Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Proposal increase points and fines for "excessive"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 09 Nov 2007    Post subject: Proposal increase points and fines for "excessive" Reply with quote

No, not an MCN exclusive. In a real newspaper.

https://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article2836449.ece

For of you are can't be arsed to read it, it was outlined in the queen's speech that if you're caught doing

94+ in a 70
45+ in a 30
57+ in a 40

you'll get 6 points and a £100 fine instead of the usual 3 points and £60 fine.

I have to say I agree with the lower 2, but not the motorway one. At a time when traffic police and transport analysts accept that it would be perfectly safe to up the limit to 80 or 90.

EDIT

The forum keeps making my title go weird. Confused

Matt06
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 09 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally dont agree with any of them. Its quite safe to so 50 in a 30 when there is no traffic.

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 09 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its quite safe to so 50 in a 30 when there is no traffic

Tell that to a kid you hit at 50, instead of 30.

I live in a residential area, near a school. I see the 20mph limit, at least twice a week, broken by reckless idiots. Almost the same amount I see kids unpredictably running in the roads.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:47 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Plenty of 30 limits around that shouldn't be 30s.

Know of at least one that was a 30 limit for several years but got changed to a 70 with no changes (it was a dual carraigeway).

All the best

Keith

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.......Almost the same amount I see kids unpredictably running in the roads.

Perhaps it might be wise to address that side of the problem instead of making everyone drive like they're on their way to a funeral.

If kids aren't taught that the roads are dangerous then they're more likely to find out the hard way.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them do it, once everyone gets banned and forced onto public transport then all hell break loose because it it's crap.

They don't encourage better driving and it's disgusting that they insist so long as you stay under the posted limits you will be safe. Who are these incompetent fools in charge of all this?

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Quote:

I live in a residential area, near a school. I see the 20mph limit, at least twice a week, broken by reckless idiots. Almost the same amount I see kids unpredictably running in the roads.

https://mllstrm.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/helenlovejoy.jpg

Oh dear god - WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

Last edited by bazza on 22:56 - 10 Nov 2007; edited 1 time in total

nick606
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a though maybe they should teach people to drive better and they should teach kids some road sense.

Instead of

Quote:
He also called for police to be given more discretion to enforce even minor breaches of the limit. Under current Association of Chief Police Officer guidelines, drivers are given an allowance of 10 per cent plus 1 mph over the limit. This means they will not be fined at speeds lower than 35mph on a 30mph road, 46mph on a 40mph road and 79mph on a 70mph road. Mr Gifford said: “Police need the flexibility to enforce any breach of the limit, even 1mph over it.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Quote:

There are30mph roads that are easily capable of a higher speed limit.

And as for the kids thing, when I was a kid I ran out onto the road (in Colombia) and I got hit by a speeding biker. I wasn't injured too badly, luckily. I learnt from it, and I don't blame him at all. I should've stopped, looked and waited for when it was safe.

Wish other people would think that, instead of always blaming third party Rolling Eyes
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:01 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, a feckn idiot chav was riding on the pavement on a pushbike riding towards me towards me, I was doing around 25 & was on a slight bend with pelican crossing & traffic behind me, when he decided to pop out in front of me between the van & on my left, straight across to the other side of the road without looking at all. Evil or Very Mad

Missed him by a hair's breadth!! Nearly shat myself! Had no time to stop, if i'd hit him he woulda been mangeld, even if I was doing 10 mph. No doubt I would have got the blame for it. Sad

The government need to educate and come down hard on pedestrians and cyclists in the same way they would drivers of any vehicle. They should be held accountable for not following the Highway Code too.

If a pedestrian steps into moving (or even static) traffic and not use the pedestrian crossing, say anywhere within 200 meters of where they crossed they should be fined.

Bring back the Green Cross Code ethics into school I say. Thumbs Up

Last edited by tomski_w on 21:04 - 10 Nov 2007; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomski_w wrote:

Bring back the Green Cross Cross ethics into school I say. Thumbs Up

When did they stop, had it was I was a lad. I'm 19 now.

stop look listen all that.

The last thing I remeber seeing were the Hedgehogs:

https://www.hedgehogs.gov.uk/html/images/hedgehog.gif

But that must have been at least 5 years ago now.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick606 wrote:
Heres a though maybe they should teach people to drive better and they should teach kids some road sense.

But people are taught how to drive, it just once the test is passed, any thought of driving safely seems to go out of the window. And behind the wheel that red mist appears.....

Also kids are taught road sense, but this is often over ruled by parents out with their kids.... How many times do you see a parent dragging a kid across the road between cars, or crossing when the red man is on at the lights.....
WTF are the kids expected to do with all the conflicting messages they recieve.... Same as the rest of us, resort to what you learn yourself....

Like the idea of staggerd penalties, makes the punishment more fitting for the crime.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:32 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Like the idea of staggerd penalties, makes the punishment more fitting for the crime.

Possibly, except the penalties for speeding are already way too stiff. May have made vague sense when the chances of getting done were nominal and they could be dealt with by the police as an option if someone was driving like a twat, but with a 10 fold increase in the number of tickets maybe the points should be reduced by a similar factor.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

but according to a red top I found lining me chips the other day , points are to be lower but get caught twice in one year it said you'd receive a ban
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt06
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Quote:

Well, I dont expect there to be a child running through town at 1am. Plus, if they ran in front of me they would probably be just as fucked at 30.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:31 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
but according to a red top I found lining me chips the other day , points are to be lower but get caught twice in one year it said you'd receive a ban

Idea was that points would be lower for minor infractions. However at present those would likely be covered by the guidelines of a 10% +2mph allowanace, so reality is that it is going from no points to 2 points.

All the best

Keith

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I the only one who dosn't see this as a problem?

If you wanna go fast and get your knee down, go to a track day, where its alot more safer for you, and other people. Otherwise obey the law, like most of the other people who are on the road. Going over the limit by a few mph isn't going to improve your journey time in any great way.

Also to further elaborate on my previous post... kids are taught the green cross road at school still, but it dosn't stop over 150 kids being killed on roads every year. People are unpredictable, and even if it is their fault, they're not gonna come out the better if they're hit by a bike, car or even cycle. And you're not gonna be smiling and say "it was there fault" if you put someone in hospital.

Im sorry for preaching and being the old coot...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:22 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Otherwise obey the law, like most of the other people who are on the road.

Problem with your argument is virtually nobody on the road obeys the law. Plenty claim to, but they are often the ones so dozy that they are unaware they are breaking the law.

All the best

Keith

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Problem with your argument is virtually nobody on the road obeys the law

Yeah, I have to agree... sometimes out of arrogance, incompetance, impatience or all three.

A better question would be; will increasing the penalties, stop people breaking the law?

It may at least remove a few idiots from the road.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the rant, this is a little bit long! Laughing

i think the way the government approaches road issues is completely wrong, this is why:

one of the main problems on the roads is that whole groups of people get blamed for things, a prime example is the amount of young drivers who get branded as "boyracers" and bad drivers, just for being young and having a car.
Im 17 and the amount of times ive been in friends cars and gotten pulled over just for being a group of young people in a car is stupid, one of my friends got pulled over 3 times in one evening!

I constantly see older people displaying terrible driving skills, way beyond that seen from the younger generations, for example the old lady who was stopped travelling at 70mph in the outside lane of a motorway, going the wrong way! when was the last time you heard of a teenager accidentaly going the wrong way down a road?

Im not going to jump to the defence of street racers, racing on roads is wrong end of story, however i do know quite a few who people participate in street racing, i know for a fact that the majority only do it in quiet areas such as industrial estates late at night, however recently the police have been targeting these areas and fining cars for stupid things, this is causing the cars to try and find other places which are often less safe to the general public than where they were before.
Like i said before, i do not agree with street racing however the police could better use their time catching drink drivers etc... than trying to stop something that is not really endangering those not involved.

On the raised speeding fines, i think putting speeding fines up is fair enough however in my opinion the government should consider meathods like variable speed limits on motorways between say 9pm and 6am, 90mph.

Also they should stop wasting money on speed cameras and instead invest in getting more police out on the roads, people learn where cameras are and slow down until they are past however you'll never be certain whether there is a police car 'round the next corner.

Im sure you're going to pick holes in what ive just said however you must see how most of it makes sence

Rant over Laughing

c_dug

edit: just to add, alot of the street racers i know are well into their 30's and 40's driving porches, mercades and noble's it isnt just 17 year old chavs

Matt06
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:

If you wanna go fast and get your knee down, go to a track day, where its alot more safer for you, and other people. Otherwise obey the law, like most of the other people who are on the road. Going over the limit by a few mph isn't going to improve your journey time in any great way.

Also to further elaborate on my previous post... kids are taught the green cross road at school still, but it dosn't stop over 150 kids being killed on roads every year. People are unpredictable, and even if it is their fault, they're not gonna come out the better if they're hit by a bike, car or even cycle. And you're not gonna be smiling and say "it was there fault" if you put someone in hospital.

Im sorry for preaching and being the old coot...

Haha, what roads do you drive on? I dont think most people obey the rules on the road. I mean come on, 30 is incredibly slow and most roads its safe to go much faster. How many times do you see people speed up as soon as the speed scamera strips end? I do it myself and so does nearly everyone else on the road. If I went around at the correct speed limits all the time it would take a hell of a lot longer to get where im going. And I know knee downs are safer on the track, but there are very few roads that arent in the country that are good enough to try on anyway. Apart from roundabouts.

Im willing to bet that those 150 deaths werent all that much to do with speed. If I put someone in hospital, I would feel the same if it were their fault going 30 or not. To be honest, if you hit someone on a bike then your going to come off quite bad yourself so if its not my fault im going to be pretty pissed off.

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably be no surprise to you all but I notice that a large majority of people speeding in towns and near schools, trying to get their own children to school in time are the very same people that moan about speeding motorists Shocked

Every single morning on my commute to work I am forced over to the gutter by impatient women with 4x4 volvo's or bmw's coming down the other way and cant wait for 10 seconds to get past the parked cars. These people have no idea of the speed limit and are always breaking it by a good 10 mph at the very least.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
It may at least remove a few idiots from the road.

What would you rather have?

People who speed at certain times when conditions allow (bar speed limits) or people who don't pay attention and don't look properly.

I know who I'd rather get rid off.

There's a reason why people feel safer on the back of my bike than in my friends car. And I don't ride slow and rarely stick to limits.
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:

... obey the law, like most of the other people who are on the road...

You are, of course, joking?

The problem here is that the law says it's illegal to exceed the speed limit - such law being drafted and laid down in the statutes by many learned men in wigs after much deliberation and expert consideration.

This is, largely, a Good Thing(tm) in order that laws are not thought up and passed on the whim of a passing cabinet minister as a knee-jerk reaction to yesterday's headlines in order to garner populist votes come election time.

OK, so things got a bit fvcked up in the last thirty years or so, but the principle holds true.

What really grips my shit is the fact that the power to designate speed limits and their geographical extent is given over to neo-simian cheesedicks in council planning departments who would award the Nobel Prize for Science to anyone who can operate a light switch and whose expertise extends little further than their own ability to pick their nose without intruding into their own cranial cavity.

Add to this culture of criminal incompetence the unhealthy whiff of criminal corruption that is termed "Safety Partnerships" and you have your road regulations governed and dictated by a coterie of corrupt incompetents whose small-mindedness would not register as a singularity.

So while it is essential to have speed limits in areas of risk, and those limits should be enforced, your local council fvckwits set about arbitrarily (and artificially) limiting vast swathes of this green and unpleasant land for no better reason than lining their own pockets and criminalising millions into the bargain.

And that, my old son, is why a metric shitload of people see it as a problem.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:

No. Thumbs Up

While the law and some of these speed limits may be stupid, they are the law and as such should be obeyed, sure we all bend them, but get caught you have to pay the fine.
Is it really worth saving that few secs to do 50 in a 30 when you may kill someone.....

Far to much RUSH, RUSH, RUSH & ME, ME, ME
in the world today.
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2