Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:43 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Racist? Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/26/ntv126.xml

Quote:
The BBC should have issued an on-air apology after the radio presenter Sarah Kennedy told listeners how she nearly ran over a black man because she could not see him in the dark, the corporation admitted.

How is that racist? I wouldn't have said it in her position - knowing as I do the depths of the BBC's PC moral cowardice - but it seems as if recounting an actual event is now racist? That exact same thing happens to me on a daily basis - it is a simple fact that a person with dark clothes and dark skin is harder to see in the dark than otherwise might be the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just madness, and thinking about it I bet you suffer all sorts of complaints and silly procedures in your job.

Don't it ever get on your tits?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if they all wear hi-viz vests?

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if they all just fucked off? Razz

JOKE!

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:
Its just madness, and thinking about it I bet you suffer all sorts of complaints and silly procedures in your job.

I was actually referring to Africans jumping into the road in the dark being an every-day occurence - not accusations of racism.

That said, you are quite correct - my colleagues and I suffer all sorts of indignities along these lines. I count it as a quiet day at the office if I don't hear "You're only doing this because I'm black" at least once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:

I was actually referring to Africans jumping into the road in the dark being an every-day occurence - not accusations of racism.

I know thats why I put "its just madness", then asked my question. Razz

I hadn't really thought about the "politically correct" procedures you must have to endure in your Job until I saw it was you that had posted this piece of PC gone mad.

When I did I asked.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know the half of it - it's a nightmare at times.

Most of it isn't even required by law, it's just people trying to make a name for themselves by going that 'extra mile' to prove their PC credentials.

I dodge what I can, but that still leaves plenty to slog through.

The standard defence for any 'orrible scrote who's done wrong is "You're bullying me because you're racist" - naturally, one can't relatilate with "No, you act like a prick because you are the unpleasant product of a barbaric and failed society - someone who is quite at home raping villagers and murdering children".

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only he had smiled before hand...
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis PC stuff is actually breeding racists as most " normal people " are fed up being called racist for just everyday things.
Soon you wont be able to call a Rich Black Man a Tycoon.
I'm just sick to the back teeth of the racist card. and have you noted that only WHITES are racist. others are just showing their cultural differences.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 26 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do Africans (Melanomic ones) have white fingernails?

So they know when to stop at the end of a bar of chocolate...... Embarassed

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 27 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a bad time for the African on a zebra crossing joke?

Now you see me, now you dont, now you see me, now you dont Laughing

*awaits bad karma for bad joke*

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:14 - 27 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Anytime is OK.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 10:19 - 28 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bless 'em, they've got a sense of humour - now they're jumping out of the traffic in the daytime to give me a fighting chance - I almost ran one down today: would've been the perfect end to an arse night shift.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 28 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
my colleagues and I suffer all sorts of indignities along these lines. I count it as a quiet day at the office if I don't hear "You're only doing this because I'm black" at least once.

Hardly a representative cross section of the general population though, is it? You work in a prison (IIRC?), ergo very different environment to the one we live in. I don't blame you for letting the abuse cloud your judgement but please don't let the inhabitants of a prison dictate your views on race issues.

Thumbs Up

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Hardly a representative cross section of the general population though, is it? You work in a prison (IIRC?), ergo very different environment to the one we live in. I don't blame you for letting the abuse cloud your judgement but please don't let the inhabitants of a prison dictate your views on race issues.

Thumbs Up

You're quite right - I'm just keen to point out that the comments you were responding to were aimed at an aside that Guv made specifically about my workplace.

Most of my frustration with regards to race/culture stems from my encounters 'in the street' when I am out and about in Harrow and the rest of London.

I expect people to be rude and unpleasant at work, as they have had their liberty (quite rightly in the vast majority of cases) taken away from them.

That said, it's a more representative slice of the immigrant population than you might think - while about 50% are Foreign National Prisoners awaiting deportation after their sentences, the rest are a fairly broad mix of failed asylum seekers, overstayers, etc - many of whom are the 'nice normal' immigrants we read so much about in the liberal press.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 28 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

I expect people to be rude and unpleasant at work, as they have had their liberty (quite rightly in the vast majority of cases) taken away from them..

I heard from a random source that prison officers lose the right to go on strike come march or may is this correct? (ie why the new government's criminal justice bill tried to sneak in a no strike rights thing on prison officers).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 11:24 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye - quite correct.

It doesn't apply to me because I'm private sector (and got a 4.5% pay rise) but yeah, you're right. Basically, now that the POA (our major union) has followed the government's lead and rejected the current pay negotiation mechanism, the government has basically said "We're going home and we're taking our ball with us".

I believe the bill they are going to pass would criminalise any union or individual who attempted to incite HM Prison Service staff to take part in any activity that would endanger a vague concept of smooth operations in the estate.

The POA had a no-strike deal with the government based on the understanding that the government would follow the recommendations of the pay review board. The government decided to ignore that agreement - but insists that it is still binding on the POA!

It's a similar situation to the Ms Smith debacle ref. the Plod.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 13:03 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be racist IF, the reference to his colour of skin was unrelated to the incident.

If she had simply "almost ran over a man because she didn't see him in the dark" then the colour of his skin is irrelevant, and emphasising his colour COULD be seen as racist.

If, however, hist colour contributed to the incident, and is therefore relevant, then it's a fact and not a racist comment.

Either way, it's a bit petty for anyone to complain about it being racist in the first place.

As always, I expect the complainants will be white middle-class do-googers, and not the proposed targets of the racism.

a

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got asked if I was racist last week at work twice.
One a black girl and another white, all because I said I dont like black music/RnB ect.
I was quiet annoyed Thumbs Down

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony is incredible,

Zanulabour in 2005 shouted racist when the tories wanted a Aus type points immigration system.

Today Zanulabour are attempting to introduce this system.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of the people that complained are white?

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
I got asked if I was racist last week at work twice.
One a black girl and another white, all because I said I dont like black music/RnB ect.
I was quiet annoyed Thumbs Down

Just be careful how you word it next time. Something like, "the music you call "black music" isn't to my liking. I prefer [insert genre] instead". If they ask whether you are racist, reply by asking them if they know the definition of racism.
Racism is (loosely) judging, disliking or even hating another person simply because of their racial attributes, ie, " I hate him simply because he has black skin".

Personally, I don't enjoy Chinese music, but it doesn't make me a racist person.

Regards

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:21 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
A lot of stuff that made sense......

Exactly my thoughts.

Another slightly ludicrous thing along the same PC lines - management were talking to some staff at my place yesterday regarding BME/VME officers and promotion prospects; one of our Scots pointed out that my Little Miss - while brown-skinned - is more English than he is, or than our Polish staff are. The response from our senior bods was that no - it's the colour of the skin that is important!

Little Miss's colour doesn't affect her ability to understand British culture/language/working practises - her being British does!

I try and avoid issues like this at work because I don't feel I can speak my mind without risking black marks (can I still say that?!) being made against my name.

GodzGift
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Racist? Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

The BBC should have issued an on-air apology after the radio presenter Sarah Kennedy told listeners how she nearly ran over a black man because she could not see him in the dark, the corporation admitted.
= if i said that would mean one less robbery would that be racist?

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 23:17 - 01 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i nearly got fired for saying off the cuff 'ya cheeky monkey' to a mate at tesco who happened to be black.

Cunt just wanted to skive, and would have pushed for my sack had i not been on great terms with all the big black security guards there.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2