Engine swaps 101

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 13:50 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Ben you know how flush out a cooling system properly don't you mate?

Yes mate, After owning a highly tuned Speedfight 70, then an Old mini Cooper, It because a regular thing. Laughing

Dam_buster wrote:
bens a cowboy

Cowboy eh? Shall soon see about that once I try riding one of Natasha`s Horses when I go to Cyprus. I don't even know how to get on a horse.

If that was a dig, Then id stop right there tea boy. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 18:31 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Cowboy eh? Shall soon see about that once I try riding one of Natasha`s Horses when I go to Cyprus. I don't even know how to get on a horse.

Please oh please get a photo of that. I'll laugh for ever Very Happy

Laughing The old minis aren't that bad are they? I was thinking about buying one and lobbing two busa engines. One for the front wheels one for the back Twisted Evil Ultimate track weapon Razz

How's the bike coming Jim? Any more news?

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:03 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust you'd only need one busa engine in a mini!
omgz Shocked

yea shh with the tea boy:P not that anymore, got a new bitch at work Twisted Evil mwahaha

with the bike, sorted all leaks etc, just need to work on this noise now, sounds like tappets *cheers Ben* to me it sounds v. top end, but I'm gonna pull the sump off 2moz, and check the strainer to see if its blocked as the oil light comes on,
turns off when the bike is stood up, and flickers, so i think maybe there is a pressure problem due to the strainer.

will see tomorrow.

any other ideas?

have a listen.

the light goes out when i stand the bike up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

clickzor

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:09 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:

Please oh please get a photo of that. I'll laugh for ever Very Happy

Laughing The old minis aren't that bad are they? I was thinking about buying one and lobbing two busa engines. One for the front wheels one for the back Twisted Evil Ultimate track weapon Razz

How's the bike coming Jim? Any more news?

We shall see, If I cant do it I will just climb back off and do a sex wee in her face or something.

My old mini was a pain in the arse man! I had a tool kit in the boot with everything you need to change the engine completely if you have to! Laughing
The list of things I had to do to that car at the side of the road is endless.

9/10 time I was with a girl too, So the poor lass would be sat in the passenger seat on the PS2 or watching a film or something while I was under the bonnet either adjusting the timing (The distributor had a habit of rotating out of time no matter HOW tight it was done up).

Chasing my wheel down the A229 to fix it back onto the car, (Yes it did happen!)

Changing alternator, (yes, had to do this, No idea why, But when Id tidied up I chucked my spare alternator in the boot on the morning of the day my running alternators internal bearing went. Luckily I had a spare to change them over half way along the M2. Laughing

Top Rad pipe and full cooling system refill. Yes, The top hose split on 2 occasions of owning the minis I Had. Limped the car to halfords and bought a universal rad hose. Bought a pack of 6 2L bottles of Bottled water from Tescos and well, Filled my water system back up. This was on the hottest day of the year Chatham Town Center.

That car was hell, But great fun, and surprisingly nippy, Especially around the corners. You didn't even have to lift your foot off the throttle, let alone slow down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 09:48 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam_buster wrote:
trust you'd only need one busa engine in a mini!
omgz Shocked

Bah, nope. Two engines it is Twisted Evil

Thanks for the mini review (no pun intended!) Ben, i guess it'd have to make it a dedicated track machine and just not bother driving it on the road when it's standard!.

Had a crack at the top end yet Jim?

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:21 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

right after inspection, found that the inlet cam, just behind the cam chain wheel, its got some scoring on it?

could this be the cause, its not on the other engine.

looks about a mill deep. will get some pictures in a bit,

currently struggling to get the bottom pully off the old engine, to get the cam chain off and out the way to remove inlet cam.

jim

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:28 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very strange. Almost like something has dug into it from underneath and is slowly wearing it down.

Wonder how long it is before your camshaft snaps in half? Thinking Razz

Get the pics when you can mate, might help a little bit.

Might also be worth taking the cam off to see if you see anything underneath that could be scoring it? Just make sure you know to time it up again Wink

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:35 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks simple enough to time it back up, bottom pully lines up with case marks, and tops i will read up on:P

pictures.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Dam_buster/DSC00291.jpg

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Dam_buster/DSC00290.jpg

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Dam_buster/DSC00288.jpg

the camshaft held in hand is out of old engine to show that its not scored,

i think im gonna time the engine up now, get the cam chain and tensioner out, and pull the cams out, give them an inspection, take a look at whats underneath to see if anything is protruding and scoring my Inlet Cam.

JIM

any help big thanks

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:34 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

right well pulled the sump off to take a look to see if the strainer has been blocked.

aha surprise! NO STRAINER AT ALL!

the guy i bought the engine from assured me there was nothing wrong with this engine and is fine.

bloody well isn't

in the bottom of the sump was metal and what looked like copper? or brass

took the cams out and where the inlet cam is worn down, where it runs on is absolutely annihilated obv from the shiite at the bottom of the sump!

any ideas?

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been sold a lemon by the sounds of it.
The Cam runner (Or whatever it is called) is part of the Cylinder head is it not?

If thats the case then its a cylinder head off Jobby, To swap it with your decent cylinder head. Which means New Head gasket gasket.

Which means, You may as well of just done the head gasket on the old engine.

Get onto the bloke who sold you the engine and tell him, Not alot can be done now as it was sold as seen. But just let him know hes an ass hole.

<|ben|>

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:53 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea tell me bout it,

but well learnt alot through it all, and wont be scared to do it in future, and no that i should have gotten a receipt.

gotta find somewhere to take my old cylinder head to get it pressure checked,

might just drop the fucker out anyway, so i can do it all properly and not struggle.

kawasaki make mechanics.

ha!

jim

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 22:24 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
The Cam runner (Or whatever it is called) is part of the Cylinder head is it not

If thats the case then its a cylinder head off Jobby, To swap it with your decent cylinder head. Which means New Head gasket gasket.

That's a bit more scientific that what i refer to them as. Ahem. "The place when the cams slide onto the cylinder head" Laughing

But yes it's part of the cylinder head in which case i'd go with the option Ben's suggested.

And i agree. Call the guy who sold it to you an tell him he's a c**t.

Bet you're annoyed you didn't just buy a new head gasket now Wink

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:22 - 09 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea fooked off, but also glad.

cos now i have sussed cam chain. tensioners and guides, removing heads, and timing, and head gasket.

so not a problem ever again.

jim

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 11:55 - 09 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your signature says, Kawasaki make real mechanics Wink

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 11:57 - 09 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:

That's a bit more scientific that what i refer to them as. Ahem. "The place when the cams slide onto the cylinder head" Laughing

Cool Love it! Thumbs Up

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:57 - 09 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolz

just a picture to show the damage, and what it should look like.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Dam_buster/DSC00299.jpg

JIM

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 12:03 - 09 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch mate. Good luck with changing the head over now Thumbs Up

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem with engines is, when you buy one you have no idea what its had done to it at all, so its better to fix what you have. i hope you sort it out soon, try an keep a good mood whilst repairing or you'll just end up getun angry and damaging things. keep up the good work Thumbs Up

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:27 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

not phased really atm,

little dissapointed, but at the end of the day, what can i do, i have learnt alot about servicing bike engines so far with cam chains and tensioners. so i wont be phased in future!

can just do it all myself!

im stripping the bike to bare frame, and rebuilding, getting everything clean and sorted, so its ready for next year!

gonna get the frame powdercoated, and gonna talk to a mate about a paint job.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

am with you on that, i'm buyin a cg125 for the winter hack, gunna strip the fzr down to bare and get sumthings sorted on it, maybe head scimed and valves done, maybe some new ones? soft inlet valves on the fzr series Sad if i get a decent job i could get new pistons and rings in there for good measure.

like i said try not to get annoyed with it, you'll fix it in the end mate Thumbs Up

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers bro Thumbs Up just would have been nice to have some proper riding from it, im sure if i just get the old head skimmed and checked its straight whip a head gasket on and it will be fine, im sure of it,

if not, i'll just get myself a new bike, a old 600 of some sort Smile 2nd gixxer6 mebbe.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick with it, if your after flogging it, where abouts are you? wouldnt mind a zxr400 Very Happy

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:26 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. well i want to repair it first, i dislike "quitting" and selling things un-finished, done it in the past and dunno, just dis-like it.

gonna keep it over winter as my project, get the wheels done etc. get it all tarted, ride it and prob sell it once its all spick and span Very Happy

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel the exact same, i hate quiting and if i cant fix something i feel like i've failed, i couldnt do my fork seals as i needed a special tool, and took em to my fave mech, really pissed me off that did. i like fixing my bike theres just something about being able to fix it yourself that makes you feel good.

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:50 - 22 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes it more of a pleasure to ride when you build/fix it yourself.

there's always that bit in the back of your head saying, "did i tighten the wheel up" or "what if that goes wrong"

i built my 2nd car and it was a pure joy to drive, loved it, then sold it:(
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3