Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Issue with getting into gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 20 Sep 2007    Post subject: Issue with getting into gear Reply with quote

I've been struggling to get my 1989 CG125 working for a couple of days and yesterday had a look at the spark plug.

It was sooty black which suggests that the mixture is too rich I think. I still thought it might be a flooded engine, so I just went and gave it some really good kicks on the kickstart and it started giving some sounds of life.

Gave it some more and played with the choke a little with a bit of throttle and sure enough it fired up. As soon as I released the throttle it just died again though.

So I turned the choke off and tried again. It seemed to want to start, but only by giving it some throttle did it actually start to tick over.
I also had to give it a few revs for a bit till it would idle normally with the throttle closed. (If I just released the throttle straight away it would just slow down to a stop)

Anyhow - I got it idling after a bit and tried going into first. Clutch lever in, throttle released, knock into first and slowly release the clutch and engage the throttle like normal, but it just stalled (Didn't even feel like a normal stall. There was no sudden jerk or anything).


I'm guessing this is a fuel issue, but I'm also worried that I may have damaged something in the engine and the grunt has been lost. If I put my finger over the spark plug hole, it gets thrown off with the force (then sucked back in again as the piston goes down?) and I can hear puffs of air coming out of the exhaust when I use the kickstart.

Also - The breather pipe. I'm not sure as I pushed it over some rough ground, but I have what I think is the breather pipe (i.e. quite a thick pipe coming out of the top-back of the crankcase), but it just goes down and then the other end is just open and hanging down towards the floor? Has this been ripped away from anything when I was pushing it?
Also, next to that are 2 thinner tubes - that are just dangling open. This REALLY worries me as I think they might be oil pipes, but I have no idea and I can't fully tell where they're coming from in the dark. (I'll try and get pics uploaded when I get home from work!)


I'm going to replace the oil, change the spark plug and look at the air filter before I do anything else, but I'm worried about my gear box / engine / clutch.
Can anyone try to diagnose the problem with what I've said above? I know its been a stupidly long post for what it is, but I'm just a tad worried right now Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.24 Sec - Server Load: 4.04 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 29.23 Kb