Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Baotian is basically just not working right

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Baotian is basically just not working right Reply with quote

For the last few trips out, while I've been pulling out of the driveway, my Baotian doesn't seem to be revving up as it should. I twist the throttle a good 50%-60%, then sit and wait a second or two before the thing revs up and moves off. I can't say I notice it when I'm out on the road at junctions etc., it seems to run fine after a little while... unless I'm just not paying attention. Is it simply a case of me not warming it up properly/for long enough? Confused

FYI, it's a 4 stroke 50cc Chinese scooter, almost new (a month in my possession from new), 475km on the clock. Rolling Eyes

Also, while I'm here, my front wheel is a bit squeaky. What do I do with that? Embarassed

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it also seems to be taking longer to reach 40mph than it did 100-200km ago. Confused
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500


Last edited by Mez on 23:19 - 07 Sep 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 01 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

er... you did run it in, right?
____________________
killa wrote: Im an ass man myself
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukamon wrote:
er... you did run it in, right?


I am still running it in. Confused
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:20 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 40mph?
____________________
killa wrote: Im an ass man myself
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Timmeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:12 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a blocked jet or other carb problem. I've seen a few boatians where the diaphrapm valve splits, resulting in reduced engine power.
____________________
GSXR400 x2 | '94 RVF400 | '93 TZR125 4DL (again)
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:20 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmeh wrote:
Could be a blocked jet or other carb problem. I've seen a few boatians where the diaphrapm valve splits, resulting in reduced engine power.


Ok, thanks very much. Is a blocked jet easy to check/rectify or shall I just play it safe and take it to the garage (stupid question right?Laughing)?
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:58 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Baotian is delaying revs Reply with quote

Mez wrote:
For the last few trips out, while I've been pulling out of the driveway, my Baotian doesn't seem to be revving up as it should. I twist the throttle a good 50%-60%, then sit and wait a second or two before the thing revs up and moves off. I can't say I notice it when I'm out on the road at junctions etc., it seems to run fine after a little while... unless I'm just not paying attention. Is it simply a case of me not warming it up properly/for long enough? Confused


The lil' monkey does this and can be quite entertaining at times.

When warm no problems at all.

When cold and trying to warm up different kettle of fish Rolling Eyes. The bike will start and turn over on the first push of the button. The revs are low (summer and no choke), the slightest twist of the wrist and the bike cuts out. Start again, again low revs, again cuts out when the throttle is opened.

Or

When the throttle is opened it splutters a little and then after a short pause the revs pick up albeit a little boggy in its response.

The warmer the engine the less this happens.

Its a pain in the ass having to sit there for 5 minutes or so, especially when you have to start from scratch if the bike has been left for 30-45 minutes.

If I try and ride the bike before all this foreplay has been carried out the bike just cuts out when the clutch is let out to pull away. If however the bike allows enough revs for the bike to pull away the ride is a little ropey with either too little or too many revs.

The number of times I have been at the 1st or second junction waiting to turn, blipping the revs to try and warm the air cooled single cylinder and gone to pull away and the revs have died leaving me stranded in the middle of the road, with the right hand yanking hard on the bars, all of a sudden huge revs, front wheel at an angle and an uncontrollable wheelie from the junction in front of the up and coming cars Laughing. Frank Spencer eat your heart out.

I've often wondered if it was something wrong with the carbs or fuelling to be honest but been to bone idle to worry, as said its a hioney once warm.

Mez wrote:
lukamon wrote:

er... you did run it in, right?


I am still running it in.


I read the little workshop manual when I unpacked the beast from its crate last December and thought 'sod that'. I now that you are supposed to break an engine in gently and try to minimise harsh acceleration and prolonged periods of speed, but....when the top speed is around 50mph tops, I am not riding for the 1st few hundred miles at 20 odd!

The bike has been caned to an inch of its life so far and its still ticking and looking after me even if I'm not looking after it.

Ride and enjoy! Just take your time before setting of Wink
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I briefly owned a chinese scooter it did a similar thing. Turned out that the crank seal between the engine and transmission was knackered, letting oil into the transmission and onto the clutch and drivebelt.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated. Smile

I actually got round to having a look at it just now after having some hideous experiences this week on my way to/from college.

First thing I did was open the air filter box and check the element. Took it out, and there was a bit of oil in there. Confused I looked around the other side and took the dipstick out... the oil level was right at the top! Shocked

It had it's first service two Mondays ago and I was told 'You'll probably need to top it up when you get home', and given the remains of a litre-bottle of oil that was freshly opened for the oil change. I took the scenic route back home and once got there, checked the oil level. There was barely any on the dipstick so I put what was left in the bottle in bit by bit, checking every time. I checked again after emptying the bottle and the oil was about half way between min and max marks. I haven't checked since, until today where it was ridiculously high.

Anyway, I've siphoned a bit out and got it to a sensible level. I'm gonna wait until rush hour is over before I take it out for a spin. Could this be what caused the reduced engine power? Rolling Eyes
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

not usually... too high oil level can cause high crankcase pressure which might have blown a gasket...
____________________
killa wrote: Im an ass man myself
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: More fucking problems Reply with quote

Ok thanks lukamon, I'll look into it.

Been and took it out about 8pm while the sun was starting to set.

Went out with low beams on, had the usual crap trying to get out of the driveway (no revs), got flashed by a few people, got home, lights weren't on any more. Checked high beams, they worked, checked side lights, they didn't work, checked low beams again, they didn't work. Turned ignition off and wheeled it into yard, got on it, turned alarm back off (FYI the alarm comes on automatically after turning ignition off), turned key (I wanted to check the lights again), was just about to press electric start when the fuel gauge went dead. Turned ignition off and back on, kaput. Pressed alarm several times, tried allsorts of stuff and nothing happened. Checked fuse, it had blown, replaced it with spare, went through starting process again, didn't work again. Checked fuse, that had gone too.

So what the hell is going on? I've heard about power surges and such, but what causes them? Could this be what it is? If so, why didn't the lights work on low beam/side lights? FYI the original fuse also blew after about a week of me getting it brand new (about a month ago). Is it just a poor build or what?

It's under warranty so I think I'll get in touch with the garage next week.
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 2.86 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 77.02 Kb