Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hesitant FZR 600 Genesis 1989 Bogging down (updated)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:34 - 23 Feb 2008    Post subject: Hesitant FZR 600 Genesis 1989 Bogging down (updated) Reply with quote

Hi, Just got one of these as a back to biking bike after a bit of a break, anyway its got a sort of odd problem i have my suspicions about it but before i start checking them out i want to see if anyone else has some experience or some info that might also help. IT starts first press of the button no problems and it rides ok most the time however at low revs particularly between 3 and 5K it seems to bog down then you open the throttle however if you pull the throttle back a bit more it picks up fine and takes off like a rocket ship it also sounds a bit rough when its bogging down as if a exhaust gasket is leaking, my thinking is the air box has come off or has a split in a rubber some where ? as if you keep it in high revs it rides like a dream, It has a carbon can co pipe and supposedly a K&N air filter and it has also supposedly been rejetted to suit the air filter not sure wether the pipe was taken into that equation. also the exhaust does not appear to leak anywhere i checked this earlier with the hand over the end can approach Razz

Last edited by satans_BIG_helper on 18:16 - 24 Feb 2008; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:39 - 23 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The airbox can be difficult to get to sit properly, so I would agree with your first best guess. If it has been off for some time expect real fun trying to get it back on (possibly use boiling water to soften the rubbers).

While apart also check the carbs are balanced and that the diaphragms are in decent condition.

All the best

Keith

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 23 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hitting the same problem but thats due to my exup and poor carbs being 20 yrs old. If i was you I'd go here to this forum and ask them.

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess thats all of tomorrow taken up then Sad, better have it back in 1 bit by the end of the day for work on monday Very Happy

Better get myself some lollypop sticks to balance them carbs Razz

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:28 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i stripped it down today and checked everything out, The air box seemed to be seated properly however i removed it and re fitted it to make sure and i noticed one of the rubbers has been pinched at some time, but i got it back on and it seems to seal properly,

Another thing i discovered is a massive leak in the exhaust system where the 4 down pipes meet with the collector box, i dont think this is the problem however does any one know if the middle section of the exhasut in the pictures i have put up is a standard FZR part or a aftermarket one of some kind so i can source a replacement

Me and a friend done a lot of ummm n ahhhing and we reckon its a flat spot due to the bike having a K&N air filter and the carbon can co end can fitted, the plugs were black when i took them out indicating it is running rich, the carbs seemed to be balanced close enough to each other i didnt remove them yet as i intend to give the bike a service next weekend and didnt want to risk not having the bike back together for work tomorrow. Does anybody know the standard jet sizes in FZR carbs and has any one had a FZR with a similar air filter and exhaust combination and remember what jets they were using to get the bike running right Smile

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

satans_BIG_helper wrote:
Well i stripped it down today and checked everything out, The air box seemed to be seated properly however i removed it and re fitted it to make sure and i noticed one of the rubbers has been pinched at some time, but i got it back on and it seems to seal properly,

Another thing i discovered is a massive leak in the exhaust system where the 4 down pipes meet with the collector box, i dont think this is the problem however does any one know if the middle section of the exhasut in the pictures i have put up is a standard FZR part or a aftermarket one of some kind so i can source a replacement

Me and a friend done a lot of ummm n ahhhing and we reckon its a flat spot due to the bike having a K&N air filter and the carbon can co end can fitted, the plugs were black when i took them out indicating it is running rich, the carbs seemed to be balanced close enough to each other i didnt remove them yet as i intend to give the bike a service next weekend and didnt want to risk not having the bike back together for work tomorrow. Does anybody know the standard jet sizes in FZR carbs and has any one had a FZR with a similar air filter and exhaust combination and remember what jets they were using to get the bike running right Smile

I can give you a guide towards sorting your carbs if you like? Also if its leaking at the exhaust that causes problems to.
i'll post the guide when i get home.

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:59 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know the exhaust leaking can cause this problem but i have had bikes with far worse exhausts and not had this problem, im having hell at the moment trying to source a cheap replacement middle section for my exhaust i dont mind if its not in the best condition as i can get it sorted but this bike is now my everyday transport so i cant afford to take the current one off and wait to get it sorted out Sad, The guide for the carbs would be helpfull i have done rejetting and swapping about before on 2 strokes in the past but they have been far easier to take the carbs out and swap the jets several times the FZR looks like a pig of a job if i have to change jets 3 or 4 times Sad, so being able to get a close as match as possible with the jets in the 1st place would save me a lot of time and hassle Very Happy

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

satans_BIG_helper wrote:
i know the exhaust leaking can cause this problem but i have had bikes with far worse exhausts and not had this problem, im having hell at the moment trying to source a cheap replacement middle section for my exhaust i dont mind if its not in the best condition as i can get it sorted but this bike is now my everyday transport so i cant afford to take the current one off and wait to get it sorted out Sad, The guide for the carbs would be helpfull i have done rejetting and swapping about before on 2 strokes in the past but they have been far easier to take the carbs out and swap the jets several times the FZR looks like a pig of a job if i have to change jets 3 or 4 times Sad, so being able to get a close as match as possible with the jets in the 1st place would save me a lot of time and hassle Very Happy

Its not a step by step guide but a explaination guide on all carbs.
FZR parts are gettin rare now, best to bodge or buy a stainless steel system off ebay? The thing with yams is they are high strung and dont like being plodded along as theres not much power low down. if you want lots of more tuned help then head here to the forum section.There american so bear with them. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:06 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That doesn't look like the stock system on my FZR600 from memory (without going to the garage and checking). There are a couple of bracing tabs on the stock exhaust between the down pipes and they seem to rot around those.

D&K do replacement down pipes.

Might be worth checking the atomiser tubes. Normally these go oval on the larger engined fzrs, but might have happened on the 600.

All the best

Keith

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 25 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the same as Keith, check the emulsion tubes, doesn't take much wear to cause over fuelling.

Apart from that theres always my random way of checking stuff.
Warm the bike up, take the air filter out, go for a run and see if its any better or worse.

Rather than changing the jets straight away I think it might be worth dropping the needles a notch, if you can.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1