BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Police March

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Police March Reply with quote

Why was I not made aware of this? Yoo fukirz.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/23/view23b.xml

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about it.

Its cus the BBC now a New Labour puppet has been ordered to try and play it down as much as possible, (note I've not seen it on the front page of the BBC website).

and Zanulabour still thinks people trust the BBC.

Ironically a nulabour law outlaws such demos,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:48 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like the 40,000 POA Prison Officers who went on strike last year - who is going to arrest and imprison 25,000 coppers?

I think for most police the money involved is secondary to the fact that - like with the Prison Service - the government has been dishonest and broken a legally binding arrangement.

Mind-bogglingly, the government expects (while somehow keeping a straight face!) the other side of these agreements to keep to the original bargain - and screams blue murder when they suggest they might not!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 20 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7409679.stm

seems today is the day if they decide to strike or not, we should do our best NOT to support them.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 20 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, who's up for doing the north/south circular race?

First one to 125mph wins a teddy bear.

Moreover, do you think I'd get arrested for carrying a placard saying, 'You're all cunts" ??
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything which keeps the police force and the government from 'getting along too nicely' is a good thing in my book.

Supporting the coppers here, we'll want them on our side when it's time to oust these cretins.
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 06:59 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is that - and regardless of your feelings on coppers, the general principle is worth fighting for;

HMG undertook to follow the directions of the pay award panel, and in return the police gave up their right to strike.

HMG has decided that it no longer feels bound by the agreement, but it expects the police to hold up their end of the bargain!

This is something we see in a more metaphorical sense every day, but now that they have actually publicly scorned such an agreement, I think it's right that it is publicly highlighted, and publicly challenged.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:33 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
There is that - and regardless of your feelings on coppers, the general principle is worth fighting for;

What is this 1975? , if you don't like the job quit and find another, the rest of the working population seem to realise this.

And speaking about principles if they had any they wouldn't abuse so many laws (blue flashing lights on ermergency calls to the chippy if I saw they while walking I'd take a picture but I am always riding) , or would quit on principle in relation to dodgy laws, I did a few times...

Wayy back in the 90s I worked for a telesales co, it was selling fake loans and getting people to ring a £1 minute telephone number, I was disgusted and out the door by 930.

2005 or there abouts , this meat packing company they were putting diseased unfit for human consumption 'meat' into boxes of prime steak, 10% into each box. I left by the end of the day.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

a police strike would be interesting wouldnt it. Should shit the government up good and proper.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you imagine a Police strike?
The army would have to be patrolling the town centres and some suburbs would just become war zones.

Wow - Potentially some very interesting scenarios ahead!

Correction: The army would patrol Westminster while everywhere else would be left in anarchy for 1 day.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the police and prison service on this issue. Now if only the police would realise everyone is getting shafted by these scumbags maybe we'd be getting somewhere. One can only hope, eh.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:13 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Mister James wrote:

What is this 1975? , if you don't like the job quit and find another, the rest of the working population seem to realise this.

And speaking about principles if they had any they wouldn't abuse so many laws (blue flashing lights on ermergency calls to the chippy if I saw they while walking I'd take a picture but I am always riding) , or would quit on principle in relation to dodgy laws, I did a few times...

If you'd bothered to read the post properly, you'd have noted that the principle I was referring to was that HMG - having willing signed a legally binding agreement - should be held to account when it feels it is acceptable to publicly withdraw from its own obligations, but insists that the other party holds to theirs.

This principle is at the core of a lot of the complaints about the government on this forum - it speaks volumes about your own inability to distance yourself from your dislike for the police that you can't recognise that.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

If you'd bothered to read the post properly, you'd have noted that the principle I was referring to was that HMG - having willing signed a legally binding agreement - should be held to account when it feels it is acceptable to publicly withdraw from its own obligations, but insists that the other party holds to theirs.

Not really that just shows their stupidity , governments keeping their word and being principled ? thats rather hilarious.

Remember Gordon Brown recently won a case about the EU and not holding a referendum, the defence was that

"government promises are not subject to legitimate expectation" ,

Thus anything the government does and says is not subject to legitimate expectation , thus sigining a contract like that is worthless.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:21 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking pledges to the electorate in an election is one (unprincipled) thing - breaking a legally binding agreement is another.

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should call in some miners and hippies to beat the living sh*t out of them. Middle Finger

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Breaking pledges to the electorate in an election is one (unprincipled) thing - breaking a legally binding agreement is another.

Again ,more proof of stupidity , you see the government not honouring its promises .... and yet you expect them to honour yours?.

Its like that bit in a Akira Kurasawa film or Myamoto Mushashi's book, where two generals defect to another daiyamo, they thank them give them a handful of gold and tell them to get lost...

In that if you have the capability to betray once you have the capability to betray again.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:59 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Mister James wrote:

Again ,more proof of stupidity , you see the government not honouring its promises .... and yet you expect them to honour yours?.

For someone who is trying to be patronising, you really ought to make a bit more effort to actually make some fucking sense.

Quote:

In that if you have the capability to betray once you have the capability to betray again.

Well, duhhhh.

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as someone from a long line of Labour support and working class background, I'm all for any strikes if only to act as nails in the coffin of NuLab.

The Police have some backbone and are basically telling the government to f**k off if they are considering pissing about with their wages after a pre agreed contract.

If only we could all be more like that and strike when petrol taxes go up, when the 10p allowance gets scrapped etc.
It's nice to know that some organisations and groups of people still have their backbone.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 16:33 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when the whining part time fire brigade fucked off we got the squaddies in the green princesses or whatever they're called.

So I reckon 'traffic' squaddies in challenger II's could be lively Neutral
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:50 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

So I reckon 'traffic' squaddies in challenger II's could be lively Neutral

I could escape a C2 on my fookin' ped, let alone my KLE! Not sure if they'd be able to track me with the 120mm either! That said, I suppose a GPMG mount could ruin your day a bit too!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would doubt the police would dare strike. Win or loose their job afterwards would be pretty much impossible, and they would have lost every last scrap of public confidence.

I would suspect they would withdraw their non contractual obligations. No overtime for speed cameras ( Very Happy ), refusing to carry firearms (which would probably panic the government into closing the airports), refusing to fill in paperwork not related directly to the criminal conviction process (so no checks for taxi driver licence applications, etc), etc.

All the best

Keith

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:16 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Working to rule is quite enough to upset the apple cart when considering the Police or HMP - both organisations' everyday running relies on huge amounts of overtime and staff forbearance.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 23 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question was asked on Question Time lastnight, I think its so much saber rattling, they know striking isn't an option.

What annoys me about this (for I have no firm views on the pay rise or lack there-of) is the government are tring to justify it by saying if the police got their full payrise it would lead to possible hyper-inflation. The sum involved is only £40 odd million, so its another blatant lie especially since they can afford to dole out 2.7 billion on a tax cut, (not to mention their own inflated payrises...)

Itchy mentioned up yonder if you don't like it get another job, I don't think this really applies. Giving examples of leaving a telesales company or meat packers (you must tell us who it was so we can avoid it) isn't really pertinent as they're not really vocational occupations.

Otherwise I would agree, I've chucked in jobs in the past, but it didn't adversely affect my career (such as it is.) If it had, I probably would have had to think again.

Thumbs Up

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 23 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, pa_broon, I watched it too and had to laugh when they cited inflationary worries as a reason for not giving out the pay rise.

Police officers make up a small proportion of the total population and having a few hundred extra quid each is going to do nothing noticeable to the economy. It was just a way of trying to convince us of a credible reason to not backdate pay.

It's actually just taking the piss. ~£40m is nothing on a national economic scale really. This government is basically struggling now and trying to cut every last penny due to the way we've fucked up and are now a totally credit reliant economy.

It would be interesting to see what the tories do when (I should say 'if', but really?) they get in power to change it around? They'll definitely cut a lot of the benefits payments. My only worry is if we go back to having no safety net for those who genuinely need benefits and seeing the working class get fleeced again.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 23 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC wrote:
Aye, pa_broon, I watched it too and had to laugh when they cited inflationary worries as a reason for not giving out the pay rise.

Police officers make up a small proportion of the total population and having a few hundred extra quid each is going to do nothing noticeable to the economy. It was just a way of trying to convince us of a credible reason to not backdate pay.

It's actually just taking the piss. ~£40m is nothing on a national economic scale really. This government is basically struggling now and trying to cut every last penny due to the way we've fucked up and are now a totally credit reliant economy.

It would be interesting to see what the tories do when (I should say 'if', but really?) they get in power to change it around? They'll definitely cut a lot of the benefits payments. My only worry is if we go back to having no safety net for those who genuinely need benefits and seeing the working class get fleeced again.

I'm no economist so have no idea what to do. I'd definitely simplify the whole tax thing, taxing people then giving them their own money back in tax credits seems a bit daft for example.

My impression (and it might be misguided) is that tax income for the Gov has increased hugely, what the hell are they doing with it exactly and why are they getting all het up about a measely 40 million, its a drop in the ocean.

I wonder how that 40 million compares to money set aside for 'international development?'

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2