Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

REVIEWS: Cleaning products

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 24 Oct 2007    Post subject: REVIEWS: Cleaning products Reply with quote

WD40

https://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/post-wd40.jpg

Quote:
Known as "the can with a thousand uses," WD-40 protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates just about anything. WD-40 is also great when it comes to cleaning grease, grime, and other marks from most surfaces

Cleans
WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.

Displaces water
Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.

Pentrates
WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.

Lubricates
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.

Protects
WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

The proof is in the pudding Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREqf4wIukA

Verdict

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

It can work out a little expensive in comparison to other cleaning products but is nice and user friendly being in a can. To make the job complete, try a water based degreaser Thumbs Up

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoglym Super Resin Polish , Great stuff. bit on the pricey side but its worth it !
https://www.partridges.uk.com/catalog/images/Super_resin_polish500.jpg
Thumbs Up

Last edited by Jamie S on 22:19 - 24 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 24 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castrol Greentec Motorcycle Cleaner

https://lineonedist.co.uk/pics/products/fullsize/castrol%20cleaner.jpg

Quote:
Castrol Greentec Special cleaner is a specially formulated & biodegradable cleaning concentrate to dissolve dirt, oil and grease deposits, ideal for the inside of hulls, engines and trialers. Features safe and effective cleaning performance on painted surfaces, metal alloy, plastic and rubber. Free of enviromentally damaging solvents & phosphates. No streaking.

Not the most expensive cleaning products on the market so I thought I'd give it a go and can say that I wasn't impressed.

The cleaner has a strange smell to it as it foams on the grease and it all looks good, but it doesn't seem to shift the grot as Autoglym and the WD40 did. Whatever cleaner is left on the metal work then turns into a residue that looks even worse than the grime.

Verdict

Thumbs Up

Very disappointed with this product, I had high hopes and it left me feeling deflated with the elbow grease that was needed. 500ml is a nice volume and for £6 or so is excellent value for money, but the moneys probably worth saving and spending on a more recommended product.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 24 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidl Engine degreaser , £1. 500ml spray can.

Really good stuff and an incredibly cheap price.

Verdict = Thumbs Up Very impressed.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castrol Chain Wax

https://www.cyclegear.com/images/oil/Castrol_chainwax_310x310.jpg

Quote:
Setting a new standard in chain lubrication. advanced synthetic based chain lubricant suitable for all makes of on & off road motorcycles fitted with o ring & non o ring chains.

Apart from me breaking the quite flimsy straw that comes with the aerosol, its a fantastic little gem.

Being an aerosol it can be a little hard not to get over spray on to the other parts of the bike and any excess I found then litters the rear wheel and has subsequently coated my chain guard Laughing

The wax cleans the chain nicely and hasn't clogged up or built up any scum that could cause problems in the future.

Verdict

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Well worth the £5.99.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 29 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUNK Degreaser

https://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1311640_00003001.jpg

Quote:
Gunk Engine Cleaning Degreasant has been specially formulated to provide ultimate performance. It is the first choice of the professional mechanic for removing oil, grease and grime.

Found it to be a really excellent product. I hadnt cleaned my old XR's engine and frame surround in a good while, a lot of dirt, oil, mud and crap caked everywhere, and discoloured engine metal. This brought it up really gorgeous, cleaned away all the shit, and did a fantastic job. Recommended!

Halfords, £4.99

Overall Verdict

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:20 - 30 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Castrol Chain Wax
Verdict

Well worth the £5.99.

I bought three cans of the stuff when it was on special, and now I know why it was on special. I hate the stuff, completely rubbish!

I'm not the only one. Linky.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 30 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:

I bought three cans of the stuff when it was on special, and now I know why it was on special. I hate the stuff, completely rubbish!

Well I never.

I must admit ti not doing that many miles and I found it much better than another oil based lube.

It is sticky upon application and I can see why maybe the chain may become a little gunky through the dust and dirt.

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Castrol Chain Wax
Verdict

Well worth the £5.99.

Watch this space then Shocked

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:00 - 30 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
Castrol Chain Wax
Verdict

Well worth the £5.99.

agreed, i got some free with some castrol oil figured id try it out. utterly rubbish stuff, doesnt stay on in wet weather for more than 5 minutes, flings it all off after quite a short millage, if id paid for it id be grumpy...

this stuff on the other hand:

https://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/WurthChainLube150.jpg

frikin brilliant stuff bit pricey at about £6- £7 for 500ml but it stays on well, and doesnt pic up grit like the other 'wet' or 'waxy' chain lubes

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up (only 4 as its expensive!)

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 31 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
Castrol Chain Wax
Verdict

Well worth the £5.99.

I found it didn't last as long as this Mottrax stuff I had before, it didn't fling off, I just always needed to keep lubing my chain.

adamck
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:56 - 14 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.beedspeed.com/images/thumbnails/120_images_WurthBRAKECleanerCan.jpg
This stuff is just silly!
It will clean that ground-in shit from anything!
its safe on paintwork and metal work and evaporates within 20 seconds of spraying it, work amazing on wheels, engine, chains etc... and issafe for using on o-ring and x-ring chains etc...
Its just magic in a can!

Also their chain wax is awsome stuff!

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 05:41 - 15 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motul Shine and go

https://www.quadshop-germany.de/Media/Shop/Motul-ShineGo.jpg

Cost:- Free (if you steal it from your flatmate Wink )

Absolutely amazing, the lazymans cleaner wash the bike get all the dirt off then spray this on everything and wipe off later.

I use this you my plastics, frame, wheels, engine, pretty much everywhere.

Leaving a lovely shine, and smells good to.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a de-greaser Diesel is highly underrated. Wink
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful with the Autosol as it eats chrome if you use it too often, by that i mean it grinds it away, i`ve seen loads of 70`s bikes when i had my Triumph with bare patches all the way around the rims, so be careful.!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad -Jockey.

Jockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:20 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i wouldn`t use diesel, having worked with it for years as an hgv technician, have you seen what happens to it when it reaches it`s cfpp(cold filter plugging point)?, it turns into a waxey white stuff, i know i`ve done many winter breakdowns. Very Happy -Jockey.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/WurthChainLube150.jpg

Use both of the above at work (Suzuki Dealer) and can recommend them both.

We also use AutoGlym Instant Bike Shine To polish the new bikes before they go to customers.

It gets rid of greasy fingers marks and road film easily and makes the bikes look briliant.

https://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/images/products/tnw189h0xy-IBS.jpg

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castrol chain wax = SHIT - turned to this from rockoil wax and my chain rusted and lengthened very very quickly!

Autosol = Too harsh on bikes, have used it on my wheels in the past and found out the hard way.

Auto Glym super resin polish - Use this on your bike at your own risk. Shaun will back me up that it removes paint from fairings with ease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Scouse wrote:
Castrol chain wax = SHIT - turned to this from rockoil wax and my chain rusted and lengthened very very quickly!

Autosol = Too harsh on bikes, have used it on my wheels in the past and found out the hard way.

Auto Glym super resin polish - Use this on your bike at your own risk. Shaun will back me up that it removes paint from fairings with ease.

Not sure if Autosol or resin polish is for paint Confused

Yeah my wheels are polished and yeah resin polish is meant for paintwork. Obviously car paintwork though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 00:48 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunk is amazing, It used it to take oil and grease of a pair of jeans, I sprayed it all over and checked them in a washing machine (Previous wash did nothing to remove it) and they looked good as new, I had to put both the jeans and the washing machine through a few rinses after mind to get rid of the smell!

It is all good as removing muck from your hands, but please note it does taste nice and burns your eyes.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamck wrote:
This stuff is just silly!
It will clean that ground-in shit from anything!
its safe on paintwork and metal work and evaporates within 20 seconds of spraying it, work amazing on wheels, engine, chains etc... and issafe for using on o-ring and x-ring chains etc...
Its just magic in a can!

Also their chain wax is awsome stuff!

Use this at work, it even kills oil its that good.

benjami
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:07 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for WD40.

Used it today on everything that wasn't rubber, came out great.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2