Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hard luggage bodge yay or nay?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 26 Jan 2008    Post subject: Hard luggage bodge yay or nay? Reply with quote

I think I'd like some hard luggage , since touring last year even though nobody tried to nick anything off my bike, I reckon hard luggage will give me a bit more peace of mind. Even though I had an off in France in which the soft luggage actually prevented damage to the bike and me.

I was browsing various sellers of hard luggage and it seemed I'd get very little change out of £300 , since the boxes aren't cheap, and you also have to get a fitting rack which is specific to your bike.

I thought meh.

but then recalled Nath who uses old ammo boxes in a home made rack type thing.

What are YOUR hard luggage bodges?

I'm thinking that I can get a pair of top boxes that are identical GIVI ones from me local bike shop (2nd hand 40 or 35ish litre ones) for £25 for the pair, and have a soft bag on the inside so stuff doesn't fall out.

Cut a few bits of steel into a big U shape , over the seat and bolt the top boxes onto the side of me frame , and buy a spare NTV/CBR seat (also cheap at <£20) and cut it down a bit and bolt it through the spare seat.

You want to take it off? , you undo the bolts on the seat if you find a nice place to stay for a bit, al la Castellane, and cover the huge holes in yer seat with that non slip matting stuff.

Any other ideas?

Ta
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.99 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 29.29 Kb