Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anybody read the paper today on road tax?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Anybody read the paper today on road tax? Reply with quote

I know it's a bike forum but this is a current affair and will no doubt hit the bikers in the groin somewhere down the line.. Wink
Warning Exclamation / rant time/

Anybody read about the latest addition to curb people buying gas guzzlers? They plan to raise the road tax for the first year of new motors that kick out loads of emissions to over a thousand pounds a year Shocked

I dont think the government is giving out the right message here. I do believe in what the point of it all is (saving the planet) but the average motor that kicks out that kind of emissions (Range Rover, Porsche etc - they gave these as examples), is only going to be afforded by people who really dont give a toss.

If you can afford to buy a 60-80,000 car i'm pretty sure you are not going to budge your views on paying a thousand pounds tax for a year. These motors cost a minimum of 100 pounds to fill up every time they go to the forecourt. They are aiming to get motor manufacturers to stop turning out these beasts. If they are so worried about the environment then why not just BAN the production of these types of vehicle. Confused

The answer? They WANT you to keep buying them so that they can rake in the extortionate amount of tax that we already pay, and then some.
It's like cigarettes, they moan and groan about the cost for the NHS but smokers generate billions in revenue but you dont tend to hear about that. So what do they do? They raise the price. If they really did care about the environment and health issues they would ban them too.

Anti smoking nazi's can forget it, it was just an example I picked off the top of my head to relate to as it's basically going down the same route.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I read it the budget will increase E F and G category cars by £2000 ,

The devil is however in the detail in that many many many smaller cars will be caught in this trap.

Remember the government is 1.1 trillion in debt (more if you consider pension libs) and has had a year on year defecit of 7bn for the last 10 years , they have no gold left , they didn't pay off the loans in better times , there is no option BUT to tax.

we now pay like 31bn in interest each year, tax has to go up at least 20% to balance the books.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly no surprise anymore why so many british move abroad now. I have a few friends who have now moved over to france and spain. They love it there.

How come it's only aimed at new cars rolled off the production line? I cant see anything written about older cars. I have a Grand Cherokee which i've just taxed and it was still 99 pound for 6 months.

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if they just banned them, could you imagine the uproar? There would be far more people on here complaining about it!

But totally agree about the people who buy these cars not caring about the extra tax. But then surely, for the common person, that's good because at least the rich few are then paying more tax towards the public purse.
As long as they don't put up tax stupidly on motorbikes / normal cars that are used by most people, then I don't mind.

But like Itchy says, taxes on some 'normal' cars might be included.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:49 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC wrote:

As long as they don't put up tax stupidly on motorbikes / normal cars that are used by most people, then I don't mind.

Dont you think that motorbikes/normal cars will be next on the list?

Their reasoning will just be "Cars/Bikes are bad mmmmkay".

If they successfully tax big cars and 4x4s off the road then they will have to hit the cars that are over, say a 1.4 engine next because they will need the tax money that was being generated by the 4x4s!

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose in many ways i'm just as guilty as I own one of these supposed 'gas guzzlers'. It's a 4.0 but I havent got it because i'm loaded, far from it in fact. My reasoning was just because it makes a stand up motor to take the kids out camping etc when I have them and the luxury is second to none.

I normally commute to work on the bike and doubt I put 20.00 a week in the car but when I do have to resort to the car I want to go out in a little luxury, as any biker will know, luxury is rarely an option on a bike. I can understand the implications on running a gas guzzler just for the sole purpose of women running the kids to school one at a time and going to tescos or meeting friends but I use mine properly Wink

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big cars already pay way more tax by virtue of the amount of gas they use (gas tax). And that's a tax on every mile the owner chooses to drive. And if the owner can afford that already, how is extra road-tax going to make any effective difference (apart from a minority of borderline owners)?

As already mentioned above, it's nothing more than yet another financial fraud perpetrated by the criminals running this country.

NB: Thank god it's not retroactive, otherwise not only would I be unable to afford to tax mine, it would also be devalued to the tune of about £0 and become unsellable.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: Anybody read the paper today on road tax? Reply with quote

1samarg wrote:
Anybody read about the latest addition to curb people buying gas guzzlers? They plan to raise the road tax for the first year of new motors that kick out loads of emissions to over a thousand pounds a year Shocked

I dont think the government is giving out the right message here. I do believe in what the point of it all is (saving the planet) but the average motor that kicks out that kind of emissions (Range Rover, Porsche etc - they gave these as examples), is only going to be afforded by people who really dont give a toss.

You'll be surprised, lots of very normal cars fall into the same category. People shouting in support of taxation changes to hit the Chelsea Tractors and other gas guzzlers will be hit with the same bills with their people carriers, family saloons and plenty of other normal cars.
Quote:
If they are so worried about the environment then why not just BAN the production of these types of vehicle.

Narrow minded and selfish to suggest things like that. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, motorbikes will be somewhere in the queue of things waiting to be banned.

People driving said gas guzzlers already pay lots of fuel duty so there's no need to lay extra charges on them.

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People driving said gas guzzlers already pay lots of fuel duty so there's no need to lay extra charges on them.

I drive one.

Quote:
Narrow minded and selfish to suggest things like that. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, motorbikes will be somewhere in the queue of things waiting to be banned.

Disagree, not narrow minded at all. If anything it is the government being narrow minded by raising taxes to the hilt all the time. My point was, and still stands that if they were so worried about it as they profess to be then they would ban the events taking place and not just tax them to the hilt.

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me recently that the number of expensive high powered cars driving around without any tax at all is very high. Makes sense though doesn't it, not many people are going to expect a porsche to not have any road tax.

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do believe in what the point of it all is (saving the planet)
- 1samarg

You don't actually believe that sh1t do you?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:12 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some bits on the BBC News site:-

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7286106.stm

Just another tax they think they can get away with. Campaign of slagging of larger vehicle owners and now they have an excuse to pick on them. Normal divide and conquer tactics.

By the way, band E is 166~185g/km of CO2. Roughly 1L of petrol produces 2.34 kg of CO2, so 166g/km means 1/14th of a litre every km. That means just shy of 40mpg. If they are basing it on band E then that is hardly "gas guzzlers". Plenty of peoples bikes wouldn't manage that.

CO2 production is pretty much directly proportional to the amount of a particular fuel burnt. The fuel is already taxed, so CO2 is already taxed.

All the best

Keith

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:
Quote:
I do believe in what the point of it all is (saving the planet)
- 1samarg

You don't actually believe that sh1t do you?

Mate, if I really believed that I wouldnt own two bikes that struggle to do 35mpg and a jeep that does 20.

I believe that their notion is correct but got lost in translation towards their greed to take every penny they can from us in the process.

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment Smile

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:10 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst taxing is bad there has at least been one good outcome of this clampdown on engine emissions.

Look at the cars that are coming out today, engine devlopment has never been so rapid, cars are becoming more economical, pumping out less crap, yet still putting out the same power. There is a new diesel VW Golf coming out that on paper will have a combined MPG of 83. That's insane and whilst in the short term it isn't good, engine development like this is good for me and you as cars cost "less" to run.

Take my 1.25 Fiesta for example, on paper it gets 40MPG, yet some of the latest petrol 1.6 cars are nearly doing 50MPG.

I have no idea if performance has been affected, but look at it this way, if cars are putting out decent power, doing 50-60MPG and shoving out less than 120g/km of CO2, the government won't be able to tax cars highly and will have to look elsewhere.

BWHAHAHAH what am I on about? The G'ment will just lower the threshold again. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:40 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Take my 1.25 Fiesta for example, on paper it gets 40MPG, yet some of the latest petrol 1.6 cars are nearly doing 50MPG.

Remember that official fuel consumption figures are done on a dyno, so are pretty meaningless. And then you can fiddle the gearing / fueling to perform well under the particular testing conditions, but be pretty useless in real life. For example fit a stupidly high top gear that it will just about pull at 56mph, yet on the road it just means you land up in 4th instead.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Remember that official fuel consumption figures are done on a dyno, so are pretty meaningless. And then you can fiddle the gearing / fueling to perform well under the particular testing conditions, but be pretty useless in real life. For example fit a stupidly high top gear that it will just about pull at 56mph, yet on the road it just means you land up in 4th instead.

All the best

Keith

true but I've been seeing quite a few stripped out cars on my way to work , just the drivers seat and very little else , I wonder if you say save 500 kilos which must be pretty easy how much MPG can you save? (my NTV is an anomily as it gives me about 55 mpg and its running rich no matter how you ride it).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how they're taking the hell out of cars and yet you can fly from Manchester to London on a jet plane that produces as much CO2 as a large car does in a YEAR for the princely sum of £5.

Also, don't we already have enough cars lying in scrapyards unloved and unused because the promise of interest-free credit makes it so easy for anyone to get a new one everytime they get bored? Perhaps we could reduce the strain on the environment if we stopped making so many new cars.

Anyway, if they put the tax up to that extent on anything I want to drive in my lifetime, fukkit - I'm taking the risk and not paying my tax.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1