Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ns125 Review (lol)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: Ns125 Review (lol) Reply with quote

Well, unless people build up the threads around the whole review thing nothing will happen, there are and will be loads of young kids getting 125's for many years, I'm hoping no one will forget this gem of a learner bike in the short future.

The bike: (1990 G reg)
Single cylinder liquid cooled 125 2 stoke,

Piccy

I can't comment on the NSR having never owned or ridden but hauling one about they are the same size and maybe just newer.

It's a light little thing but average weight for it's class, reliable and being a Honda nearly everywhere can get parts. Mine takes about £7/8 worth of petrol at todays prices to a full tank, smokes a little when very first started but that clears in no time and when it's warm it's ready for anything.

Speed wise it will happily do 70, have pushed it to 90 but being old I didn't want to walk home*, rebuilt the engine shortly after as I wasn't sure of last rebuild timing and not had the time for a re-run. Laughing (*Although the matlock run nearly ended that way)

Handling it's flickable in the corners and easy to get crocked over, keeping it there I need more practice the down side being these skinny tyres. Embarassed Obviously depending on the rubber it would handle better on decent stuff but my current Pirrelli MT75's aren't top notch.

Acceleration is nice, 0-60 in about 2 days(few seconds really Wink ) and it's happy, as long as the clutch is released in time it won't pop the front(not much when it does lol) but by the time you start to enjoy the sudden thrust(no jokes here) it's time to change up although the higher the gear the more time to enjoy the scenery whizzing past. Cool

Brakes...... They're good, but not cold, tried stoppies once cold and when they kicked in the rubber lost grip Laughing so a bit nervy. When they warm up they're awesome but probably not much compared to big bikes, for the engines potential I think they hold their own. Although if you like going fast often, brakes can be consumed quite easily as I found out. Rolling Eyes

Parts - Most shops will get parts for them in, if you can track a bike down. Not that cheap from Honda but Fleabay often has something floating around.

De restriction - As far as I know, mine only has a micron on and I don't even know about the jetting so I'm not going there, with the speed I've had I'm happy with it tho. Plus, I don't wanna strain the engine un-unnecessarily for a couple extra MPH/BHP - if it aint broke don't fix it. Smile

Fairing. Made form some plasticy fiberglass stuff they scuff/crack/snap easily and aren't cheap, an after market set is advisable as you would and I have come off a few times.

Accessories, not my thing so tarting it up isn't my department, I kept it pretty much standard although the seat converter is a bitch to get hold of for that sporty track like look.

Got it over a year ago and had roughly 17,000 on the clock, now got 28,000 and I paid £550, form near portsmouth and brought it back in the bot of an average family saloon car with the seats down, but most bits unbolted and taken off, including the front wheel/forks. If anyone wants to add to this, feel free or want to ask specific questions PM or post. Thumbs Up

In conclusion, it's a good starter/learner bike if not a tad older but it's no Blade and never would be.

Steve.

Last edited by st3v3 on 17:31 - 05 Jan 2008; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:44 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats all very well, but its hard to review a bike when its the only one you've ridden... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the only one I've ridden, unless you mean this model of bike. I've ridden a couple of different bikes but I still think you guys understand what I mean and if more people do the same and compare similar bikes the objective becomes achievable. Wink

Madmanx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 86 model 15 years ago and I,d rag it around Edinburgh city centre and whip the tzr,s that were out at the time.
Great little bike ,never had any problems with it.
Had to stop wheelyin it about through traffic when my wife told me she was pregnant.(time to be a responsible dad) Well it lasted a while but you can,t do it for ever.
Saying that my son is thirteen now. Just got back on the bikes last year.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:09 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need a conclusion really.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:07 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: Ns125 Review (lol) Reply with quote

They should sit at around 75-80 all day long. Top speed of mine was about 88, though I believe that was with me lying along the bike, feet out the back. About 85 normally.
Remember; 2 strokes like to be revved! The person I got my RD off told me "oh, I never get to the redline because it's all 40s around here" - well, first redlines before that, so that's no excuse Smile. After a couple of days of me riding it there was a noticable increase in power and response as it cleared up a bit.
Of course 2 strokes can vary a bit more in their level of performance than 4 strokes.

Your comment about the brakes seems to be in relation to the tyres, not the brakes. They do have quite skinny tyres, however these are fine if you have decent rubber on them.
Mine would stoppy from cold no problems.

If yours has a micron on and you haven't checked the jetting, you might actually be damaging it. However, I believe that was one of the standard ways to 'derestrict' it and it'll probably be ok.
Sorting the jetting should the engine running properly, which will give you better performance, not worse.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, haven't really looked into it tbh, will do some research and get it checked. This does 80 if you push it although riding it today it seems a little lagging from set off unless there's a bit of clutch to rev it off, would this be 'in sync' with the micron(which it has) - jetting issue?

Ta. Thumbs Up

Oh and manxscot, that's an import NSR. Wink

Last edited by st3v3 on 19:01 - 05 Jan 2008; edited 1 time in total

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

loved mine to bits, still miss it now Sad

never broke down on me, and loved to be thrashed, saw an indicated 100mph on it regularly and engine had a lot of mid power for wheelies etc.

100mph was shown on my clocks and on my mates clocks following me on an SV 650 down the A50 (huuuge road)

KD fun was a laugh seeing as i'm 6'2 and don't need to lean Laughing Laughing

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/lllN30lll/Image026.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/lllN30lll/MyPictures0008.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/lllN30lll/MyPictures0051.jpg

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What inspired the tail unit conversion?

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno mate, a mate of mine crashed his mito, so I had the front off him and mounted some lights behind it, then saw an oldschool mito rear and fitted that as well.

looked a right mess but it was fun.

pics are here https://bikepics.com/members/Neolyptic/93nsr125/

the number plate was also on a motor, you can see the switch on the yoke, it would rotate it 180 degree's as you can see in my KD pic above.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembered the pic from a post last year or so, about the plate flippin and mentioned it in the number plate post recently, nice idea. Wink

Reckon a common NSR would look nice with a MITO front fairing...

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Remembered the pic from a post last year or so, about the plate flippin and mentioned it in the number plate post recently, nice idea. Wink

Reckon a common NSR would look nice with a MITO front fairing...

https://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2002%5C07%5C16%5Cbikepics-31936-full.jpghttps://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2004%5C05%5C25%5Cbikepics-155427-full.jpg

I did have the whole fairing on mate, looked good.

but it rubbed on the wheel so had to just stick to top fairing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1