BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain Query

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:29 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Chain Query Reply with quote

Hello, it's prolly me being as thick as two shot planks but its still a query n that what this forum is for Very Happy
i have an 01 NSR 125R with a bog standard O-Ring Chain its done 4,875 miles since April (when new)
ne hows before my Chain used to sag with use so i'd adjust the tension and everything is fine, i've done almost 500 miles since my last tension adjustment and the chain sags a bit but has enough play to hit the underside of the swing arm Shocked also when its on the paddock stand and i rotate the rear wheel its sounds more 'gritty' than usaual at the front sproket
just wonding if this is normal or somthing to pay attention to before its 5,000 mile service tomorrow (BTW i lube my chain with O-Ring safe lube about every 200miles or so)
thanks
Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 00:49 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

sounds like you need to lube ya chain more regulally mate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 02:22 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

every 200miles should be fine, i usually do it when I think it needs it which can be anything from 130-200miles. Give it a clean, it's prolly got loads of dirt stuck to it, so get a rag and your cleaner of choice and wipe it all clean then lube it again.

If the chain can touch the swingarm then it needs adjusting, but it shouldnt be a problem unless you change gear really crap or have a habit of going up steep hills in 4th gear then chaning straight down to 1st and jamming the throttle open Wink check the chain for tightspots and check the teeth on the sprockets, see if theyre wearing badly, if so maybe time for a new C&S

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:26 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback, the chains fine, there was a little grit around the front sproket from all the crap weather
my front brake is very spongey i need to pul the lever right back so its basically touching the bars, i went back and the mechanic just said it's becuase everything hase been lubed up and they will go stiff again as i use them more (i still have my old pads in) just wondering if this was true or not cos i only needed to tap the lever to get full breaking power now im having to pull it right back Shocked

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
yeah, sum times thr gritty sound could be the rear wheel bearings, i looked at mine the other day and they were covered in crap, just take the wheel off and they should just fall out Very Happy

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:53 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i need to do my chain. 1600 miles so far Confused Shocked

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:51 - 09 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonym20 wrote:
my front brake is very spongey i need to pul the lever right back so its basically touching the bars, i went back and the mechanic just said it's becuase everything hase been lubed up and they will go stiff again as i use them more (i still have my old pads in) just wondering if this was true or not cos i only needed to tap the lever to get full breaking power now im having to pull it right back Shocked

Errr, no that doesnt sound right. Yes doing some work on the brakes can affect them for a short time, but only long enough to pump the lever a few times. My guess is that they have got some air in the system or have fiddles with the adjuster screw (not sure if you bike has one on the lever or not)

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1