Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


going retarded, can't spell for f*ck...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Deckx
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: going retarded, can't spell for f*ck... Reply with quote

Due to job change 6 months ago , spend a lot of time on the computer, need to write a lot of bullshit emails and reports..
Anyway can't believe how bad my spelling is, sometimes its so fucked up "spellcheck" doesn't even know what the f*ck i'm trying to say.... Confused definately think my brain is slowly going numb the older i get ..

thou one could trick i have learned is when i'm writing something, i right click and hit "sunonyms" and replace the word with something that sounds more intelligent... hopefully passing that impression on to the reader Very Happy

anybody else think their brain is slowing down as they get older, (i'm 33 )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:27 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I feel the same, but if a different situation: buttons. I mean like TV remote buttons, like I've had for years and know where they all are but when I want to do something like 'Program Guide' I have to stop, look at the remote for what seems like a fucking WEEK then pick one button to slowly prod. Like a giffer!!

And my mobile phone. Jeesus, all I wanted to do the other day was edit a contact and I kept pressing totally the wrong button.

And for the record, I'm an IT Engineer so it's not like I could be a technophobe. Just going nuts I reckon.

Now pass me my bifocals so I can 'Preview' or 'Submit' this.....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also 33 and get slagged off for not being able to work my phone/dvd player etc etc etc. The thing is, these young whippersnapper types think its because I'm old and unable when in fact i'm old and perfectly able, I just can't be arsed.

My spelling is still on average better than most young folk, (check out the way they text for example.) While I'm quite happy to help them out with it I'm also content to be labelled a dozzy old git if it means I don't have to fiddle around with some daft thing that has buttons like pinheads when I have fingers like sausages.

One thing bugging me right now is Digital TV boxes, I can work them, but they're just so crap. The remote controls are tiny, you need to have kid's fingers to press the buttons: Can Fisherprice not bring one out? Thumbs Up

That is all. Laughing
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my exams in June I've hardly used a pen at all, I haven't needed to. Now I'm at uni I can hardly use a pen.. well to be fair my hand writing has always been terrible and I've never been very good at writing anyway, but I've gotten worse.

Also my spelling has totally gone to hell, I think when you stop doing things over and over you lose the ability to do them at all.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For spelling...read books, lots of em. Worked for me when I was slipping from not being in education for a while.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stezzer
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar story re the spelling...when you have not had to write anything for years its amazing how rusty you get. Anyway, I cured my bad spelling [to a large extent] by not relying on spellcheckers. My spelling wasn't improving with spellcheckers...what worked was this; create a word document and save it on your desktop. call it 'spell' or something...then everytime you come across a word that you have spelled wrongly, look up the correct spelling [dictionary.com etc] and add the word to this word document. If you divide the document into half a dozen columns you can get hundreds of words on one page. Every now and again 'select all' and order them a~z.

What you end up with over time is all the words that you can't spell all in one place...all spelled correctly. This sheet becomes your dictionary. Over a few months of doing this you will find that you can spell all of your previously commonly mis-spelled words.

It worked for me anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise your brain by reading alot more and I don't mean BCF which sometimes has terrible spelling.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately read more early horror and science fiction books Smile sort of 1870's to victorian era. Some interesting new words I've learned are "miasmic", "adoxography" and "jentacular".
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Deckx
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
Since my exams in June I've hardly used a pen at all, I haven't needed to. Now I'm at uni I can hardly use a pen.. well to be fair my hand writing has always been terrible and I've never been very good at writing anyway, but I've gotten worse.
.


Actually writing something with a pen is another story, i write in block capitals but even that comes out as a illegible scrawl where sometimes i even struggle to read it myself.. its actually almost embarrassing if I got to write an address on an envelope. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 19 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckx wrote:
ncrn wrote:
Since my exams in June I've hardly used a pen at all, I haven't needed to. Now I'm at uni I can hardly use a pen.. well to be fair my hand writing has always been terrible and I've never been very good at writing anyway, but I've gotten worse.
.


Actually writing something with a pen is another story, i write in block capitals but even that comes out as a illegible scrawl where sometimes i even struggle to read it myself.. its actually almost embarrassing if I got to write an address on an envelope. Sad


I write in block capitals too, my joined up writing is indecipherable, I think because I haven't done it in years. The point about reading is true, plus, you learn lots of new big words that you can slip in to conversations making people think you're clever. (Which I'm definitely not Rolling Eyes )

Good words learned recently: Susurration and Tumescence... Wink
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 69.03 Kb