Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dont get caught speeding in Utah... bbbbZap!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

thinkingabout...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguing with police is a foolish, pointless, and possibly hazardous activity. They don't do debate. If he signed the bit of paper he would have been on his way in a moment. That said, mister policeman should take a long vacation.

edit: I read the response newsreport. If the man did put his hand in his pocket in response to the policeman's demands, he was seriously foolish. While policeman was severely lacking in the communications department, worse could have happened than tasering.

Last edited by thinkingaboutit on 23:40 - 24 Nov 2007; edited 1 time in total

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 24 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
california_rookie wrote:

In this country, we respect our police. They are not to be argued with or ignored. You do as they say, and if you believe they are in the wrong, you argue it in court. If you fight back you will be tased, maced, etc. Not too complicated a system in my opinion.

Sounds like fear rather than respect Neutral

Fear in a police state! Neutral
I wonder how many poor people living in a ghetto or trailer park would agree with california_rookie's statement. Or does the USA have good legal aid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

powelly wrote:

Ok simple question then, if the cop was so right in his action why did he lie to his collegue about the events that had happened?

The only thing I saw as less than accurate was the part about him "jumping around" or whatever it was. Seemed more like an exaggeration to me. Regardless, that's why the dash cam is there.

mr jamez wrote:
Sounds like fear rather than respect Neutral

Couldn't be farther from the truth. I've had several personal experiences with traffic officers, all of which have been pleasant and uneventful, due in part to my behaving appropriately for the given situation. Which does not include arguing with or ignoring an officer of the law.

craigie b wrote:
So your police are dictators?If the police man in question ordered you to jump of a cliff would you do it then argue your case in court?

I'd a friend who was in Miami, a nurse at that, who stopped at the scene of an accident, as she is ethically obliged too and then get arrested as the perpetrator of the accident.

She got handcuffed and slung in police cells, then transferred to a fucking prison until the court hearing. She was then forced to endure three days of being repeatedly told she had to sign a document admitting guilt or they would not let her go. She got handcuffed next to fucking murderers whilst being transferred, got subjected to regular man handling and refused any access to a telephone to contact the British Embassy, family or lawyer.

It wasn't until her family actually was able to locate her that she finally got a lawyer, who is still fighting to prove her innocence.

Had she done as the police ordered, which was in this case admit to causing the accident then she could have lost her job in the UK for having a criminal record.

The cop could have tried to get compliance using tact and intelligence instead of brutalising a guy for breaking a speed limit.

Innocent till proven guilty, my arse Rolling Eyes

A patronizing comment followed by two paragraphs of hearsay. What exactly do you want me to say to that?

craigie b wrote:

Thats not actually true.......

Quote:
In the event that a motorist refuses to sign, a trooper can simply write "refuses to sign" on the citation, which is then given to the driver, or they can chose to arrest the motorist

https://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7531125

The officer could have handed the ticket to the driver unsigned. More over, its unlikely a man with a heavily pregnant wife and 15 month old child is going to lead the police on a high speed chase over a speeding ticket. I'd call it a fairly safe educated guess, but who knows.

Even the regulations on the use of a taser, which are....

Quote:
* When a person is a threat to themselves, an officer or another person.
* In cases where the physical use of force would endanger the person or someone else.
* When other means of lesser or equal force by the officer has been ineffective and a threat still exists.

Exactly which one of these reasons could you cite as his definitive use of the taser?

While that is technically true, it's far from encouraged. And what would you rather he have done aside from using the taser, wrestle the man out of the car inches from his wife and child, then cuff him while in traffic? Yeah, that's much better. When someone walks away from an officer, in the direction of an escape vehicle, refusing to comply with the officer's orders and reaching into his pocket, that's when cops get killed. Regardless of who's in the vehicle and what's in his pocket. Standard police procedure. He should just be glad it was today and with a taser, rather than 20 years ago and with a real gun and no blooper reel.

And the US is pretty damned far from being a police state.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 05:39 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A patronizing comment followed by two paragraphs of hearsay. What exactly do you want me to say to that?

My initial point stands. You say you should follow police orders unquestionably. I gave you an example and you refuse to answer it-would you jump of a cliff if ordered by a police man? Its not patronising, its a fair question. How about justifying your stance rather than simply throwing mud?

Quote:
And what would you rather he have done aside from using the taser, wrestle the man out of the car inches from his wife and child, then cuff him while in traffic?

I hoped you'd point that out, as it suggests you can only see violence as the only other possible solution when without much thought there were two other very easy options.

1.Write "refused to sign" on the ticket and hand it to the motorist.

2.Calm the guy down, by not shouting at him. Ask the other officer to secure the vehicle and engage the wife in conversation. Ask him to move off the road so they can then discuss the issue. If he felt a married man, pregnant wife and 15 month year old child were that much of a threat, then politely inform the man that before proceeding to the sign he would like to search him for weapons. Walk the guy back and spend 5 minutes showing him the sign, get him to agree he was speeding and then sign the ticket. The trooper gets a result whilst the guy would probably apologise.

All in all, the above idea would have been a far more efficient use of the Troopers time and a far more intelligent approach than simply bullying and violence.

Instead, the guy gets tasered, whilst still on the road, so the guy is actually in more danger from being hit by a vehicle as he lies convulsing on the floor whilst putting his wife and children through considerable stress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
powelly wrote:

Ok simple question then, if the cop was so right in his action why did he lie to his collegue about the events that had happened?

The only thing I saw as less than accurate was the part about him "jumping around" or whatever it was. Seemed more like an exaggeration to me.

OK lets use your word not mine for another real world example, if you were pulled over while traveling within the speed limit and the police officer exagerates you speed and claims you were speeding, would you argue you case or simply bend over and accept it?

california_rookie wrote:

Regardless, that's why the dash cam is there.

Are you sugesting that cops cant be trusted?

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 10:27 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

powelly wrote:

Yes the police in this country are dirty and untrustworthy.

All they want is the adrenaline rush.

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 26 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
powelly wrote:

Yes the police in this country are dirty and untrustworthy.

All they want is the adrenaline rush.

are you sure your in the same country as calafornia rookie? maybe you dont see it if you grew up there.

Anyway

cops on a forum discussing the same incident

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, craigie, I wouldn't jump off a fucking cliff if an officer asked me to. What are you, fucking five? And all that crap you rattled off that the officer should have done are not his job to do. Officers of the law are not babysitters for those with less common sense than fingers on thier hands. You can cry on all fucking day about how it wasn't fair, etc. etc. but, at the end of the day, the officer did his job as he was instructed to do it and how I would expect it to be done were I in the "suspect's" position.

powelly, it's not bending over and accepting it if you fight it in court. The fact is, that right there, with the officer, in the street, is not the place to argue your case. Regardless, I don't believe that's what was happening in the video, assuming that's what you were getting at. And yes, surprisingly enough, I don't believe all cops are to be trusted, as they are only human. Which is why I think the dash cam's are a great idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
No, craigie, I wouldn't jump off a fucking cliff if an officer asked me to.

what would you do then? argue the case in court?

One minute your saying you would do as an office said, the next you "wouldn't jump off a fucking cliff" so there is a line that if crossed you would argue your case with the officer at the side of the road.

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there is, powelly. The officer was not asking the man to jump off a cliff. He was asking him to sign a ticket, which appears to me to be legitimate. There's a pretty stark contrast between the two. Don't go down the same childish path as craigie, please.

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
Of course there is, powelly. The officer was not asking the man to jump off a cliff. He was asking him to sign a ticket, which appears to me to be legitimate. There's a pretty stark contrast between the two. Don't go down the same childish path as craigie, please.

Im not going down a childish path simply pointing out what seems to be a fairly major u-turn in your argument, you started by saying do as the officer says and argue it in court, now it seems there are some cases where you would flat out refuse to do what an officer instructs you to do.

You should not have to do what an officer instructs you with out question, thats not what they are there for, You should be able to ask an officer to explain his actions and given a chance to read any paperwork you are required to sign.

Personally I would not have signed the ticket until I had read what it contained. Id have been more polite than the guy in the video above but Im not sure that on this day with that officer it would have made any difference.

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're fucking kidding me, right? Do you not see the difference in signing a ticket and jumping off a cliff? For fuck's sake. Why am I even replying to this shit...

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
You're fucking kidding me, right? Do you not see the difference in signing a ticket and jumping off a cliff? For fuck's sake. Why am I even replying to this shit...

You dont get it do you, signing a ticket and jumping off a cliff are extreams at either end of a fine scale at some point along that scale you change from doing as you are told to arguing your case with the cop.

Or do you think your not entitled to disagree with a cop for anything less than instructing you to jump off a cliff?

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word it however you want, your point is absurd. I didn't think I needed to add "within reason" to my original post. I just assumed everyone posessed it. Thanks for proving me wrong.

thinkingabout...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cop's career guidance teacher should be tazered. This is a man without communication skills.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2