BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Opinions please!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:14 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at that price you could afford several replacements bikes, but it is te third party element I would consider, and what was said above about why it is so high is due to the ability to sue with no limit Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:16 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Figure I have heard is 10%, which is fairly close.

Trouble is not if someone hits you, but that if you hit someone. If you do that then the compensation you will have to pay out means you may as well go and top yourself as you can forget having a life

Personal feeling is that 3rd party injury insurance should be included in the price of petrol or registration. Such systems work in other parts of the world (Australia for example).

All the best

Keith

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:20 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Personal feeling is that 3rd party injury insurance should be included in the price of petrol or registration. Such systems work in other parts of the world (Australia for example).

Wouldnt that just mean petrol going up even more?

But it could be quite a good idea, although I cant see the insurance companies liking it that much! Some thrive on TPO cover

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 01:20 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me agrees with Keith on that one.

Wouldn't it be good if everyone in England agreed to pay for any damage they caused to another persons vehicle, thus there being no need for insurance.

Still doesn't overcome the theft side though, or if you injure someone in an accident... but, for me it was a good idea lol Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:23 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:
Wouldn't it be good if everyone in England agreed to pay for any damage they caused to another persons vehicle, thus there being no need for insurance.

Would you say that if you crashed into a Ferrari or something equally expensive?

Having it included in price of your petrol means everyone has it Smile And insurance doesnt go up if you scrap lots of nice cars filtering Laughing

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 01:25 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me hides...

Ok I'm stumped... the only other thing I can suggest is boot all cars off the roads, or all go around with inflatable bumpers Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:29 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol idea is best me thinks Very Happy

i wonder how much it would put petrol up by?

And what about these solar powered/ gas cars Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 01:51 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the insurance situation in Ireland, is there really any particular reason why you *want* a sports 50/125? Confused I remember ages ago someone mentioned that a sports 250/400 is actually cheaper to insure over there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:00 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

License restrictions? Like CBT?

I dont know how it works over there, but Im guessing it must be something like that.

And where's the logic in it being cheaper to insure a 250/ 400? If they're worried about damage, then you can do more on a faster/ bigger bike!

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 02:10 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:

And where's the logic in it being cheaper to insure a 250/ 400? If they're worried about damage, then you can do more on a faster/ bigger bike!

The quotes/premiums/groups are probably based upon statistics...i.e., that more sports 125s (mainly ridden by 17-year olds) are involved in accidents than some bigger bikes. 125s are probably more common as well ('cos you don't need a licence), so there's more of them on (or off Confused) the road.

Fair point about licence restrictions on his class of bike, but I'm specifically asking why he wants a *sports* one, especially given the circumstances? ...and wouldn't it be wiser in the long term (and maybe short term too) to spend some money on getting a licence, and then a naked 400/600?

Having said that, it's all down to your situation...and I'm definately not trying to sway anyone from sports bikes...far from it...if you can afford something that you want, then your should definately go for it, but make your decisions wisely...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:06 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought soemthing like a cg125 would be as much fun and still offer similar performance (relitvely (sp), obviously worse handling, but better suspension)... though wouldn't have teh looks. However you have to consider, if the sports-looking bikes are more expensive to insure, if looks are worth £000s for a slower bike.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:07 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
scoobysnacks wrote:

Would you say that if you crashed into a Ferrari or something equally expensive?

The Aus system is 3rd party injury. Scratch a car and your insurance still has to cover that. However as you can get away without insurance and just pay for the damage to the Ferrari, the insurance is alot more sensible. For example when I was there in 1996 it cost me the equivalent of £330 for a years fully comp insurance on a GPX750. That was less than I was paying in the UK with full no claims bonus, and not having an Aus licence meant the cheaper companies over there would not touch me

In Aus (well Victoria) the insurance is included in the cost of the rego. That was expensive (about £220 for a years rego). The rego is their tax disk equivalent. There petrol is less than half the price of ours

Stephen wrote:
Having it included in price of your petrol means everyone has it :) And insurance doesnt go up if you scrap lots of nice cars filtering :lol:

Mmmmm, and there insurance wouldnt go up if they reversed into 20 bikes parked in a line!.

All the best

Keith

bikes4life
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx 4the advice ppl,

but the problem over here wit insurance is dat there is only 1 (YES 1!!!!) company that will insure bikes so they can charge whatever they want. The governmment also put insurance up a few months back because they thought if it was more expensive it would keep younger drivers off the road. Third party insurance over does NOT cover fire and theft so in my opinion its kind of pointless getting it, i would rather save longer 2get fully comp. insurance.

Its got nothing 2do with religion as someone said! lol

I have a year and a half no claims bonus on my moped, if i went 2get insured on an rs125 or nsr125 now i would pay about 6000euros! I havent got that kind of money unfortunately Crying or Very sad

But i could get insured on a yamaha TDR125 for the same price as getting insured on an RS50 or NSR75. But i dont really like TDR's but its something for me 2think about. Since i started liking bikes about a year ago ive always like sports bikes more than any others so ive always wanted 2get 1.

Do u all think i would be better getting a TDR????

Let me know what u think,
Thanx

Bryn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 15:00 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that you should go for a cheaper to insure bike first, and then work up to a "proper" sports bike Very Happy

Personally, even if I could afford to pay £4-5k for insurance on a sports 125, I'd rather not Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:09 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a tdr125 over asports 50/75 anyday.
I think the most important thing is to ride them both (test rides, friends etc) and see what you think.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:14 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want from the bike. If you want looks etc, then it will have to be 50/75 you go for. However, if you dont mind about looks, go for the TDR

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:50 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikes4life wrote:
Third party insurance over does NOT cover fire and theft so in my opinion its kind of pointless getting it, i would rather save longer 2get fully comp. insurance.

Hi

UK insurance for third party cover does not cover fire and theft. That is an extra cost. The extra is a tiny amount so virtually nobody bothers with third party only. For example for my sister in NI on a Ford Ka the difference between third party only and third party fire and theft is £2199 to £2202

All the best

Keith

bikes4life
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:12 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

"UK insurance for third party cover does not cover fire and theft. That is an extra cost. The extra is a tiny amount so virtually nobody bothers with third party only"

I understand wat u mean Keith but in Ireland u cant get third party fire and theft on a motorbike, u can on a car but not on a bike so its a kick in the teeth really.

All the best,
Bryn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:25 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to insure your bike in England, under say a friends address, or even one of ours? and then ride it in Ireland on that Question

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 00:23 - 04 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

The extra is a tiny amount so virtually nobody bothers with third party only...

Umm, it really depends alot on the type of bike that you go for, the value of the bike (that you insure it for), and the likelihood of it getting nicked Confused For instance, TPO on a 2002 FireBlade would be £700 for me, but TPFT (assuming that it's garaged, fairly low risk area, and valued at £6000) would be about £1700 + £500 excess Confused...although this was only an online quote (but a full one, nonetheless), and the calculations probably assume that the bike is more likely to get nicked if you're young Mad

Only a few insurance companies/brokers claim to disregard age when it comes to theft cover, so perhaps this online one isn't one of them...But I suppose that you also need to bear in mind the age of the bike.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 11:01 - 04 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have TPO becasue its alot cheaper for me that TPFT.
TPO = 200 ish
TPFT = 450 ish
So i opt for the cheaper alternative.
I'm not really gonna leave the bike where it would be stolen, and its always locked up at work and theres hundreads of people around to see it. so i dont see the problem in it.

bikes4life
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:16 - 05 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Posted: 03 Nov 2002 22:25

Is it possible to insure your bike in England, under say a friends address, or even one of ours? and then ride it in Ireland on that

As far as i know i cant because England arent in the European Union. But i think i could insure my bike in any other country in the E.U. So if i wanted 2insure my bike in Germany i could. But i would be very scepticle (sp??) about that. Mainly because it would all be done over the internet, which i wouldnt trust for something like this. And also the way licences are over there could differ from here which would make things very tricky. Does any1 agree?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:45 - 05 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure we are part of the eu and have been for a while, its just the euro we dont have.

bikes4life
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:55 - 05 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry! my mistake, thats what i meant. i think i can insure my bike anywhere that has the euro.....im really not sure tho! ah well!

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:56 - 05 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK is indeed part of the EU, and is/was one of the original "member states".

As for the insurance issue, I can see complications, but it's possible...the main thing is that you'll technically have to have extra cover for "riding abroad", otherwise you won't be covered at all. It may also be tricky when it comes to claim time, especially if it's nicked.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3