BCF: Bike Chat Forums

OK - Content!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:09 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: OK - Content! Reply with quote

Hows about we list the articles / features that *we* are up for writing - after all, issue one will probably be mostly our content, and that'll help inspire other ppl to write for issue two.

I've just ordered some Oxford Muffs, so I'll do a review of them when they arrive. Nicely winter-topical.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 10:15 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike meets,
New Bikes,
Damages section..
Stunt tips.
Maintence.
list is pretty endless i supose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:31 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but what are *you* gonna write Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:32 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various clothing... crash tested Dianese and a material suit, gloves, helmet, boots etc.

Bikes (any I've owned)

'FAQs'
Various stunty type things
'Crash repair' Smile

Getting insurance?

[edit]:might be best if we get a list of stuff first, ie so we don't get 20 reviews of new NSR125s Smile

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we shoudl have a topic for each review. This saves ppl writing and editing reviews for everything.
Try "Winter Gear" for the 1st one.
Including Gloves, thermals, textile suits etc.??

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:40 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, at least for the first one - a 'Winter Special'.

Reviews of winter gear
Tips and tricks for not freezing your nuts off / killing yourself in the rain
How to store your bike over the winter if you're a fair weather pussy...

I must say tho (and I think it was mentioned earlier) people will write about what they want to write about - the 'editorial team' can be forced about a bit more but if we're looking for submissions from the readers, I doubt we'll be able to guide them too much - if 20 people want to write about their NSR they will and no amount of persuasion will make them write about their trousers instead. My 2p.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 10:43 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they can write about what they like. But I'm sure most ppl won't waste their time if they know it's not gonna be published. Each fortnight we need to know the subject of the next and ask for the reviews we're after

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, yeah, but how many of us here actually have proper experience of winter riding?

Don't get me wrong, 'tis a good idea, but as Bendy has pointed out, we need realistic articles...

And how about we setup some sort of "newsletter sign up" jobby first?...there's no point in creating a spangly newsletter, and only send to the ppl that have contributed!...and we can't really spam everyone who's registered (can we?)

I reckon that the first newsletter should just be a sort of taster...it should explain what the newsletter aims to be, and what ppl can expect to get from it...we'll have a few articles in it, of course, but I don't think that we need to stress too much about the consumer content just yet...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:54 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can also keep reviews 'stored' until they're needed, though it's not much incentive to write them if they're not gonna be used for a few months.

It might be worth having a 'main feature' with a few other bits.
We could consider having, regular section, ie a bike review every issue, a different faq each time etc.

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
And how about we setup some sort of "newsletter sign up" jobby first

I've already offered to do this in the form of two webpages. One subscribe page and one unsubscribe page. Just enter your e-mail and it gets added or deleted from the dayabase. Simple.... Rolling Eyes

Just let me know!!!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:07 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could allways do a one-time spam of everyone that has registered with their email address, if Korn doesn't mind... then people can choose to sign up for more issues if they want.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:09 - 16 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good few of us have winter riding experience.
We need to keep the thing regular as G said.
Main topic
Product Topic
Bike review etc.

That way ppl will write when they feel that they'll be contributing.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:18 - 19 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there seem to be quite a lot of threads about this, so i might as well reply in this one Smile

- Is it going to be a website which has a newsletter with "highlights" or such in it, or a newsletter which is then archived onto a webpage.

- Whats it going to be called? likewise with the domain name

- If it is going to be a webpage, and then a newsletter sent out, why not use post/php nuke? I see no point in spending ages making a sql powered CMS when there are perfectly good ones around.

- I assume the newsletter will be in the form of an email/ text, not as a JPEG or a PDF?

- Does it matter if 20 people all submit reviews of the same bike? I would never trust one persons opinion on its own.

How about a new forum for this?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Is it going to be a website which has a newsletter with "highlights" or such in it, or a newsletter which is then archived onto a webpage.

Starting as the latter, devolping into the former is the idea.

Quote:
- Whats it going to be called? likewise with the domain name

It'll just be the BCF newsletter, or whatever to start with, I believe tin said he had an appropriate domain... if not there's plenty of people here that

Quote:
- If it is going to be a webpage, and then a newsletter sent out, why not use post/php nuke? I see no point in spending ages making a sql powered CMS when there are perfectly good ones around.

Seeing as it's a newletter.. [IMHO] I'd like to have something that we can do with exactly as we want... and this way it will be entirley individual.

Quote:
- I assume the newsletter will be in the form of an email/ text, not as a JPEG or a PDF?

Yes, we have allready had teh discusion about pdf being evil Very Happy

Quote:
- Does it matter if 20 people all submit reviews of the same bike? I would never trust one persons opinion on its own.

We would probably have to have a 'group' test. Sorry, but I think people would get bored if ever issue there was a review of a NSR125 Very Happy

Quote:
How about a new forum for this?

This *is* the new forum! (okay not quite, but this means it can be seen by everyone)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:05 - 19 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean, if you go to say www.bikemagic.com and look in thier reviews section, there are loads of reviews for each product.

Just because a review is submitted, doesnt meant that it has to go in the newsletter...

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 10:31 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a lookskis for a domain, i came up with this bunch (feel free to take the piss out of any of em) Very Happy

bcfnews.com, bcf-news.com, motorbike-news.com, uk-rider.com, bikeupdate.com

oh and one for g Wink minibikeinformation.com Very Happy

i dunno, anyone wanna add any? Smile

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 10:44 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a .co.uk be a little cheaper for a bit?
I like the "bcfnews" though.

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 12:19 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

coms are more universal though.... what do you normally type when randomly hunting for a website? i usually try .com first then .co.uk, you cant complain at the price either i rekon, easyspace.com are doing them for 15 a year (+ 5 for dns transfer, only payable once), i dont mind chipping in for that... anyone, go 4 ways or something? g.. buy me a double vodka for ur part? Very Happy hehehe

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:23 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend too much time on the net. I check for .co.uk's 1st as they're generally more accurate than .com's. But I'm used to looking for part codes etc which change between countries.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:28 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 8 'domain years' sitting around doing nowt.... (I think it comes to about £16 for two years all in.. .though when I got then it was a bit cheaper maybe Confused)
So I don't mind using a couple to do it... I doubt I'll ever get round to using them anyway Sad.

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 12:51 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

well how about we get both? that way we get the best of both worlds Very Happy im quite happy to pay for the co.uk myself as it is only 5 quid Smile then g you sort out the .com ?? just redirect the co.uk to com or vice versa?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:02 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, might as well Smile

www.ukreg.com do .co.uk for £2.95 and don't charge for dns transfer btw (that's where I've got 'credits' with Smile )

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 14:15 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

okies, co.uk done Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:48 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

err.. was that 'bcfnews' you registered?

I haven't got the account details here... but I'll do it when I get home.

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah bcfnews.co.uk ... although i had korn saying to me what we should have used bikechatforums.com Smile no harm in having the domains too though, we should all chat bout it later and see what is going on... and how its gonna work. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2