Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Windows XP EventLog Problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dabigginger
Crazy Courier



Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 09 Dec 2007    Post subject: Windows XP EventLog Problems Reply with quote

I'm trying to sort this problem with my laptop right now. Since about a week or two ago, the computer would freeze up after loading Windows within a couple of minutes. I could move the mouse pointer, but can't select anything. The clock stops and the hard disk light stays on and I can hear the hard disk clicking away from time to time.

I have tried using system restore to on several previous dates before this happened with no joy - even ones from a few months back and it has made no difference. After a lot of trial and error using msconfig in safe mode, I turned off the EventLog in the Services tab, which seems to have stopped this from happening.

However, since doing this, I cannot use the Norton Internet security! It just won't open on startup! If the EventLog is running, the Norton comes on, but of course, the computer freezes up within a few minutes.

I would try re-installing the Norton (it comes as part of my broadband package), but unfortunately I can't access the BT download site as my browser is too old (Firefox 1.0.4). The newer versions of Firefox won't work, nor will Internet Explorer.

I would rather avoid having to get a new computer just yet, so can anyone think of what I can do to get this old computer running properly again? Thank you in advance!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try booting from the XP CD (i'm assuming XP) and do a repair install.

This will put back all the windows files to a good state while retaining all of your settings.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA_old
Nova Slayer



Joined: 06 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That suks matey.

I had the same prob with a lappy of mine a few munfs back.
The main thing that causes a pc to freeze is heat.
Check all the fans are spinning, and if you can boot to safe mode with networking then u can back up all your stuff to another pc before you loose anything.

hope it helps, good luck
CaNsA
____________________
Everyone is entitled to MY opinion
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 36.03 Kb