BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike rebuild

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 04:35 - 27 Jan 2003    Post subject: Bike rebuild Reply with quote

Well, as its going to be a long time before I can afford a new bike i think its time I did some work on the old NSR to make it last me.

Basically, what it needs is piston/rings engine wise and the suspension overhauling. The forks are a bit pitted so a rechrome is in order, but will they need new springs (or anything else) as well?? As for the shock - its had an aftermarket one fitted. Its a fully adjustable(!) air damped(!) marzocchi unit that loses its air prety quick. Whadda ya reckon with that?

Oh yeah, I suppose the bearing should be changed as well.
Any ideas how much that stuff would cost me and anything else that would ned to be done?

Im also thinking of down gearing it - anyone done it? And do you reckon it would still be useable if I did that?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:21 - 27 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it loses the air fast then the valve i probably gone, a revalve is about 60 to 80 quid i think, could be less.

for the forks, give them a good hard rub down with autosol first, might save you needingto rechrome. also instead of new springs, just use some heavier weight oil and overfill by 5cc or so.

down gearing will mean it revs up quicker and uses a little more fuel, but its most probably worth it - generally if you feel its worth downgearing you might as well do it, hardly an expensive jbo to go back on.

to get it all done at a dealer would cost a bit, new piston and rings alone would cost you about 3 hours labour at an honest garage, probly more. when i had the 50 rebuilt that was 200 quid all in.

which bearings? if you have a centre/paddock stand wheel bearings are fairly easy, never done headraces so i cant comment but i think you need a torque wrench to do the top nut back up to the correct torque, and you will need one if you decide to go below the cylinder head yourself.

and a gasket set. always worth remembering.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:02 - 27 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, bearings are a couple of quid. Pair of front wheel bearings for Scottys bike were £4 each. Piston (get a Honda one) will be between £50 and £100, plus a gasket set.

Probably need to check over the rear suspension linkages to see how they are. About £50 ~£100 for the parts depending on how much needs replacing.

For rechrome is £60>. There is a set of NSR forks on Ebay at the moment for £25.

For the rear shock rebuild it will depend if they can get the spares. There is no UK Marzocchi importer (the old one had an awful reputation), but the Italian distributor will deal direct but can take quite a while (which is why I bought 20 fork seals for the Bimota when I needed a couple).

As to labour, err, it will cost you a few games of Red Alert Laughing

If you manage to sort out insurance then you can borrow the Cagiva if the NSR needs to be off the road for a few days

All th ebest

Keith

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 14:10 - 27 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

red alert, i kick ass at that!
ill kick all your ass's at it!!

well that was kinda of subject but hey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1