This smoking ban hoo-ha

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 02:35 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points of the ban...
The smoking sin bin is actually really sociable and you meet and talk to people a fuckload more then anywhere else. Ive pulled birds ive met in them a couple of times now.

Thats good points over...
Bad points...
Clubs and bars now smell of sweat, fart, vomit, cheap perfume and spilt mixed booze. Nice... Infact i had NEVER noticed someone farting in a pub or club before the ban, now its like death zones.

Having to drag yourself away into the rain, where the law says you cannot bring your drink. So you have to leave it somewhere inside where it invariably gets nicked. If i EVER catch a cunt knabbing my pint, im going to beat them to death with a shoe.

Queing for the pleasure of sitting outside in the colds another fantastic one clubs here have elected to do. Not got to try the fun of it back home in england, but i bet its savage.

Anyhew, as stinkwheel says, the benefits are pretty much bollocks. Only two reasons i quit is because the occasional bird coming up to me and sniffing me with a disgusted look on her face because ive just had a fag isnt as endearing as they bloody think. And because i object to dropping between 10-25 quid a week extra on burnt sticks.

Problem is, i LOVE smoking. And i can quit pretty easily when i have the motivation. But whenever i go abroad i always smoke. And pretty heavily. Usually because im on a budget and a pack of 20 for a quid is alot cheaper then buying a chocice everytime you get bored during the day, and because sitting on a beach with a cold beer and a fag just makes sense...
So there.

What i object to is this nonsense of second hand smoke being a serious health hazard. Most clubs didnt allow smoking at the bar anyway, and like i say it made it smell nicer paradoxically then without em. And almost all the second hand smoke causing cancer papers tend to reference the same paper that was debunked by most experts. And i really cant be arsed trawling through the penn and teller on it, but it was in there definitely.
And as a NON-SMOKER once put it, the next step will be banning the loud music. Loud music in clubs WILL fuck your hearing, and it stops people having conversations. If you dont want loud music you dont go to a club. The reason we have loud music is people enjoy it, just as they enjoy having a fag with their beer.
And the serious killer is having to walk past a bouncer everytime you want a fag when you're pilling (nicotine seriously helps the rush/coming up) which doesnt exactly help.

Sooner i can get out of britain the better.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny, whilst I agree about the loud music it's not really the same as smoking. How many no-smoking pub/clubs were there before the ban? I don't know of a single one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sagiliam
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:37 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they should of done, in order to satisfy everyone (well the majority, because some you jusy cannot keep happy).
Is either introduce Smoking bars/pubs/clubs and non smoking bars/pubs/clubs.
OR introduce a smoking license, which if a pub/club chooses to can obtain a license to allow smoking indoors.
I bet your bottom dollar a large majority of the pubs/clubs would apply for this license because it means mucho business.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 21:46 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagiliam wrote:
What they should of done, in order to satisfy everyone (well the majority, because some you jusy cannot keep happy).
Is either introduce Smoking bars/pubs/clubs and non smoking bars/pubs/clubs.
OR introduce a smoking license, which if a pub/club chooses to can obtain a license to allow smoking indoors.
I bet your bottom dollar a large majority of the pubs/clubs would apply for this license because it means mucho business.

Exactly, publicans would jsut see it as an extra charge and be up in arms. Although assuming they priced it up high most punters wouldnt mind an extra 10-15p a pint if the pubs were few and far between.

And silver i used to no plenty of non-smoking pubs, bars etc. Not many clubs admittedly but most had areas you couldnt smoke in. Plus clubs are huge, so its not exactly like you're walking through a fog unlike some pubs.

but i dont think anyone, even a non-smoker can say its made night outs any more enjoyable whatsoever. And whilst people smoke less while they're out in clubs/pubs perhaps, im sure the number of people who smoke generally hasn't gone down. And like i say now its almost more depressing if you've quit, cos you often have to either lose your friends or follow them into a small enclosure of smoking in the cold.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 21:57 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Bonny, whilst I agree about the loud music it's not really the same as smoking. How many no-smoking pub/clubs were there before the ban? I don't know of a single one.

I know of a couple that were no smoking before the ban - Wetherspoons in Bath has been completely non smoking for a few years (even before the talk of a ban). It was always heaving with people not wanting to stink like smoke. There's another pub I liked to frequent that was non smoking for at least a year before the ban too.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
And silver i used to no plenty of non-smoking pubs, bars etc. Not many clubs admittedly but most had areas you couldnt smoke in. Plus clubs are huge, so its not exactly like you're walking through a fog unlike some pubs.

I'm not saying they didn't exist, but there were none around here. I take your point on "proper" clubs, but I was thinking more like the ones you find in your average high street.

It never really bothered me consciously because I was brought up with it and I was used to it. Still, if I'm going to inhale someone else's drugs why can't it be something useful like coke... Shifty Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:30 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

but i dont think anyone, even a non-smoker can say its made night outs any more enjoyable whatsoever. And whilst people smoke less while they're out in clubs/pubs perhaps, im sure the number of people who smoke generally hasn't gone down. And like i say now its almost more depressing if you've quit, cos you often have to either lose your friends or follow them into a small enclosure of smoking in the cold.

It hasn't made my night outs any more enjoyable, but it is nice not having smoke ridden clothes the next morning.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 00:10 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:

It hasn't made my night outs any more enjoyable, but it is nice not having smoke ridden clothes the next morning.

Aye, but i bet you have smoking mates that are always disappearing.

ONLY good point is less fag burns. Although those smoking pits get savage when they're busy.

And i hear you on the drugs joe, but you clothes would still smell if everyone was smoking copious quantities of ganja Wink

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:13 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well luckily enough, all of my course mates don't smoke, not even socially, so kind of glad I quit smoking before uni cause I would have looked quite an outcast, a couple of my housemates smoke and i've just grown to detest them for it cause they smoke in the house and even when I smoked i'd never smoke in the house as the smell of stale smoke in the morning makes me wretch.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2