46%  [ 6 ]
turbo
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 12:21 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: nos or turbo Reply with quote

ive got rid of the duke and ive now got a very fast katana putting out a very girly 160 bhp at the back wheel im going for nos or turbo but i cant decide which
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 12:22 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo wont damage anything and is constant power as oposed to nos which is short lived spells of "help my engine is falling apart"
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 12:24 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you do alot to the engine before you turbo it the head will blow off

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 12:25 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it will be about £3000 for a turbo and about £500 for nos

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 12:27 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

well theres always that, but NOS is verging on suicidal the KICK it gives, but when you put the figures like that NOS sounds better
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 12:28 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt that the whole point

stevo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

True its alot of work to engineer a good turbo installation, but there are more reasons to go for it than Nitrous depending on what you want/need to have 250bhp+ for? If you want to do a few 1/4's then a Nitrous system might be your best bet, but for road use i cant see any point! Those big suzuki fours are big strong motors with a strong reputation from the Drag racing guys, and i doubt that there are many motors that are more ideal to turbo than these. As you say a turbo kit even the bolt on orientated ones usually need some engine modifications mainly to lower the Compression ratio. Turbos give brilliant power characteristics, and work from fairly low down the rev range depending on the set up. Good thing about a turbo set up is that it doesnt make a motor more peaky or just give a kick high up the rev range, it just swells the power curve considerably, and sounds f*cking ace doing it!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:03 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A turbo only works once the exhaust gases are flowing rapidly, so you will have some lag before you get the power. You can minimise the lag by using a small turbo, but then that also minimises the gain in power

For real extra power throughout the rev range you need a supercharger, but then you wont gain as much top end power (OK, you can go really silly and run a supercharger and a turbocharger, as Lancia did with the Delta S4 rally car in the mid 1980's). I suppose you could run with 2 tiny turbos though Laughing

There is a USA company (Turbodyne I think) who do an electric supercharger. These are designed to be used in parallel with a turbo. The idea is that the electric one spins up quickly and produces boost for up to 5 seconds while the turbo spools up

Nitrous is a cheap way of getting power in short burts. A decent turbo installation will cost a fortune (turbo + exhaust manifold + rest of exhaust + suitable fuel system + lower compression pistons + strong head gasket). Add to the fun that for decent power with a turbo engine you want to run with an intercooler, but not really much space for that on a bike

All the best

Keith

zaknafien

PostPosted: 13:18 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for nos. it sounds cooler when you tell people Razz

stevo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very true Keith. No one would ever try to suggest turbo power is cheap, but its just i think it would be far more effective on a road bike. There have been a few very nicely done turbo conversions on road bikes, The Holeshot R1 turbo (203bhp) and the Two Brothers ZX9R (181bhp) are very nicely engineered bikes that perform extremely well, and have manners close to the stock bikes. The ZX9 uses a tiny american turbo made by Aerocharger, which spools up quickly. They used the space created from the ram air/airbox removal to house a nice brick sized intercooler. This turbo has the advantage that it uses it's own oil resevoir, so that if ever the turbo inhaled anything nasty, or decided to go pop, then it wont contaminate the engine oil, or vice versa if there was any dirt in the motors oil, then it couldent wreak the blower. In my mind the biggest problem with having a 200bhp turbo sports bike, is what the hell do ya buy next?

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 13:24 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it looks like im going to just get nos as the bike has got shit loads of power as it is and ive still got to use it to get to work everyday

zaknafien

PostPosted: 13:25 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 200bhp gixer thou Razz

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 13:32 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bike is a 1984 gsx 1100 katana with a 1260 ef engine with stage 3 kent cams 38mm smoothbore carbs flowed head and bigger valves it puts out 160 bhp at the back wheel with 105 lb ft or torque my aim is to get it to about 220bhp just for the fun of it really and to piss off all the blokes on r1s who think they are the fastest thing on the road. also its got the added bonus of its onlt £100 fully comp on isurance as its classed as a classic bike

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:36 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

a super chager would be better it gives a contant increase throughout the whole rev range, rather than just a Boost for say 4000 up

PostPosted: 19:37 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you swap the monster for that?, it sounds like a piece of shit
You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 19:39 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Aaah dear 'guest'. Never with the balls to slag off someone's bike using their real name.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:42 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds fucking ace.

NOS sounds good looks good, if you can get the flames out of your exhaust your sorted, and cool factor of having a red button that does good things.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:01 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sticking up for my eb and the guest probably rides a ped anyway and wouldnt be able to handle something with that much power and from what they said they dont know the first thing about bikes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Aaah dear 'guest'. Never with the balls to slag off someone's bike using their real name.

THe guest that's suggesting 160hp on a bike is 'shit' Confused Confused

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offence ment to podge we love ya ped

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:04 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

its 160 bhp at the moment but by the time we do the bulldog it should be to about 220 - 250 bhp

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:07 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but its no match for a 160bhp bike Very Happy

And G... each to thier own Laughing

/me organises a race between arseupduke and Guest Twisted Evil Cool

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:13 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive decided im getting the nos

Mr Lucky
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:14 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who will be fitting this system (NOS or Turbo).

Might be an idea to talk to someone like Brad at DSD or Jack at Holeshot. Richard Albans at TTS will also be able to help you out.

Good luck.

If you are dragging it I would go for Nos first and see how you get on. I know a few people who run turbo's and they are an aquired taste at the strip. A huge amount of cash compared to the Nos system. The nos is not as uncontrolable as you may think. Brad fits a lovely progressive system. You can also drop it through the airbox (if you are running an airbox) which is a tad more gentle than straight through the carbs.

You need an option where you can vote for both... Very Happy

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:16 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be fitting the nos myself and it will be straight through the carbs as im using bell mouths.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2