mr Dopey Cyclist starts using it the bus no longer has a way to get past him and is forced to crawl along at whatever speed the cyclist is going.

Now motorbikes are fine. All bikes, even 50cc scooters and monkey bikes are perfectly capable of travelling faster than a bus, so we don't hold them up. We should be allowed to use all bus lanes and the cyclists should be chucked out. If I had a creme egg for every time I saw a cyclist holding up a bus and 10 taxis behind them or nearly causing an accident by jumping red lights at junctions... And they call us dangerous!

If the pavement's clear - cycle there. If there's space at the side of the road - cycle there. For god's sake stay out of the way of traffic, you're not a road user - just a pedestrian with wheels and you're too slow to be using the road.

Would you try driving a golf cart along the M4?

kevo
Cop Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 23:42 - 24 Sep 2002    Post subject: Cyclists out. Reply with quote

Here here, only those cyclists that can peddle to a speed of 50mph should be allowed to use the bus lane.

Regards,
Kevo.

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 23:50 - 24 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and buses shouldnt be allowed!! Laughing

And just why should cyclists object to motorcycles using the bus lanes anyway?
Quote:
Bus lanes are a good place for people who cycle and having increased competition from a lot of motorcycles, which have the worst crash and casualty rates of any road user, is not a good idea. "

If motorcycles were allowed to use the bus lanes, perhaps we could avoid more of the nuisance cars - which cause most bike accidents anyway.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 23:54 - 24 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't have said it better myself korn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 25 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is one bus lane in the whole of Telford, and thats about 100 yards long. Dont think it will ever affect me much!

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 00:41 - 25 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

finchley road bus lane open the bike i see

well what fuckin use is that, when it is clogged with parked cars 24/7 from where it starts, all the way to St. Johns Wood

buses are constantly in and out of it, it really takes the piss

just enough room for cyclists to use it, so they are the only benefactors, and yet, they bitch on, and on

i have a similar view for cyclists as i do for horses, the pavements are where they belong

nothing annoys me more, than being stuck on a dual carriage way by pass, designed to speed up the flow of traffic, when some old codge, who refuses to move with the times, decides to plod his horse drawn carriage down it

or when a convoy of 5 year olds on there horses decide to do the same, there are enough fields in this country, to give horses more than enough room to play, so why the fuck are they allowed on the roads, which brings me back to cyclists, modern roads are no place for cyclists, it gets more and more dangerous, pavements line every road within the M25, so wouldnt it make more sense to bung them on there, split the pavement in half, and have a cycle lane there

add to that, cyclists seem to think the highway code doesnt apply to them, and so how they think they have a leg to stand on to demand such crap as the above letter states, is quite beyond my comprehension

</rant>

sorry, but as you can tell this is something i feel very strongly about
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 09:48 - 25 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO if they're gonna get arsey Cyclists should have to have a licence too. They're using the ROAD after all. And I agree with stooey, we only have so many accidents due to nobhead cagers hitting us. Problem solved if we're allowed in bus lanes.
Cyclists have their own lanes through most town centre's now. More and more daily. So I don't see why they need to use bus lanes.
Also as korn said, no tax or insurance. They legally have no RIGHT to be on the road. We pay for that privelige.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 25 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round here the only cycle lanes are on the pavement. The pavements are quite wide and split into two (pedestrians/cyclists) and thats the way it should be.
I've seen the way cyclists ride in London...and I've seen sooooo many near-misses Shocked
....trouble is the pavements are always packed in the city with people, so I can understand why they use roads there. In the 'less' busy areas of London (and also if the pavement is clear) they should use the bloody pavement.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:42 - 25 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that cyclists should stick to cycle paths, were appropriate...but I really cringe when I see ppl cycle along busy A roads...Confused

RE: Riding on the pavement...isn't there some kind of law against that?...can't you get fined a few grand for cycling on a purely pedestrian carriageway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 11:06 - 25 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

From now on im going to ride along with a huge fuck off cattle prod... now there is an idea Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:48 - 26 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, cyclists are no saint. Want to really wind up a cycling busy body then point out that cyclists only manage to kill slightly less pedestrians per mile travelled than cars, but seriously injure substantially more pedestrians than cars.

As far as I am concerned they should have the same insurance and taxation rules as other road users. OK many are insured (on their house insurance), but none are taxed.

All the best

Keith

MikeyC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what really f*cks me off is when your travelling home thru the city after a hard days work, filtering through really bad traffic, in a way laughing at all the cars stuck in traffic while u drive in between them, then a cyclist decides he's as quick as a bike... he rides in between 2 lanes, holding every biker up, cyclists just manage to piss every1 off i think!!

tanner18
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:17 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

when buses overtake pushbikers and cut me up, thats when i get pissed off

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have many bus lanes locally near me, but I still think cyclists should pay road tax and be forced to have insurance. Motorcycles should be allowed to use the bus lanes. The government should realise this could help to reduce motorcycle accidents, caused by car drivers.

So basically, it's upto the government to decide.... We're all fucked then!! Rolling Eyes

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 10:27 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and what about some form of basic test that you *have* to pass in order to be allowed on Major/busy roads??. Most of the cyclists i see cant ride in a straight line which in my opinion is *very* dangerous.

tanner18
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:40 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Yeah and what about some form of basic test that you *have* to pass in order to be allowed on Major/busy roads??. Most of the cyclists i see cant ride in a straight line which in my opinion is *very* dangerous.

I agree aswell. They should have to do a theory test to give them some bloody road sense. Twisted Evil

tanner18
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:42 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a little training for cyclists is a bril idea, it should become law for cyclists to undergo some form of training.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:44 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

There still aren't any laws that govern the use of protective gear for cyclists, is there?...relatively fit cyclists average about 20-30mph, probably more on the open road, so even though they can keep up with mopeds, cyclists are not obliged to wear helmets or armour...so when they get mashed, they claim off the council/goverment/other insurance...Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 10:46 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my revenge this morning, two of the nitwits riding along the A316 filtering between lanes, all at about 5mph on account of it being an uphill slope. One of them even managed to scratch the sides of two cars - how I don't know seeing as I was managing to fit a pretty hefty bike through there.

Well after a while I was joined by a bloke on a fireblade, who wasn't happy at all. Finally we overtook them and buggered off. Next set of lights we're waiting patiently when the two of them catch up behind and one makes the mistake of telling the bloke on the blade to "move out the bloody way".

Obviously matey had had enough at that point, cos he smacked it into gear and proceeded to do a massive burnout right in front of this guy, it went on for about 10 seconds and when the smoke cleared all we saw was the two cyclists coughing like mad with the front one covered in little specs of black rubber. One of the cagers even clapped, despite getting loads of smoke in their car Cool

tanner18
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:52 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

madness i wish i was there. Laughing

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee Hee wish I was there to see that Laughing

Wasnt it you Korn that saw that cyclist rest his front wheel on the back of an R1's back wheel at some lights for balance, only to see the R1 shoot off and flip the cyclist? Laughing

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 11:06 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that was awesome too, always good to see the pompous gits get hurt Smile

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:42 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol! wicked Smile

revenge..
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 27 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin - I believe it is the law that cyclists using the road need to wear a helmet. It's not enforced though
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2