alcopop tax

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 Mar 2008    Post subject: alcopop tax Reply with quote

what a fucking STUPID idea Evil or Very Mad

how the fuck is 30p on a bacardi breezer going to stop me buying it? like most people (ie teenagers) that buy these drinks i have a job and almost no real commitments, so 30p either way doesnt matter a jot. Neutral

on a related note, i noticed that when me and a mate bought some alch a few days ago we BOTH had to give in id Confused

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 07 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So instead of doing something about underage drinking they slap more tax on it so adults have to pay extra also? Confused Its not to stop them buying it its an excuse for them to get more money clearly.

I was flattered when asked for ID myself not so long ago in an off licence. But if they are asking 26 year old women for id they must be shite cause the 14 year olds where around the corner drinking away just after visiting their offy.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 07 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In typical Tory fashion this is actually a class based tax, you can't have riffy little chavs lollin' about get pissed, so you put the price up on their tipple and reduce the price of the tipple of the middle clarses and look after your own. I remember the budgets of Clarke, Lamont, and Major from the 80's and 90's 10p on a pint of beer, fuck all on wine and whiskey, 10p on a packet of fags, fuck all on cigars and pipe tobacco, nothing has changed.

19van71
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:06 - 07 Mar 2008    Post subject: Great Britain Reply with quote

A load of old f*ckin bollox. The government needs to look at the bigger picture. There are a lot more urgent issues plagueing this country and the laws and punishments are at best 'laughable'. I remember the days a copper wouldn't bat a eyelid about clouting you around the head for misbehaving - Not now. I have a job that takes me far and wide dealing with issues taken on by recent governments that have turned our 'beloved' country into something hardly recognisable as 'Great Britain'. So taxing alchohol is going to solve the problem???... more like ensure a healthier pension for our great politicians! Don't get me started! Wink

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 07 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not THAT stupid it uses classical economic theory ie price goes up reduces demand, but as said when I say price goes up it REALLY has to go up say £10 , rather than 30p lipservice which means demand will stay relatively the same , with just more going to the government coffers.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:38 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no facts in this thread, merely hearsay.

First off, this was a proposal put forward by the Conservative party, NOT the current government.

They claim that putting a high tax levy on cheap alchohol, they will change the way people drink. They also want to prohibit two for one offers and happy hours.

By cheap alchohol they mean any alchoholic beverage over 7.2% by volume under a certain price per litre. This isn't a blanket 'alcopop' coverage, its more stuff like white lightning. Also they say they will reduce tax in other areas because they disagree with 'stealth' taxes.

About the only thing that is correct in this thread is the fact that 'a politician' suggested increasing the tax on 'an alchoholic beverage'.

Currently its just a proposal, and being that it is being put forward by the opposition party, it isn't likely to become law soon.

And no one has mentioned how much tax might go onto a particular alchoholic beverage. It might very well become like Norway where a pint of beer costs the equivalent of a tenner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 09 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

untill now.

fact: we need Al Murray as pm Cool
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

19van71
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:11 - 09 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
MarJay wrote:

untill now.

fact: we need Al Murray as pm Cool
....I'll second that!! Thumbs Up Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 04:41 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care, I don't drink the shit. But I see at as a good idea, how often do you see tossers smashed out of the tits on this shit. The money these drinks cost the tax payer through, hospitals and police etc. is far more than other drinks.

Maybe it's the places I go out (Romford and Portsmouth Rolling Eyes) but this is what I have seen on my 4 years or so on the 'Club' scene.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I don't care, I don't drink the shit. But I see at as a good idea, how often do you see tossers smashed out of the tits on this shit. The money these drinks cost the tax payer through, hospitals and police etc. is far more than other drinks.

Maybe it's the places I go out (Romford and Portsmouth Rolling Eyes) but this is what I have seen on my 4 years or so on the 'Club' scene.

how do you know? , in that it was often thought smokers treatment cost more than that of the tax generated it was then worked out smokers contrib was 9bn their treatment was 1.2bn , not withstanding the fact they die much younger on average and save on state pensions.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact, maybe not but heres a tip for those of you who drink copious amounts of alcohol Wink

Before a night of heavy drinking you should do the following: Eat one banana, two pieces of brocolli, an orange, some red jelly and a chocolate bar.
It wont stop you from being sick, it just makes it more colourful for those who have to clear it up after you Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 02:19 - 11 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
chris-red wrote:

how do you know? , in that it was often thought smokers treatment cost more than that of the tax generated it was then worked out smokers contrib was 9bn their treatment was 1.2bn , not withstanding the fact they die much younger on average and save on state pensions.

Common sence from being out and about alot, people are more likely to cause trouble (Blokes especially) if they are drinking alchopops it is either somethign to do with the type of person that likes them or something todo with the amount of sugar in them. They are also more likely to be drunk by kids (Under 16) another reason to raise the price.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 11 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
few days ago we BOTH had to give in id

Same here, bottle of Cobra had to wait 5 mins for someone else to come over and verifie both ID's
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1