View previous topic : View next topic  

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 17:39 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Go -Karting Reply with quote

Any one ever been?

Any tips?

How to drive fast?

How to miss the barriers etc etc....

Hmmm I signed up for the motorsports union at Uni...thinking "Yea, loads of people with bikes!!" no.....they go karting. Should be a laugh though! YAY!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 17:43 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, keep to the racing line!!
and bump all the other riders, and yell obscene things at them so they spin off!
always works for me. untill i get flagged over anyway
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 17:44 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Go-Karting is fun, but be prepared for some sore hips and arms on the following morning Very Happy

Most karts are simply operated by 2 pedals: 1 accelerator, and 1 brake...again, it depends on the karts, but it's usually advised to take tight corners and apexes fairly easily and at a consistent speed, as the kart won't have the power to accelerate out of corners very well, and then step on it!

Also, sliding around corners/bends will totally kill your speed, so it's best to keep some traction...

It also depends on the track...

Last edited by TiN on 17:45 - 03 Oct 2002; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella

PostPosted: 17:45 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do the yelling obscenities!!

May need a little practice though...Wait....errr, maybe not!

Thanks for those lovely technical tips scotty!

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:14 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna, I have been karting a few times. When I first started I went with a group of 12 from my school, me and 11 mates. I got the 2nd fastest qualifying time, so was on the front of the grid Laughing Yay....

But then...

In the actual race, the lights went to green and I floored it... the rear wheels just span like fuck and the back end began to move slowly round to the right hand side, by this point I was in last position...

So don't floor it from the starting line, just a nice constant press on the pedal until the tyres are warmed up. I also found it easier if for the first 5-6 laps just keep to the racing line, and if anyone tries to get past you just drift over in their general direction and 'cut them up' so to speak.

Once the tyres are properly warmed up, it is amazing how well they grip to the tarmac. The karts I went in did approx 70mph give or take, and once used to the karts I could take most corners at about 3/4 throttle, which would equate to about 50ish mph... It also helps if, like on a bike, you lean with the kart when going round corners so that most of the weight is on the 2 inner most tyres... hope that makes sense...

And most importantly... HAVE A GOOD TIME!!! Laughing

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 18:15 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna when you go just give it as much as you can until you feel the kart about to spin out... when i went i found that because there so close to the ground people are often afraid to give it all they can when going round corners etc....

Oh and take no prisoners Wink Smile hehe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 18:19 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, last time i went was over cannock i think.
And the track was inside. but the tarmac had like a glaze on it
so it wasnt like normal go karting. It was like Go-rallying. But nether the less good fun!.

On the most thing is to have fun @ karting and get in peoples way, thats always fun, never let there ass's through.

If there behind go slow.
If there infront go fast! an ram them

Just pretend your a car driver..

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
ive been go-kartin a few times, the main thing is not to over-steer in corners as they slide like itches and the chances are like most pple youll spin it Smile

Have fun

Luke

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will never flip a kart because they are so low, so u can take corners as fast as the tyres will let you

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:45 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the time you start, keep the accelerator pinned to the floor

to turn ride the back brake to control your speed, this will also help you steer and if neccesary slide round the corner, this is the best way to maintain speed and acceleration through corners

this is the very thing they advise you not to do, cos it isnt good for the karts, but fuck it, its not your kart

and yes, karting is a LOT of fun Very Happy enjoy

[edit] but dont slide too much, cos as tin said, this eats up speed, but if you get it just right, then its the fastest way round
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 21:37 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out for noobs who cut you up
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:08 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

ann also try not to turn and brake as most of them only have front brakes.......and there rear wheel drive so braking+ turning= SPIN!! Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:34 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Enjoy yourself. As you are light you will have an advantage on acceleration, but probably less grip on corners (seems that way). Be fairly agressive and be ready to take advantage of any mistake the person in front makes

Also, think about wearing your bike jacket. It will pad you out a bit so you dont rattle round in the seat so much. Cuts down on the bruises in the morning

All thebest

Keith

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 03 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time you use the brakes is when the race has finished!! Laughing Dodd is right with the gravity thing, but the cart will just spin to a stop if you corner too fast. Just hold on tight and don't lift off the accelarator!! Rolling Eyes

Oh... and they don't have reverse so you should be ok.

/me waits to be poked sharply by anna.

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:05 - 04 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 3HR endurance £140 but worth it,,

and PADDING PADDING PADDING, also drive like
a NUTTER Laughing no cops

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 09:06 - 04 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been once, I sucked. I'll stick to bikes.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:27 - 04 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I went I spun as I was leaving the pits Embarassed
Dunno quite how I managed that tho!

I wanna go karting now Sad

Annabella

PostPosted: 12:42 - 04 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAAAARrrrrrrrrgh Information OVERLOAD!!

Excellent, I have some ideas now and won't look a complete twit when we go!! Laughing Thank you!!

I'll let you know how I get on Confused

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 15:41 - 04 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day, it's all about having fun (unless there's money at stake, in which case you should KILL! Twisted Evil <ahem>), especially if it's your first time...once you more confident, you can start to chuck yourself around the bends a bit more...

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 01:29 - 05 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

like mini moto eh tin Laughing
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:54 - 05 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

who won the mini moto... if there were ne races...?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:23 - 05 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was *a* race, but we weren't riding and some little kid on a much more powerfull bike won it (as you might expect)

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:26 - 05 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was a "kid" who won the race, it was a guy (called "jake" Confused ) on an R1-rep mini-moto...but there were a few kids whizzing around...I found it impossible to position myself properly to GMKD, which was disappointing, but hey Smile...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:35 - 05 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok... I wa spaying more attention to the crahes Very Happy

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:37 - 05 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...there didn't seem to be *that* many crashes after I left the track Rolling Eyes Razz...although there was one guy who almost caused a mass pile-up Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2