Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leathers or fabrics?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

PostPosted: 10:26 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Leathers or fabrics? Reply with quote

i am about to get some new stuff, as im gettin my nsr next weekend. up till now ive just had a fabric jacket (for my ped) and gloves. after hearing about scottys crash, i was wondering if fabric would protect you in the same way as his leathers obviously protected him. my other mate has fabrics for his 125, and has come off a few times and theyve always done him fine, but he hasnt crashed at high speeds (only up to 40mph or so) the reason i would get fabrics is because from what people i know have said they are completely waterproof (?) and they are warmer (?)

thanks Smile
You must be logged in to rate posts

raps
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:58 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought myself a leather jacket and leather gloves. The jacket does me fine and is warm too, the gloves however arent as warm, especially on bitterly cold mornings. But i found if you get some undergloves those usualy help to keep your fingers warm.

I aint bought no trousers yet, but when i do they will probably be fabric with padding. As i dont think i look too good in leather trousers, but thats just me being picky.

Hope that helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 11:02 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had fabrics only leathers, the protection leather gives you when you come off is unrivaled, both the top notch leathers and fabrics will wear through when going down the road but the tests I've seen show leathers last longer while sliding on your ass!

as for waterproof stuff, hmmm yeah leathers eventually leak, but thats what plastic over trousers are for Smile as you say its more likely the fabric will be more water resistant

find my leathers really warm (mind you I walk round in t-shrit most the time) my leather pants keep the wind of my legs great but as I've never owned a pair of fabric trousers (for riding Razz ) I cant comment

fabric jackets may appeal more if you plan to wear it as your main coat as well (again I dont wear a coat so this was of no improtance to me!)

just my views mate

Hex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 11:11 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i crashed whilst wearing fabrics....the things tore and my skin was mullerd.

so now ive got all leathers.....i was hit by a car, and slid about 20 feet down the road at 30mph......i didnt have a single scratch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 11:12 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

and where are ou going to put your slides if you get fabric. also you wont be able to do track days without leathers
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

raps
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:17 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

tru kev, i didnt think of that

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 11:49 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev wrote:
and where are ou going to put your slides if you get fabric.

You can get textile pants with slider patches...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevlar jeans are good - www.hoodjeans.com

i got them and i've crashed a few times, bruises but no cuts. i have leathers too for going to the hill and stuff, but day to day its the kevlar jeans.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:42 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both. Not binned it though. The textiles are def warmer. If you're ok with leathers just invest in some decent gloves. Leather gloves should not fit properly with warmer gloves underneath. I now have 3 pairs. The best are the Frank Thomas I just got. They're well warm, totally waterproof and have some kevlar/carbon stuff protection.
My leather gloves are great and the bike feels so much better when using them.
I prefer riding in leathers but when it's freezing they're jus not warm enough. I only had leathers last year and I didn't enjoy the winter.
As soon as it warms up the textiles are going away and I'll be in leathers till october Very Happy

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:04 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv got leathers for summer and fabric for winter cos they are warmer and waterproof Cool

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Leathers Razz

Luke

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 15:23 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leathers!
You must Have leathers!

I was trying to imagine what happened to me at 60mph if i had textile on.
Yes it would have helped but i was expecting to get up and see half my skin missing.
But the leathers where excellent.
As craig said he came of wearing his leathers and not a scratch. i come of at 60mph and i have 2 grazes.

If i was wearing textile i think (mostly) my legs would have suffered alot more.
And to be honest alot of people took the piss as the bikes only a 125.
But after coming off like that, you can see why people get so mad at people when there wearing trainers and just shirts.

i think textile are definetly the next best thing as i have both.
i find the textile jacket to be warmer and water proof.
As the leathers arnt really that warm unless i put a few T-shirts on.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 15:47 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my leathers as soon as I started riding. Never rode the NSR without them. Just doesn't feel safe!

PostPosted: 15:49 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leathers are the best, anything other than around town, even if they arent as warm, I had a full set from when i got my GPR 50 and people do take the piss but as i can show, you can do serious damage on a 50, especially when you are going knee down at 55mph Crying or Very sad , my leathers got scuffed on my arse, but not too bad and my sliders on my boots and trousers were destroyed, but i was completely fine, if i didnt have them on i would of destroyed my knee, arm and ankle. I have got a textile jacket as well for small trips around town and to school, but not for long trips.

About the winter i use my textile jacket zipped into my leather trousers so i get the best of both worlds.
You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?

PostPosted: 15:56 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kevlar

from what i can remember, there was a stand at the NEC show, selling Kevlar 1piece suits. Apparently they are stronger and weigh 1/3 of leather suits. Expensive though!

May not have been kevlar but similar to a fabric material?

Last edited by Jon on 16:07 - 24 Jan 2003; edited 1 time in total

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:01 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get good boots too. mine have saved my shin from smashing inot splinters twice now. One was a 60mph impact into the car in front. I had a bit of a bruise but it could've been so much worse.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 16:35 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want the ultamate protection get a volvo

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:39 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda hard to wear on a bike

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 16:40 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got both, like dom said textiles are warmer but if you wanna go on a race tracj youll need leathers. only ever come off with the textiles on....never even a scratch on em!
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 16:43 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but you aint got a bike to wear them on

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:45 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the RF!

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 16:48 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

not ou dean i was talking about jimbo his bike is all fucked up

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:11 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I C! i won't have the RF long though hopefully Very Happy
New bike coming soo \o/!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:06 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went over a car bonnet and slid down the road in leathers didnt have a mark on me apart from a broken wrist which was just because of the way i'd landed.

My leathers are warm enough for me (im like hex normally just wear a t shirt around anyway) just my fingers that get cold.

I'd say leathers but as i've never worn textile stuff i cant really say they're bad.

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 24 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 slides in my textile jacket and it's been fine. Slight scuffs to the elbow pads, but just makes me look 'arder Cool Wink

When I get some insurance money, I'll buy a set of 2 piece black leathers I think, but for going to work and back I'll still wear textile jacket and jeans
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2