Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BCF Newsletter - technicalities

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: BCF Newsletter - technicalities Reply with quote

Just to keep this seperate from the 'content' discussion...

How about the technicalities - is one person going to collate, edit and send out the newsletter, or would a moderated digest style mailing list be a better plan of action do you think?

One person usually results in a nicer end product, but it can put a lot of pressure on that one to keep turning them out on schedule.

Thoughts?

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 20:48 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could have a rota system...one person can be "editor" for one week/month, and then change over for the next week/month...this will add some variety to the content of the newsletter...although we should establish a "standard" layout etc...

We could probably have a team of moderators to pass judgement on the newsletter before it gets sent out...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:51 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice idea... tho in a way, wouldn't letting that week/fortnight/month's editor determine their own layout and stylee be half the fun?

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 20:51 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

i agree, letters that come in need to be filtered otherwise it will become "clutered"

i.e 10-20 people trying to enter write ups on nsr's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 20:53 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did think of that, EB, but we do need some guidelines, lest some overcreativity leads to chaos Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:56 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Re: BCF Newsletter - technicalities Reply with quote

Ideally I'd have said something like: have a group of people that say have two 'meetings' before the newsletter is released... the first to assign tasks etc then the second to check everyone's done everything and assigning the final 'collating' etc. ....

Whether we could actually make it work or not is another matter Confused
This would mean however that if a coupla people weren't available for any reason or were to busy etc it wouldn't matter so much.

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering none of us really have the time to make a whopping great super-fantastic newsletter, in a different format each week/month (another thing that needs to be decided), we should use a standard layout. It would only need doing once, then whover is in charge next time simply slots in news/reviews etc and saves a load of time Smile Its also more proffesional keeping a similar look each issue

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:59 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

as dodd said... though tin probably does have the time to do all that work Very Happy

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:01 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think that the writer each month should be satisfied by having an "editorial" bit where they can rant on about their stuff, and keep to a standard template for everything else...

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:01 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
as dodd said... though tin probably does have the time to do all that work Very Happy

OI! Very Happy

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:02 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spose. I just spend all day being professional Confused

On frequency - I think fortnightly is a good compromise to start with, upping to weekly if it takes off and dropping to monthly if there really isnt the content.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:03 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it's probably not needed at the moment we might want to consider a proper 'editorial' team at some point... ie people that actually *edit* what others have submitted.
Allthough it would annoy the people who submitted stuff, if you get decent editors it does lead to a better presented more professional looking piece.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:04 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

thats is,
this thing is gunna munch large amounts of time.

set up a E-mail account for the thing and have people sent potential articals to it, to make it easy for the "Editors" to decide what goes in and what doesnt.

summin like "BCFnewsletter-admin@hotmail.com"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:05 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

There *definately* needs some editing/moderation of submitted articles...<snip>

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:06 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo to editing. People shouldn't really have a problem with it if it's made clear from the outset - it's the difference between them posting their contribution on the board and submitting it to the 'mag'.

And same on the editorial team - it really does need some marking out of who's responsible for things otherwise it'll all degenerate into 'i thought he was doing it' Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
I spose. I just spend all day being professional Confused

On frequency - I think fortnightly is a good compromise to start with, upping to weekly if it takes off and dropping to monthly if there really isnt the content.

just what I was thinking

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:08 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

yep...
your gunna need to make jobs though...but also some kind od "assistant" incase the "Editor" is to busy...or on holiday etc etc etc

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a team of editors is better than a single person. People are gonna get flamed if they cut out 2 paragraphs of someones review, and accused of being unfair. If 5 people agreed it was shite and needed doing, they are not gonna get stick for it

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:11 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

well they still might get stick....
but 5 people shouldnt be seen as being unfair.... like if everything is put down to a vote. then whats final is final, the person who wrote the articul will not know who individualy said "thats shite binit"

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:13 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we should start making a list of volunteers...

...is it safe to say that "we" know who will be suitable? Wink

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:15 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

me looks at people posting above Rolling Eyes

plus i can think of a few more Smile

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:15 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy - wherever we post asking ppl to submit content, we make it clear that it WILL be edited, and may not be included if it's shite. Did I say shite? I meant 'if there isn't space'.

If they've got a problem with that, they shouldn't be submitting it.

Oh, and we never say who edited anyone's copy, so they don't know who to nark at. Or say it was me, cos I don't care if they nark at me, I'm used to it Laughing

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

ok every thing is now officially Bendys fault

me submits that to the disclaimer lol

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
Yeah, we should start making a list of volunteers...

/me raises hand

I will help in any way I can Smile

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:20 - 15 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't see why there's any issue concerning editing?...as long as we're not discriminating against opinions, I don't see the problem...we just need to ensure that the language is appropriate etc...and going by some of the posts, I think that some spelling and grammar mods need to be made Razz Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2