Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Odd Indicator Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:58 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Odd Indicator Problem Reply with quote

Ok, now this is not bull shit, as G, Luke and Craig have all seen it.

I have nice mini indicators fitted to my bike, and the flasher unit has also been changed. I think it did it before, with the brick indicators on. When i rev the engine, it flashes faster, and faster, till its almost constant. What could cause this, and how could i fix it?

Its really odd, and it might well be illegal, and i dont want it to happen in my test!

thanks

Wingchunal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to change my indicators badly, im sure the standard bricks loose you about 10mph for wind drag!
What bulbs you got in your minis?

drunkstudent
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked the regulater/rectifier? there always packing up, could be part of the prob?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:12 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

drunkstudent wrote:
have you checked the regulater/rectifier?

Nope, cos i dont actually know what it is Confused Is that the same as the flasher unit?

/me blames it all on TiN Razz (joke mate!)

zaknafien

PostPosted: 06:48 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin wont mind, i blame everything bad that happens to me on him. usually his fault Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:42 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The regualtor / rectifier unit takes the AC voltage from the alternator and converts it to DC voltage of about 14 volts. Put a voltmeter over the battery, and it should be around (just under) 13V, rising to 14~14.5 with the engine running with some revs on.

To be honest I doubt this is the problem as when you rev the engine the indicators are fine. Sounds more like low battery power to me. You dont have a higher wattage headlight bulb in do you? If so try turning the headlight off and see if that fixes the problem. If the battery is marginal then the headlight drain will be noticable

All the best

Keith

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the headlight is standard.

I will try turning it off etc.

Its an odd problem!

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:37 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

it kinda does that on mine, i had trouble finding orange bulbs with the correct wattage so i got a new flasher unit and some 21W bulbs, when my engine is above 6k they flash rather quick then gradually slow down, mabyee as keith said you may have the wrong bulbs or wrong flasher unit fitted
hope it helps
Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:53 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, lights off doesnt help Sad

It has the standard bulbs in there etc etc

And the Flasher unit is right? I think (TiN?!)

Will they let me do my test on thursday with it like this? ie, not being roadworthy or some other shit

bikerboy1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:03 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a problem with these things on the side of me bike as well.
i got new ones and i fitted them and they worked UNTIL......i started the bike then turned the front light on then turned them on, and they would stick on, not flashing just sticking!!!!! but when i turn the front light off they start flashing!!!
whats the problem here??? anyone help

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:47 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

For both of you I would suggest taking the battery off and charging it up and then try again. If that doesnt fix it make sure the electrical connections to the indicators, indicator relay and the battery are all clean.

The relays are always very sensitive to voltage.

All the best

Keith

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:10 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery is fully charged, or at least the indicators were still doing it after it was fully charged, and then volt checked.

I will checkout the indicator relay tomorrow.

What do people think they will say on my test if they notice it?? Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:25 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, keep the revs to sensible levels so it isnt obvious. Also remember that the test has to take account of bikes with 6 volt electrics where the indicator speeds tend to be very slow at idle.

Rereading your original post you say the indicators get faster until they are almost constant. Sorry I read this as being that at high revs they are OK (sort of flash at a constant rate). If you mean (as I think you do) that they are on almost constantly then it does sound like a regulator / rectifier problem so check out the voltage over the battery as the revs go up

All the best

Keith

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 13:45 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you just do it the simple way and rewire the indicators yourself
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1