Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie wants to get into green laning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from New Bikers to Offroad & Supermoto by G (27 Jan 2008 - 18:02)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fallout
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Newbie wants to get into green laning Reply with quote

Alright chaps? I'm looking for a few suggestions for starter bikes, if you wouldn't mind helping me out. Smile

Me and a mate are looking to get into greenlaning / enduro. He's an experienced biker with a GSXR600 and I'm a fast car man, so a total noob with bikes. We're looking to spend around £1500 and do all the maintenance ourselves, so bikes that aren't pristine aren't a problem. We want the bikes to be road legal, so we're not limited where we go, but they'll be predominantly used for green laning, and not commuting or road use.

As I look round ebay and posts on forums, I see loads of bikes that look the same on paper, but are completely different prices. So far I've sussed Chinese bikes are a no-no, and Huskys are expensive! Anything Japanese seems to be the way to go.

Would you guys mind suggesting a few bikes I can hunt around for that might suit me? The one you would go for in my situation, or any to steer clear of. I'm thinking a 250 for me will be plenty as a noob only riding off road. And I definitely prize reliability and part availability highly.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions. Thumbs Up

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 18:33 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a full bike licence? If so your going to need to get that done first (if your looking at riding anything over a 125cc).

As you've said you will need to be fully road legal to ride green lanes (e.g. taxed, MOT'd and insured).

I've got a little Yamaha XT225 for green laning, is a brilliant bike, especially if your on the short side. Take a look at the Honda XR250 also a brilliant bike for a novice green laner, it will do most things you ask of it and you should be able to get a fairly decent one for the price range you've mentioned. Don't worry too much about the condition of plastics etc... as they will get bashed, scuffed etc.. but fortunately don't cost too much to replace.

Maintenance is a little more intensive than what you'd expect of your typical road bike (e.g. oil changes are needed more frequently etc..)

Don't forget to factor in the cost of some decent gear e.g. boots, lid, armour etc.. as that can be fairly pricey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:59 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: Newbie wants to get into green laning Reply with quote

Moved to this section as you'll get more relevant answers.

250s are an ideal start.
Power wise you don't /need/ more, though it can make it a bit easier but then less power means you have to try a bit harder and might learn more Smile.

Light weight is good; you'll be having to pick this bike up out of mud pools and the like (if you're trying, anyway Smile), it makes it more pliable and easier turning on slippy stuff.

If you're just using it for weekend muddy fun, I wouldn't get too stuck up on a 'reliable' bike as far as long service intervals goes.
Something like a KTM200EXC which is a 2 stroke can be perfectly reliable if you're happy doing occasional maintenance.

Classes of bikes to consider with a few example bikes;
2 stroke enduro bikes:
Around 100kg weight.
More power per CC.
Better handling.
KTM EXC/GAS GAS EC 125 200 250 300, RMX250

4 stroke enduro bikes:
Around 110kg weight.
The impression of wider powerband/better reliability (not always the case when compared to modern 2strokes).
WR250 400, KTM EXC/GAS GAS EC 250f 450 525etc

2 stroke trail bikes:
From around 115kg in weight
Quite rare and relatively expensive for the year.
Less weight than 4 stroke trail bikes with the same power.
KMX200 220, CRM250

4 stroke trail bikes:
From about 120kg weight, bit less in some cases
Should be pretty reliable
Easy to use
Handle road work more easily
XR 250 400, DRZ-400, CCM404, DR250 400 600, klx250 300

There's lots of choices; best bet might be just to get a general idea of the bike you want and keep an eye out for anything that comes meeting the broad criteria that looks like good value.

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo/G have this covered,take their advise and dont go too big.

Fallout
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Great response. Very much appreciated. Very Happy

License wise - I've done it all round the wrong way. I have all my bike gear, boots, helmet, goggles, jacket, trousers, body armour, gloves, knee pads ... but no license yet. Rolling Eyes I got carried away online about 3 months ago, and then put the biking project away for xmas while I wait for my mate to save up some cash (and for good weather to learn). My provisional entitlement for biking has just come through on my license, so I plan to take a week off work next month and do an intensive DAS course.

I am a lanky begger. 6'2" and it's all in my legs. Rolling Eyes So any bike that favours the shorter man probably won't do for me. If there is a bike that was designed around daddy long legses, then that'd probably suit me well.

@G - That list is just the sorta thing I was after. I'll start googling/ebaying those bikes you've listed and checking them out. Nice one. Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:45 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being tall is good for offroaders as they are generally very tall bikes.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyd wrote:
Davo/G have this covered,take their advise and dont go too big.

Small can be fun too you know. Laughing

https://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C01%5C25%5Cbikepics-1159800-800.jpg

Never thought I'd do a little bumpy stuff as its never appealed to me but had a little go and its fun, what more can I say, I see the attraction.

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

damm!

Is that road legal and how fast it go? Laughing

Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% legal.

The 107cc lump gets you to 45-50 surprisingly fast.

It came stock with twin rear shocks but its now got a mono shock and extended swingarm. I think this helped when going over the rough slippery mud for sure as it felt very sure footed although it wont wheelie anymore?

Going over the bumps and a little jump the front albeit soft didn't bottom out and was again not all jittery, not at all bad for a road bike.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

Aww, and you believed her too. Razz

I've played with small bikes (pit bikes etc) and big is definitely better off road, to my mind. Small is fun, but proper-sized bikes takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:

Aww, and you believed her too. Razz

I've played with small bikes (pit bikes etc) and big is definitely better off road, to my mind. Small is fun, but proper-sized bikes takes it to a whole 'nother level.

It was cold I tell ya.

Its like when you ride a small bike and then jump on a big bike the difference is huge and it feels so much more planted and easier to manage. I can only imagine that a big bike is si much easier to jump and generally ass around on.

I'm not going to run down to the local bike dealers and buy an off roader just yet, I'll try and do some more on the lil' bike and we'll see I suppose.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:01 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

Its like when you ride a small bike and then jump on a big bike the difference is huge and it feels so much more planted and easier to manage. I can only imagine that a big bike is si much easier to jump and generally ass around on.

To me it's kinda like the difference between road riding and trackdays - fast road riding seems great an' all; until I did a trackday and realised I had only sampled a tiny bit of the possibilities.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1