Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

US says it has right to kidnap British citizens

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: US says it has right to kidnap British citizens Reply with quote

Quote:
AMERICA has told Britain that it can “kidnap” British citizens if they are wanted for crimes in the United States.

A senior lawyer for the American government has told the Court of Appeal in London that kidnapping foreign citizens is permissible under American law because the US Supreme Court has sanctioned it.

link

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the EU constitution has to say about this and if they can do it to?

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a jolly fine New World Order. Thanks Amerika, home of democracy, freedom and liberty.

And the UK can't wait to scramble aboard that nazi bandwagon.

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 404 days to go.

SoND, I guess you mean...will the EU just pick people up in this country/state and take them to Germany for trial without requesting permission from the UK government?
Well there wont really be a UK government and no borders either, so they probably could if they wanted to but there should be no reason to do that. The important point to remember is that we will no longer have UK common law, we will be wholly subject to EU law, but in courts located in this state of the EU.

Philious
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:43 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly worrying americas juristiction seems to be global, it is neo nazism on a hitleresque scale....

Next thing you know they'll be adding tonnes of new laws so they can execise their new juristiction in foriegn countries more often slowly eeking their way to global domination....

If germany was the axis of evil in ww2 when ww3 comes dont be surprised if Britain is helping China, Russia, France etc to annihilate the corrupt United Sissys Alliance oh I mean U.S.A. duh Rolling Eyes

Never has there been such a dense country and thats not the population thats the people.

/Rant about american nazism

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 08:32 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah theres my master plan out the window Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:25 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipk wrote:

If germany was the axis of evil in ww2 when ww3 comes dont be surprised if Britain is helping China, Russia, France etc to annihilate the corrupt United Sissys Alliance oh I mean U.S.A. duh Rolling Eyes

There is two reasons why that will never happen.

A) Britain will always support America, we owe them a lot and they are our ally whether we like it or not.

B) "WW3" Wouldn't involve spitfires, panza's and D-Day esque landings, it would involve one red button and a mad leaders finger.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the US economy is going down the pan , just look at Mcgee's troubles with the USD , it is quickly becoming worthless and weaker all the time , due to trade deficit , countries buying less of it , and constant fiat printing out of more of it.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 12:33 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:

B) "WW3" Wouldn't involve spitfires, panza's and D-Day esque landings, it would involve one red button and a mad leaders finger.

reminds me of the einstein quote

einstein wrote:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

More likely to involve men on the ground than mutual self destruction. I've read UK generals comments that the the middle east is teetering on the brink of a war that would be large enough in size to call WW3.

Nobody would profit from MAD, lots of global co's would profit from a large scale ground war.

An interesting point of view is this also....The modernisation of the UK army can be seen as pointless given the way current wars are being fought. Rather than less men and more hi tech weapons, soldiers are commenting that more men and cheaper, mass produced planes/weapons would be better for mass assualt's in places like Afghanistan.

Just my cynical opinion of course.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:

An interesting point of view is this also....The modernisation of the UK army can be seen as pointless given the way current wars are being fought. Rather than less men and more hi tech weapons, soldiers are commenting that more men and cheaper, mass produced planes/weapons would be better for mass assualt's in places like Afghanistan.

Just my cynical opinion of course.

Somebody I think Churchill said:

There are two methods of war , manueavor and slaughter, the more one relies on manueavuer the less one has to rely upon slaughter.

Additionaly there is ALWAYS a tipping point in weapons,

That is inferior weapons used in mass numbers can defeat modern weapons , infantry rushes still worked in Korea and to some extent in Vietnam, in 1916/ 1918 if instead of 1 million men 25 million men rushed the german lines war would be over at a terrible cost.

Mao understood this since his weapons were not very good he relied on human wave attacks, which were kinda nasty to the UN forces in Korea.

The thing is the higher the technological edge the more you need to out number the enemy, T34 vs Panzers for example.

EDIT more men , and cheaper mass produced stuff probably won't work as we can't race to the bottom faster than other nations.

Though we probably should have bought Ak47s and upgraded them instead of spent £2500 on EACH SA-80. or even M16s
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:01 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wouldn't need to kidnap them anyway. They just need to ask our government and they'll just send them over.

Look at the case of those bankers who were supposedly 'involved' in the whole enron thing.

Two UK citizens were extradited to the US to face charges under American law for an offence that was committed in the UK and was not illegal under UK law. This went through all the UK courts and the European court and they were still sent.

Now that is all kinds of wrong!

So beware people. Just because something isn't illegal in your own country doesn't mean your own government wont ship you across to another country where it is illegal so they can prosecute you for it.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They wouldn't need to kidnap them anyway. They just need to ask our government and they'll just send them over.

Look at the case of those bankers who were supposedly 'involved' in the whole enron thing.

Two UK citizens were extradited to the US to face charges under American law for an offence that was committed in the UK and was not illegal under UK law. This went through all the UK courts and the European court and they were still sent.

Now that is all kinds of wrong!

So beware people. Just because something isn't illegal in your own country doesn't mean your own government wont ship you across to another country where it is illegal so they can prosecute you for it.

Indeed, that was an outrage. But tempered by the fact the guys who were sent were fat-cat scum who'd been caught with their snouts very deep in the trough, legal or otherwise. On a scale of 1 to 100 my sympathy for them rates at around the minus-10 mark.

Makaveli_Rydah
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:03 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipk wrote:
Slightly worrying americas juristiction seems to be global, it is neo nazism on a hitleresque scale....

Next thing you know they'll be adding tonnes of new laws so they can execise their new juristiction in foriegn countries more often slowly eeking their way to global domination....

Never has there been such a dense country and thats not the population thats the people.

/Rant about american nazism

Unlikely - at their current rate of financial descnet and political unrest , within a few years there will be no USA , not as it stands now anyway .

They DO want a N.A.U - North American Union ( usa / canada / mexico ) just like the E.U - the financial anihilation of the states is being engineered by the Federal Reserve so that the NAU is easily set up and they can bring in the new currency - The Amero .

It's all about globalization Exclamation

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most amusing part is to read some of the half-witted responses from Americans trying to justify it. Generally it revolves around the argument, "It's been like this for centuries, therefore it's okay!" Rolling Eyes

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making sure I understand this correctly; You all are against criminals facing justice simply because you share the same country?

I'm not sure I like the idea of someone coming over here, committing a crime, then running back home and calling "safe" like it's a game of tag. And committing crimes in another country from the safety of your own isn't much better, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
Just making sure I understand this correctly; You all are against criminals facing justice simply because you share the same country?

I'm not sure I like the idea of someone coming over here, committing a crime, then running back home and calling "safe" like it's a game of tag. And committing crimes in another country from the safety of your own isn't much better, either.

No we have extradition treaties for that, that has always seemed to work for civilised societys.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:

We have the civilised principle here of "Innocent until proved guilty", and don't cotton to the idea of your average psychotic, sub-human, nazi 'law' enforcement scumbags coming into our country and kidnapping our citizens.

Amerika needs a change of administration, right sharpish, or it needs to be brought down as a country. Mad dogs running riot, and we're all pretty sick to our back teeth with it, especially the being-dragged-along bit because our own leaders don't have the moral fibre to stand up to it.

Fvcking nazi republican filth.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:49 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:

Nor do we. Hence people get annoyed should another government send its people over here to commit a crime (kidnapping) and then running home to their safe haven.

As mentioned there are extradition treaties.

What about situations where the "crime" is not actually illegal in the country it was commited it? How about the UK kidnapping, say, the head of the NRA and prosecuting them for firearms offences?

All the best

Keith

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:

Okay, look at this way. How would you feel if you were jumped on your way to work and woke up hours later in a rat infested Chinese dungeon. You're innocent but, shit, what are the chances of you proving it?

Extradition treaties exist for a reason.

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, for the record, I 100% agree that there about fourty other better ways to go about bringing someone in a foreign country to justice, especially one that is normally as cooperative as the UK has been with the US in this regard but, honestly, defending criminals who are trying to escape justice by fleeing back to their homeland rather than face the charges against them? It's not as if we imprision people in rat infested dungeons over here...with the exception of 'terrorists'...but let's not even get into that right now. And what about those that are brazen enough to fly back to the country neighboring the one in which the crime was committed? Honestly, that's just tempting fate.

Kickstart, it's not as if we're coming over and busting some 19-year-old kid for what we consider underage drinking (our drinking age being 21) in your neighborhood pub. The article read to me as if it were a foreigner who had committed an offense on our soil, using electronic means, from another location. If Charlton Heston got on his computer and remotely controlled a .50 caliber sniper rifle, using it to snipe English ground squirrels, I'd be the first one calling for him to be shipped over there to face the music. Even though it's perfectly legal to hunt varmints with large caliber weapons over here, just ask McGee, it is presumably very much not legal there and he should be dealt with accordingly. Using technology to extend your presence to another location is the same as being there. Well, in my mind it is.

Last edited by california_rookie on 06:40 - 05 Dec 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 06:13 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie, you miss the point entirely.

Nobody is defending criminals and you need to make that distinction. Until you have proven someone guilty their not criminal. That means they should be entitled to an extradition process.

IMO the people on this board are instead upset, as I am, that the US has decided to grant itself 'rights' in the UK even if it means breaking UK law. I mean kidnapping, for fecks sakes.

If a crime has been committed and you have the evidence to support your case then why do you need to kidnap them in the first place? As pointed out the UK already extradites its citizens for non UK crimes back to the US so why does the US need to announce 'we have a legal right to kidnap British citizens?

To me, its an example of the USA arrogance. Not even Russia would stand in Public and say 'its in our law to have the right to kidnap our allies citizens'. More over, it shows how much contempt the US has for other nations. It means your country is not even prepared to allow allied nationals the luxury of their own rights in their own country.

If a crime has been committed then use the tried and tested means that is legal in every other civilised country to bring the person to justice.

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
It's not as if we imprision people in rat infested dungeons over here...with the exception of 'terrorists'...but let's not even get into that right now.

Actually you raise an important issue as to why its so important to allow citizens an fair extradition treaty, Those 'terrorists' as you put it are often 'suspected terrorist' another name for which is 'innocent civilian' until of course, guilt can be proved.

Here we have an example of a british man who was held for 5 years in Guantanamo Bay without charge, so your suggesting that a British Citizen SUSPECTED of a crime could be picked up off the streets of a UK town swept of to GitMo, without the hastle of evidence and paperwork and there is very little that could be done about it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:35 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
but, honestly, defending criminals who are trying to escape justice by fleeing back to their homeland rather than face the charges against them?

Seems perfectly acceptable when the crime is commited by US citizens in an allied country.

https://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-02-28-cia-agents_x.htm

Also the USA has refused to extradite IRA terrorists in the past.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It often makes you wonder considering there is no real quo pro quo as to what dirt the CIA has on Blair/Brown , other than the usual big swiss bank account.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2