Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Choices, choices...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

.Chris.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Choices, choices... Reply with quote

Took my CD200 out for a good ride today and pretty much instantly decided I need a new bike, it's just too damn slow. I was constantly ragging the crap out of it and still only managing (just) to maintain 45mph on the hills.

So, went to a local bike breakers and they have 2 bikes that take my fancy...

Honda CD250U - can't believe I managed to find one, basically the CD200 with 50 extra cc (21bhp instead of 16), 5-speed box and a front disc. This one has a massive dent in the tank but apart from that looks pretty good. Not sure on the price but can't be more than a few hundred.

Yamaha XS400 Custom - very good condition with a nice motad exhaust. Felt pretty nice sitting on it with a comfy riding position although the rubber-mounted bars feel a bit strange. Only 25k miles on the clock, they want £550 for it.

I can't decide which one... I'm leaning towards the CD250U (having wanted one ever since I got the CD200) but I don't know if it might not be much of a step up. The XS400 is a much bigger bike but then again much more powerful.

Help me!
____________________
Chris
1985 Kawasaki Z550F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: Choices, choices... Reply with quote

SZR660, you know you want it, you crazy eccentric fellow Wink
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be the 400 IMO. If you could sell the CD200 and buy the 250 as well though that would be better Wink . Then you have 2 bikes! woo.
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a problem with the CD200? My CD185T used to do 70+

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Is there a problem with the CD200? My CD185T used to do 70+

Mark

He said UPHILL Wink .
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure I went up hill without mopeds overtaking me Smile

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.Chris.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SZR660, you know you want it, you crazy eccentric fellow


Funny you should say that, they've got one of those for sale as well for £1150. If I had the money I'd buy one straight away, they're damn cool bikes.

I don't think there's a problem with the CD200, it will do about 70 on the flat, it's just when there's even a slight gradient it starts to struggle. The 45mph was on some pretty steep stuff on Dartmoor though.

I would be selling the CD200 in order to buy either of the bikes, dunno how much I'd get for it though - maybe £200-250?. I'm going to sell the superdream soon too, but again I'm not sure how much I'd get.
____________________
Chris
1985 Kawasaki Z550F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your RX-S go faster than the CD?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.Chris.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great deal of overall difference to be honest but they are both quite different bikes to ride.

The CD200 has much more low-end pull that makes it very pleasant to ride around town, but it doesn't respond particularly well to being thrashed. It's got a surprisingly meaty sound to it for such a small bike.

The RXS is more peaky which means you have to keep the revs higher, with more gear-changing and clutch slipping required. It seems to adore being thrashed to within an inch of its life, which makes it very fun when in the mood. If anything I'd say it accelerates a bit quicker than the CD if you get the takeoff and all the gearchanges spot on. You'll enjoy yours Thumbs Up


I'm seriously considering buying both of the bikes and seeing which one I like the best, although that depends on the price of the CD250. I suppose it's the only way I'll know which one I prefer...
____________________
Chris
1985 Kawasaki Z550F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 64.85 Kb