Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermoto, weekend toy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:39 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Supermoto, weekend toy? Reply with quote

Ive always fancied a supermoto and now that ive passed my test i think i can get something semi decent.

Friend of mine has a Gas Gas 250sm 2t and id love to have a supermoto for a weekend toy, wondering if anyone could suggest a suitable bike for me. It would be:

Used weekend/dry days only. Road:99%
Very little if any off roading.
Being a weekend toy i want it to be fun/powerful. Big minger wheelies everywhere etc Very Happy
Id be getting around a 2000/1 model

Could get around 1200/1300 to spend.

Would love a Gas Gas 250 SM but wanted to see any othe rpossabilities first.

Cheers, Eddy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get anything decent you'd be looking at more than £1200-£1300.

If you look at anything converted the wheels, tires and brakes are likely to have cost more than that alone.

Even a low level older CCM with a Rotax motor will set you back £1800+ in good nick. Only thing I've ever seen for that money was an m.o.tless scruffy CCM for £1300.

Save up a couple of grand and get yourself something decent, i was looking at a 2003 250 Gas Gas supermoto like your mates for 2k, it was mint.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:53 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Re: Supermoto, weekend toy? Reply with quote

Wouldn't really consider the bigger CCMs a 'serious' supermoto, even with rotax engines.

I was considering selling my Husaberg in need of a bit of work for that sort of money, if it only had one set of wheels, so if you don't mind putting a bit of effort in, reckon you can find something.

If you want something pretty scary, could keep an eye out for a converted 500cc mx bike. Seen them for that sort of price quite a bit.

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:21 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures/info on the bike G?

What type of work would need doing?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:53 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2002 Husaberg 501E. Needs a new cam chain and a thread helicoiling at least. While in there, I'd be poking about and doing a bit of a service as well.

I'm quite liking the idea of keeping it and getting it sorted to be honest; my CCM leaves me wanting a bit more, though with the fair-bit-better specs of the 'berg I'll probably be left feeling like the bike's doing it all Razz.

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:05 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats never a bad thing Smile

so what gear will it wheelie up to?

Another problem may be i live in average post code and ive had one crash at 18 so im thinking i may be fairly 'high risk' Evil or Very Mad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:31 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bike that can wheelie will wheelie through all the gears starting from a low gear if you're good enough Smile.

My 'berg will power wheelie in third and clutch-wheelie in fourth (just about) with Supermoto gearing on (top speed of about 110mph in sixth).

Note that bikes like these are pretty high maintenance; they are competition bikes, basically.

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:43 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a problem, whats genrally meant by maintence?

Im fine changing the oil every 3k or something stupid like that but not if its a full engine rebuild by the time you get th the end of your road Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:39 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change every 3k? Laughing.

That's not far off a commuter-bike.

Try every 3-10 hours, depending on level of use.

The 2 strokes are better for maintenance as they're relatively less tuned, some of the newer 4 strokes aren't too bad too.
Remember these are /competition/ bikes that you happen to be using on the road. You can get tamer and much heavier road bike supermotos that are more reasonable 1000-1500 mile intervals, but these tend to still be pretty expensive.

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:17 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lollll Laughing

you must have to stop riding half way to well, anywhere to do a service ffs Very Happy

The lad with the GG 250 says he does the oil 2-3k and pistons etc every 6 or something or other. Now that isnt bad performance wise but I thought a 4 stroke sm would be much less maintenance surely? or have they been tuned to give 2 stroke power?

i may just have to stick with the zxr400 and do a service everytime the engine blows Mr. Green

So G, what can u recomend that has more than a 3 minute service interval? id pref like something thats around 1k-1.5

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:03 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas gas only uses it's oil for the gearbox, the 4 stroke oil is also used in the engine.
While the 'berg is a 501cc (similar to 300cc 2 strokes), it is in relatively higher state of tune than the 2 strokes.
Remember, the oil you're changing on the 4 stroke is getting burnt on the 2 stroke, which you'll have to pre-mix or top up.

Anyway, yes, it is a myth that 4 strokes are more reliable Smile.
If it does go badly wrong, have worst rebuild-costs for the 4 stroke too.

Have a look at the KTM 625 and 660SMC range for a road biased bike. However you're talking something getting on for 50% more weight than the Gas Gas, though probably a bit easier to ride power-wise.

gamerboy
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:27 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of some pics of the gas gas 250 ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have a look at the KTM 625 and 660SMC range for a road biased bike.

Because, of course, one of those is gonna pop up for a tenner. Rolling Eyes Wink

Quote:
any chance of some pics of the gas gas 250?

The one I rode looked like this:

https://img516.imageshack.us/img516/645/04sm250sx2.jpg

Quote:
I was considering selling my Husaberg in need of a bit of work for that sort of money

G, there are loads of Husqvarnas and Husabergs for 'that sort of money', 'in need of a bit of work' on E-bay, all have the similar characteristic of no one wanting to touch the fucking things with bargepoles.

I reaffirm my original point, you will not get a supermoto worth bothering with for below £1800, especially not one that's not going to explode every ten minutes. Even G's CCM 404 cost him 2k.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:35 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

I reaffirm my original point, you will not get a supermoto worth bothering with for below £1800, especially not one that's not going to explode every ten minutes. Even G's CCM 404 cost him 2k.

Forgot about the monetary limit regarding the KTMs - my bad, though wouldn't really consider them that 'decent' supermotos really, anyway. Nor would I count my CCM as that for that matter - it's fun for me to ride and nicely thrashable, but not that 'super' in the power department.

The Husaberg's etc can be reliable if you don't mind spending money on maintenance etc. In the end, if you want a silly bike then you're looking at a competition one and are going to have to keep to a competition style service schedule, which is going to cost time and money.

So, back to the converted mx bikes and similar Smile.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Though I don't believe our OP realises just how bad the maintenance and rebuilds on them are. My friend had a 510 Husky converted to SM, he changed the oil after every rideout, filter every two. It was coming up for a rebuild at around 3,000 miles, fortunately it got written off by a third party so he didn't have to pay up for the bits Laughing

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:16 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Il admit i knew you had to service/maintain them more often than normal road going bikes but i wasnt quite expecting the service interval to be in hours Surprised Laughing

Any examples of converted mx bikes? im presuming theyre similer on the service/maintance?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyJones wrote:

Any examples of converted mx bikes? im presuming theyre similer on the service/maintance?

If you go the 2 stroke route, they aren't quite so bad usually, especially if you're doing relatively gentle riding.

A cr500 supermoto on ebay. I'd expect it'd probably be above your budget if he was selling it as 'working' as it's quite a recent bike.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm... CR500 = beast. A few bits to do on that, but it'd be a nice little project bike to get going with, plus it'd be faster than pretty much anything when it was finished. So long as you could hold onto it. Wink

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:46 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often would the oil/pistons etc need changing?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 30 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh?

Quote:
500cc two-strokes require a lot of maintenance. My 2001 CR500 has had 4 pistons and 2 cylinders. The cylinder is boreable... provided it doesn't crack.

Pistons crack, pipes crack, radiators crack, frames crack, every component is a victim of VIBRATION. I buy locktite by the 64oz bottle.

The 500's beat you up, wear you out, blister your hands, and give you headaches.

They are fun to polish, and fun to drag race, even fun to putt around on.

For REAL riding, they just aren't practical. Take it from a guy who's actually raced one. Sure I can pull away from a CRF450 as we exit a corner, but ultimately he'll be able to control the 450 longer then I can hang onto the CR500.

The powere is fun for a while, but it eventually becomes irritating always having to hang on for your life.

craigk47
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:58 - 01 Jan 2008    Post subject: CRF450 Supermoto Reply with quote

Hi, don't know whether your still looking for a supermoto or not but if so I'd definitely recommend a converted CRF450 after getting one myself this summer. There are loads on ebay and they don't really go for daft money. Service costs can be dear with the bike being a full on crosser but as long as your not expecting to do big miles using to commute or anything and keep on top of the oil changes i think they're well worth it. They don't weigh a thing, look great, sound great, are great to ride and you can gas up the front wheel without the clutch in 4th or 5th. The one in the picture's mine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:09 - 01 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: CRF450 Supermoto Reply with quote

Maybe not 'stupid' money, but the 450s would come in at a fair bit more than £1300 I'd have thought Confused.

Personally, I prefer having six gears for the road, which I don't think the crossers tend to have.

craigk47
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:26 - 01 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, your probably right. Think they tend to go closer to the 2 grand mark eh? Worth it for the smile factor though Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1