Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

REVIEWS: Your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 24 Oct 2007    Post subject: REVIEWS: Your bike Reply with quote

Well if people keep asking for a review section, then lets have some bike reviews Wink

Kawasaki ZX7-R

https://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C09%5C14%5Cbikepics-1023467-320.jpg

Arrow 748cc
Arrow 123bhp
Arrow Inline 4 (6 gears)
Arrow 165mph top speed
Arrow 11.2 second 1/4 mile
Arrow Insurance 16
Arrow 35mpg

Engine
Quote:
Kawasaki ZX-7R's liquid-cooled inline four is pretty unremarkable but a genuine 110bhp at the rear wheel means it’s still a rapid motorcycle.

Yes it may be 10 years old and yes it may be whipped by the newer bread of 600's, but just like any sporting hero, give them half a chance and they'd show you a thing or two.

I may be a novice in biking terms and certainly nowhere able to push the bike to the max, but its more than enough bike to get yourself into some trouble if not careful, yet it has the road poise and handling to get you out just as easy.

The inline 4 sounds fantastic when you send the revs towards the red line but is quiet as a mouse when pootling around town making a neighbour friendly bike.

The way the 7R delivers the power is gradual and even making acceleration a breeze with no sudden surprises that will send you over the rear wheel.

With 2 huge air intakes making the 7R quite a recognizable bike, which I feel are its finiest feature albeit making it look like a wide mouthed frog, you can hear the air being sucked into the carbs just wanting a nice turn of the right hand and making the sweet noise of happy engine.

Ride and handling
Quote:
The Kawasaki ZX-7R is very heavy compared to its rivals, but it's stable and works nicely on the road.

I loved the ZXR, but the 7R is a different bread. The bike IS planted in the corners and has the weight to wrestle with to make you part of the riding experience.

The front end is very precise and you get a huge amount of feedback through the bars, but not to the extent of a bumpy ride as the USD forks cushion and make the bike glide over even the biggest pot hole.

The bike has come with some very grippy tyres and this encourages you to push your boundaries and boosts your confidence in the abilities of the bike.

The bike does weigh the same as the English front row, so dropping it will be a mistake, but when at slow speed its steady as a rock and at speed is a very nimble bike. All in all it makes it a relatively easy to filter on.

The ass in the air extreme riding position is a strain on the wrists and arms, but soon goes. The seat is quite comfy bearing in mind the thickness of it and I have yet to have a numb bum. A road trip will be the only way to test this to the max, but so far no hemorrhoids.

Equipment
Quote:
No frills anywhere on the Kawasaki ZX-7R.

Standard clocks, no fuel gauge, no immobiliser / alarm as standard and even the small under seat storage is small. If you wanted practicality then get a car Laughing

Quality and Reliability
Quote:
Reliability is good – you’re not likely to get stuck at the side of the road with a stationary Kawasaki ZX-7R.

I'm sure that Wave will have an opinion on this and with the issues that I had with the ZXR and the small ones with the 7R so far, he is probably right Laughing

Not looking forward to winter with the potential for carb icing and the like especially if the small starting problem continues Rolling Eyes

As said, the bike is 10 years old and I know that the various pieces have been changed since the write off, it looks pretty damn good. I have yet to spot any areas of rust or corrosion. The plastic body parts are thick and feel solid with no cracks.

With a huge fuel tank covering the carbs, the plugs being quite an awkward position, an oil filter thats snug against the pipes....its not as mechanic friendly as a naked bike for example, but getting your hand dirty and scraping a few knuckles is all a learning curve right?

Being a jap bike parts are a doddle to get hold of and relatively cheap.

Value for money
Quote:
A mixed bag

I payed £1600 for my 1998 P3 7R, it is in fantastic condition with some nice little modifications that the previous owner had applied all for making the bike handle and ride better. Its a lot of money in the grand scheme of things being a previous Cat C write off, but cheap on the thrill factor.

Excellent grippy Corsa III's, Harris rear sets and matching yokes, a full Akropovic system and some little body mods, it more than sways the £ balance.

I get thrills every time I open the garage door and stare at the sweet ass raised high in the air, move round to the side and realise just how 'phat' the bike is as the left leg gets thrown over the comfy as heck seat. Back aches a little as the hands grip the bars, but as soon as the key is turned and the bike roars into life, its nirvana.

Verdict

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 05 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be posting one up soon about a '99 zx6r, restricted and derestricted Smile

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 15:44 - 05 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki GSX-R 600

https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/149/20075c085c275cbikepics1sl8.jpg

More pics here.

Stats

Arrow 599cc
Arrow 103.9bhp (stock dynochart to proove)
Arrow Inline 4 (6 gears)
Arrow 164mph (gps actual)
Arrow 11.15 secs 1/4mile
Arrow Insurance 15
Arrow 28mpg

Modifications:

Arrow Dynojet Power Commander III
Arrow K&N Air Filter.
Arrow Yoshimura TRS carbon fibre can.

Engine

Quote:
What it lost in ultimate top-end power the Suzuki GSX-R600 gained in usable mid-range grunt (for a 600), ably assisted by its anaemic all-up weight.

Although it is the weakest of that year for 600cc bikes power wise, hell even the CBR600rr made 3bhp more stock, it had the better midrange.

And it can hand the ass to any 6 of the time apart from the zx6r which cheated with its extra 36cc which gives the 6r the extra top end grunt. Even though, the k5 will still keep up.

The best sound I have ever heard from a bike is the Gixxer's trademark voracious intake growl. Its always there even with the yoshi on mine in full battle cry you can still here the roar of the intake.

Since I have fitted the PCIII and the K&N and least we forget the sexual Yoshimura TRS Carbon Fibre can. The bike is a new monster, it feels quicker off the mark and has a much sharper throttle responce. It will now lift in second off the throttle as well, something it didn't like to do with the stock can.

No trouble wheeling this bike either.

And I just love the sound.

Gixxer's love abuse and so does this one Mr. Green

Ride and handling

Quote:
Take a new CBR600RR, ZX-6R, R6 and a Daytona 675, the old K4/K5 Suzuki GSX-R600 would run them all very close on the road and track. They’re so close it’s the rider that’s going to make the difference

One things Suzuki have always excelled in with the GSX-R series, is the awesome stock set up.

Hell if you look at the test track they used it isn't a perfectly smoothed race track. It has its flaws just like a real road. Which is why out of the crate the GSX-R is easy to get on and go for a hard ride on your favorite stretch of road.

It just feels neutral and you just feel at one with it. Toss it into a corner and it complies no problem. Brakes are also more than good enough.

A lot of people say the position is to extreme for long distances, but its a lie. The seat is soft and the bike loves the miles. Just the rider has to be hard to do the miles Laughing

Equipment
Quote:

The Suzuki GSX-R600 is a thinly veiled race bike, so all you get for your money are the bare essentials to make it as fast and handle well as possible, oh and just about legal.

It's a sportsbike. Bare essentials it is then, clocks and no under seat storage not helped by the pcIII box either Laughing

Quality and Reliability

Quote:
Mechanically Suzuki GSX-R600s can take all the abuse you can through at them, so even if they’ve had a hard life, they’re still a good buy provided they’ve been serviced and looked after properly.

It's a suzuki, bullet proof engines but the paint is crap.

The engine is a solid point, as stated earlier they love abuse, you just have to look after the paint.

Servicing the bike is easy enough. Only complaint is the side panels are all one piece, when with the other bikes I have owned the belly pan is separate cause it just saves time as trying to maneuver the big panel into position is no fun.

No rust on mine, or even on my 96 RF600r so it's just a case of look after your bike.

Value for Money

Quote:
Suzuki GSX-R600s can take all the abuse you can through at them

Brought her new for $8,500 Laughing Crying or Very sad Mind you seeing as this is NC it's still worth $7,000 Laughing Gotta love America.

Servicing is also cheap if you take it to a dealer.

As always it gets expensive owning a bike occasionally with the tyres and the gear.

Verdict

Quote:
Om nom nom nom

She's my baby. I love the bike down to that annoying whiny noise when you first turn the ignition on. I just love it.

Just staring at the bike does it for me, not the sexiest but it just looks right. The black and silver set it apart from all the blue and white GSX-R's out there.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:33 - 05 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just writing mine now

*Killa is embaressed of BCF for not having a review section*

Get a clue Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 17:12 - 05 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/Kwak2-1.jpg

2001 Kawasaki ZX-7R Ninja

Arrow 748cc
Arrow 122 BHP
Arrow Inline 4 (6 gears)
Arrow Top speed 164 mph (licked 155 once Wink )
Arrow MPG – who cares
Arrow ¼ mile – 11.2 sec @ 120mph

Engine

Slated for not producing an enough power over the weight of this old skool design I was concerned at first that I may have bought the wrong bike. The GSXR750 was suggested as an alternative to this as a 750 sports, but after reading the specs of each I could see why.
When you actually experience the 7R for yourself on the road all doubts disappear as do the uneasy weekend warriors on the super light and twitchy modern machines.
I have found compared to other machines of a similar capacity that the 7R’s mid range is not as apparent when using higher gears at slower speeds, the GSXR750 is a good example of this. The 7R really needs to be ‘used’ to get the power out of the huge rev range, and I really don’t mind this, it doesn’t strain the engine and certainly gives you response you want when above 4 grand.
I like the power delivery to be smooth when coming on and off the throttle and the 7R’s carb set up allows you to adjust to your situations, the gearing certainly isn’t set up for town riding, but then when you buy a bike like this what can you expect.

This is the bike that produces an iconic hooligan sound to motorcycle enthusiasts, the sort of sound that has old people shaking their heads when they hear it screaming down the near by duel carriageway and the sort of burbling sound that keeps you up at night when its ticking over outside your home.

Ride and Handling

Again something I was concerned about when I first purchased the bike, I came from riding a Honda VFR400R which handled much the same as those bikes from Tron. I went straight on to this Kwak without a test ride, when riding it for the first time all I could think about was how much meatier this bike was than the Honda. I was committed, leant across the tank my feet locked back into sprint position, looking at the huge head of this thing, kinda reminded me of a bull.
Like any bike, you will get used to the look and feel of it, and I did. The weight is distributed nicely and gives you a lot of confidence when entering a corner, the ride is smooth and it does seem to take any bumps without any fuss at all, allowing you to think more of your riding than what the bike is thinking.
The handling set up on the ZXR is spoken about all day long amongst owners and enthusiasts, I have simply adjusted the pre-load a few turns and already feel a big difference, slap some good rubber on it and then you’ll start telling other riders they are really missing out, as all 7R owners do.

Equipment

Quite simply, good all round build quality especially from these last of the production 7R’s.
Forget what MCN has down for this bike, I seriously think they weren’t talking about the same bike.
The head lights work a lot better than some modern sports bikes I’ve ridden, put these on full beam and you could blind a child from ¼ of mile.
The clock cluttered? There are 3 to look at, how much, how fast and how hot. That’s all I need thanks.

Quality and Reliability

Not a bike to cause you any grief if you keep it maintained, they can be ridden very hard and never let you down.
The exhausts had never been sorted out so need to be thrown away unless you don’t ride in anything but sunshine.
I would say the 7R hasn’t quite got the paint finish of a Honda.

Verdict

The looks and sound alone have people looking twice at this bike, it’s presence on the road is awesome.
The ride and feel of this bike is very rewarding compared to the lighter, twitchier bikes that have superseded the 7R.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

darrenh
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:31 - 05 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

03 KAWASAKI B1H ZX636

https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9105/kopqg3.jpg

MCN overall verdict
The ZX-6R of 2003 marked a dramatic return to form for Kawasaki. At its launch this machine was the hardest, most technologically advanced 600 of all time, boasting radial brakes, upside-down forks and fully digital clocks alongside fuel-injection, a lap timer and all wrapped up in a tiny, tight chassis and plastics. Gorgeous.

Arrow Engine size 636cc
Arrow Power 112bhp
Arrow Top speed 162mph
Arrow Insurance group 15

Arrow Top speed 162mph
Arrow 1/4-mile acceleration secs
Arrow Power 112bhp
Arrow Torque 46ftlb
Arrow Weight 161kg
Arrow Seat height 825mm
Arrow Fuel capacity 18 litres
Arrow Average fuel consumption 38mpg
Arrow Tank range 150 miles
Arrow Insurance group 15
Arrow Engine size 636cc
Arrow Engine specification 16v in-line four, 6 gears
Arrow Frame Aluminium twin spar
Arrow Front suspension adjustment Preload, compression, rebound
Arrow Rear suspension adjustment Preload, compression, rebound
Arrow Front brakes Twin 280mm discs
Arrow Rear brake 220mm disc
Arrow Front tyre size 120/65 x 17
Arrow Rear tyre size 180/55 x 17

Author's product rating:

Comfort Good
Handling Excellent
Looks Excellent
Features Good
Fuel consumption Satisfactory

Advantages: speed,handling,evil looks !
Disadvantages: Comfort
Recommend to potential buyers: yes

Engine

Kawasaki stuck with their capacity advantage over the rest of the ‘600’ pack, which means that there’s still beefy mid-range as well as a howling top end. The fuel-injection is flawless and if you can find a road or track long enough it’ll sling you towards a top speed in excess of 160mph. With a full system and a Power Commander this machine will put out a genuine 114bhp. Only a notchy gearbox stand in the way of perfection.

Ride and Handling

This is a track machine without compromise and as such it begs for a steering damper. And preferably a softer spring in the shock. It’s a hard ride on British roads – the front gets frisky under power and the back end feels harsh and crudely suspended. Get it on the track and it gels beautifully. No complaints about the brakes - the four-piston radial Tokicos are simply awesome.

Equipment

All the toys come as standard – LED brake lights, lap timer, radial brakes, etc etc. But you don’t get an immobiliser as stock, which is poor in this day and age.

Quality and Reliability

The paint on the tank is easily scratched, so a tank pad is a sensible idea. Thankfully a hugger comes as standard, so the shock get an easier time and isn’t pelted with road crud by the tyre.

Verdict
Brought for 2800 bit under price what a bargin with 7k on the clock
i really do love the bike to bits ive only had her for a few weeks or so, havent yet put the bike to the test but so far im impressed with the power delivery and handling, loosk and feels superb possibly the best bike ive purchased to date

Last edited by darrenh on 20:40 - 05 Nov 2007; edited 1 time in total

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 05 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda CBR 1100 XX Super Blackbird
https://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/genericv2/717/55/01AwcAXzW_kzEAAAABAAAAAAAAAAA:.jpg
https://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/genericv2/855/71/01AwcAXzW_zBMAAAABAAAAAAAAAAA:.jpg
Arrow Stupidly long name
Arrow 1137 cc
Arrow 165 bhp @ crank
Arrow Inline 4 (6 gears)
Arrow 180 mph top speed
Arrow 1/4 mile - 10.20 sec @ 134.5 mph
Arrow 40mpg
Arrow Insurance - 16

Engine
When first designed it was a display of engineering finesse, making a new benchmark in power and full of technology.

The power delivery is super smooth and plentyfull to say the least, it has a kick up the arse regardless of which gear you're in - making it a perfect tool for 6 gear riding, stick in top and you don't have to change down till you stop.

Acceleration is unreal, with a quicker 0-60 than an R1 its nothing to be sniffed at and when you fancy giving it some stick it will laugh in your face as you're cheeks become clenched.

Since most of the time the bike stays in low revs the sound is pretty un-awe inspiring, the big bore IL4 purrs like a pussy cat until you wind back the throttle and you get a satisfying 'whoosh' noise that makes you think you're driving some sort of aircraft.

Ride and Handling.

The bike was designed with aerodynamics in mind, the perfectly shaped fairing cuts through the air leaving wind blast to a minimum, if you hide behind the screen you can actually hear other cars over the wind!
Because so much thought went into it the CBR has less drag than an NSR250 gp bike, this however can be a problem, the bike is so smooth and gives you little feedback resulting in riding the bike faster than you think you're going, so you have to check your speedo religously if you want to keep a clean licence.

Theres no getting away from the fact that it is heavy, in biking terms today it is somewhat comparable to an oil tanker and this is definately an issue moving the bike around with the engine off, whether you are on the bike or not manouvering it around is no easy task.
This does change however once the powerplant is fired up, the weight simply dissapears as if by magic, even slow speed controll is not as difficult as you would first assume and when it gets going you forget what you are sitting on top of is the weight of 2 125cc bikes and handling is suprisingly forgiving for its size, with a capable rider even modern sportsbikes will struggle to keep ahead.

Riding position is fairly relaxed for a sportsbike, the seat is large and pillion freindly, overall good for long distance comfort.

Equipment

This was a top of the range bike so comes pretty well stocked, even almost a decade ago since it was made and still it comes with digital fuel injection, a fuel gauge, immobiliser, clock, plenty of underseat space, the basic mod cons you'd get from a standard bike today.

Quality and reliability

The Blackbird is a well built and robust machine renounded for its longevity its used for long distance touring and as a high mileage work horse, often described as a contintenal cruise missile.

After taking mine abroad i found its very fit for purpose and can highly reccomend it.

Many birds go round the clock, quite commonplace.
https://superblackbird.arnolddegraaf.nl/images/mike-via-100k_miles.JPG

Value for money

Birds will eat mileage, unfortunately if you have a heavy throttle hand it will also eat fuel &tyres.

They hold their value very, very well and even high mileage examples fetch a premium which obviously can be good and bad.

Since these days its really an all rounder you do get great value for money, its very much a what it says on the tin kind of bike.

Verdict

Perfect sports tourer for someone who wants it a bit more on the sports side, creamy smooth bike and generally hassle free.
Best bike i've owned so far

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Still to come, Xj600, Z750s, FZ6.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1