Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engine cut out in the rain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

darkangel
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:40 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Engine cut out in the rain? Reply with quote

I was out on my dt125 last night and taking it slow round a corner, it was raining and the roads were really slippery.
My engine suddenly just died as if i hit the kill switch, at first i thought it might be a short circuit somewhere on my bike and luckily i was not far from a friends house, so i kick away at my bike for a couple of minutes trying with different fuel tap possitions, and using full open throttle to clear out the engine and just carried on kicking it for a few minutes not really expecting it to start back up, but it did.

I rode around carefully for a bit and then went onto a road where i could open the throttle up and it seemed okay but bogged.

I parked it for the night and i rode it home this morning and it seems to be fine, i have removed the snorkel from my airbox do you think water could have got in there?

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

once a lad on a ped broke down and he had a aftermarket airfilter on and took a few hefty kicks to get it up again, i'd put the snorkel back on and spray wd-40 around your spark plug to keep water away from it, i know a few bikes cut out in rain due to wet spark plugs.

befdelta7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:28 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like water getting in throught the airbox, as XlonewolfX said but the snorkel back on and WD the sparkie. without the snorkel the water can make an easy entry into the airbox.

had a pod filter once on my gilera runner couple of years back, and when it rained the filter got wet and the scooter would cut out. had to dry the filter with a hair dryer so i could go out on the dam thing.

darkangel
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:36 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange thing is that i have ridden in the rain before and never had a problem.
Also about WD40'ing the spark plug, isn't it an oil based product? could it ignite? and also surely water landing on the cylinder head would evaporate.

Once it stops raining ill have a look at the filter.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

GILERA DNA 50cc's are bad in the rain as they cut out because of the water being flicked from the wheel and off the road, spraying wd-40 on the plug stopped it for me and my mate when we had them, our bikes never set alight and he sprayed some on his exhaust by accident still no fire. Thumbs Up

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkangel wrote:
strange thing is that i have ridden in the rain before and never had a problem.
Also about WD40'ing the spark plug, isn't it an oil based product? could it ignite? and also surely water landing on the cylinder head would evaporate.

Once it stops raining ill have a look at the filter.

No wd 40 wont fire up. Sizzls nicely though when applied to a hot engine Laughing

Water does not have to be on the cyl head, its more likely to be running down the HT lead and then causing the spark plug to earth itself, which stops the spark.

Spary all the leads and coils as well. More likely to be them anyway.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, sounds like the rain is getting to your HT leads.

Bandits suffer from this too. Rolling Eyes

You can get 'fenda-extenda' extensions to your front mudguard (or make one yourself with an old car-mat etc) that prevents spray from your front tyre being directed onto your engine.

WD40 is good but probably won't cure it all the time. Oh and it won't catch fire like that either.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1